PDA

View Full Version : Anybody have a Rockwell Jawhorse?

Dick Sylvan
05-11-2009, 3:33 PM
Looked good on the infomercial I saw, but it was an infomercial!!

Tim Elder
05-11-2009, 3:49 PM
Bought one for myself for Christmas.

It's not perfect, but it really comes in handy sometimes. I was worried about the quality, but it is heavy duty, no complaints. It's heavy, like 40-50 lbs. I read some opinions online where people had somehow damaged the locking mechanism, but honestly I'm not sure how they did it. I've done the exact same thing accidentally with no ill affects.

It really excels at being that extra pair of hands you need sometimes. It will not replace your sawhorse, though. It's basically a mobile vise, that's it. The vise itself is very easy to use and presents a great deal of clamping pressure. Also, the 3 legged design is quite stable. Although you tip it over from certain directions, you'd really have to try. My shop is pretty small and I've been toying with the idea of mounting some of the smaller bench tools (grinder, sharpener, bench sander) on mounting plywood boards with a 2x6 attached to the bottom. I could then clamp them in the JH when I needed. All the tools could be stored one above the other in a simple cabinet with groves dadoed out for the plywood. Should save a lot of room.

I would like to see some changes, like an easier way to carry it or a way to attach a 2x4 on top it so that it could be used like a traditional sawhorse.

For the price I'm very happy with it. (BTW, not many people have these around here so i get to show it off, which is always nice)

Greg Crawford
05-11-2009, 4:05 PM
Dick,

I work at the North Houston Woodcraft, and we have one on the showroom floor to put through the paces. If you're closer to the SW store, you can call them to see if they have one out.

I think it's built better than the Triton version, but I don't own one. It's just from what I've seen and done with them at work.

Hope this is OK to post and not seen as advertising for WC.

Wade Lippman
05-11-2009, 4:19 PM
I just got one. Looks like it should work well, but I really haven't had a chance to use it yet.

I got it on Ebay for $180 shipped, less a $23 MS rebate. That's much less then retail, so check ebay out.

Nick Mastropietro
05-14-2009, 12:50 PM
I purchased one several months ago along with the jaw extension that allows a 4' wide sheet of plywood to be clamped. It’s built like a tank; you would have to try really hard to break it. It is a bit heavy but does have a roller built into it that allows you to pull / push it around like luggage. As most of us are woodworkers here, I believe we could come up with a solution that would allow this device to be used as a traditional saw horse, although I haven't been in a situation where I couldn't geter done! Overall I'm not disappointed with the purchase.

Frank Hagan
05-15-2009, 1:41 AM
Dick,

I work at the North Houston Woodcraft, and we have one on the showroom floor to put through the paces. If you're closer to the SW store, you can call them to see if they have one out.

I think it's built better than the Triton version, but I don't own one. It's just from what I've seen and done with them at work.

Hope this is OK to post and not seen as advertising for WC.

I was going to mention that I saw one in our local Woodcraft store too (Ventura, CA).