PDA

View Full Version : Miller Falls no 18

Jerry Thompson
05-11-2009, 6:14 PM
A freind just send me the above plane that he found in an antique shop in Deadwood, SD. I don't think it has really been used. There is no rust and no pitting and all of the finish is 100%. It has the MF blade etc. He gave them $40 for it and I got it for nothing.
Is this a good plane? I plan on tuning it up and sharpening it in the next few days to see how it works.

George Clark
05-11-2009, 6:23 PM
Pictures, pictures, we need pictures.:D

Jerry Thompson
05-11-2009, 7:05 PM
As soon as my camera gets back from my daughter's house I will post pics.

Martin Cash
05-11-2009, 8:17 PM
If it is in the condition that you say then it will be a fine plane.
Millers Falls made great stuff and their planes - even those made under contract to others - are very well made. They must have had excellent quality control I haven't ever seen a bad one.
Cheers
MC

Philip Duffy
05-12-2009, 5:05 AM
I have one of those and it will take 1/1000th of an inch off any plank I ask it to! Marvelous quality and completly controllable. Congratulations!

George Sanders
05-12-2009, 5:29 AM
I have their smoothing plane and it's the first one I reach for. Wish I had more of them.

Martin Cash
05-12-2009, 8:19 AM
If it is in the condition that you say then it will be a fine plane.
Millers Falls made great stuff and their planes - even those made under contract to others - are very well made. They must have had excellent quality control I haven't ever seen a bad one.
Cheers
MC

They are a thing of beauty are they not?

Dave Matson
05-12-2009, 12:42 PM
...after leveling a workbench for my woodshop class

http://www.filehive.com/files/090512/mf18fore.jpg (http://filehive.com)

This second generation type 2 was purchased on ebay for $27 w/o shipping. The fore planes seem under-valued compared to other sizes.

David Gendron
05-12-2009, 12:56 PM
there is a bunch on the bay... and one espacialy, a #22c.. brand new... I did place a bid but I don't think I will get it! Go have a look!

Stu Gillard
05-12-2009, 8:23 PM
I don't see many MF planes here in Australia, but I was luck enough to pick one up off the bay for about $15 US.
It's an MF #14 (#5 jack size). I must say I like the 2 piece lever cap. It's capable of very fine shavings. I'm keeping an eye out for more MF planes if they pop up.
Here's a couple of before cleaning and after cleaning pics.

Erik Manchester
05-12-2009, 8:36 PM
I have a few old Stanleys that have been fettled and do great work, however I really think that the MF planes are at least as good and usually priced much less than a comparable Stanley. The red frogs and sharp looking lever caps enhance the LCF (look cool factor).

Here are a few of the better ones in my shop.

Erik

Louis Bois
05-14-2009, 8:25 AM
...yup...I like Millers Falls stuff too...but just to look at. The quality is horrible...they're basically unusable...and Stanley's stuff is far superior! So don't bid on any of them that show up on Flea-Bay!!!;):D

http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff19/mrpunchinello/MFPLanes.jpg

...from a confessed MF-aholic...:rolleyes:

Tom Adger
05-14-2009, 6:21 PM
Everybody listen to Louis! Stay away from MF on Ebay! (Now Louis, we need to get together so we are not bidding against each other the next time a MF winner shows up on Ebay).

Tristan Raymond
05-20-2009, 4:11 PM
there is a bunch on the bay... and one espacialy, a #22c.. brand new... I did place a bid but I don't think I will get it! Go have a look!

Looks like you got it, congratulations! It sure is pretty, hope it works as good as it looks!

David Gendron
05-20-2009, 4:21 PM
Yes indeed i got it... But did my home work after puting my bid and it look like it as the black frog... Is that a bad thing? I hoppe this plane is not a piece of junk!!
David

robert hainstock
05-20-2009, 7:59 PM
My old daddy had an assortment of MF tools, and with three older brpothers, I was lucky enough to score two or three. No plane though. Any I''ve ever used are superior to most Stanley stuff. Like how can you build a better 16oz hammer, or nail pulling crowsfoot? They just feel good in the hand.
Bob