PDA

View Full Version : Noden Adjust-A-Bench for outfeed support?

Jason White
05-11-2009, 2:58 PM
Been thinking about getting the Noden Adjust-A-Bench for my shop because my "workbench" (a solid core door on a 2x4 frame) also doubles as outfeed support for my tablesaw. I have a small shop and the Noden seems like it would give me lots of options. I'm also tall and like having things up higher for certain operations.

Anybody have one of these and like it (or not)?

Jason

David Hite
05-11-2009, 3:36 PM
I use it for just that purpose. I mounted the top of my Sjobergs bench on the Adjust-a-bench. My bench is parallel to my table saw, on the outfeed side of the saw. I notched a couple of 4' 1x4s so that the notch fits over the back-side rail of my saw, about 1/16" below the table saw surface, and the other end of the boards rest on the top of my bench. I have about 3.5' between the back of my table saw and my bench which is adequate to move around. I think I'll make one more board. Three would work a little better.

When I'm not using the outfeed feature, I just remove the boards.

Of course, you have to be careful about not leaving anything in harms way on top of the bench. I neglected to do that last night and managed to push a bowl full of screws onto the floor with the sheet of plywood I was ripping. What a mess.

The only problem is that I'm gonna have to figure out what to do with the nice workbench legs that came with the Sjobergs bench.

David

Jason White
05-11-2009, 4:48 PM
Why the need for the additional boards? Can't you just use the workbench top as the outfeed table?

Jason

I use it for just that purpose. I mounted the top of my Sjobergs bench on the Adjust-a-bench. My bench is parallel to my table saw, on the outfeed side of the saw. I notched a couple of 4' 1x4s so that the notch fits over the back-side rail of my saw, about 1/16" below the table saw surface, and the other end of the boards rest on the top of my bench. I have about 3.5' between the back of my table saw and my bench which is adequate to move around. I think I'll make one more board. Three would work a little better.

When I'm not using the outfeed feature, I just remove the boards.

Of course, you have to be careful about not leaving anything in harms way on top of the bench. I neglected to do that last night and managed to push a bowl full of screws onto the floor with the sheet of plywood I was ripping. What a mess.

The only problem is that I'm gonna have to figure out what to do with the nice workbench legs that came with the Sjobergs bench.

David

David Hite
05-11-2009, 5:49 PM
Not if I want to work on all sides of my bench.

Jason White
05-11-2009, 10:10 PM
Ah, I see.

Though I imagine getting the casters for the bench might solve that problem, too.

Not if I want to work on all sides of my bench.

Vince Shriver
05-11-2009, 11:15 PM
David, I have the Noden Bench and it is incredibly useful. I have it on casters, and although it weighs a ton, very easy to push from one location to another or, when needed, locks in place when I don't want it to roll. Great outfeed/infeed for bandsaw or tablesaw, adjusts up and down for assembly of large case work or small parts; wouldn't be without it. (BTW. very nice people to deal with as well.)

Jason White
05-12-2009, 2:28 PM
What are you using for a bench top?

David, I have the Noden Bench and it is incredibly useful. I have it on casters, and although it weighs a ton, very easy to push from one location to another or, when needed, locks in place when I don't want it to roll. Great outfeed/infeed for bandsaw or tablesaw, adjusts up and down for assembly of large case work or small parts; wouldn't be without it. (BTW. very nice people to deal with as well.)

David Hite
05-12-2009, 3:04 PM
Ah, I see.

Though I imagine getting the casters for the bench might solve that problem, too.

Well, yes and no. While it is possible to use the casters, I usually like to have them raised off the floor so the bench doesn't move when I use it. If they are raised, it's not very fast to engage them again. You have to go around to each one and turn the bolt enough to engage them, which can take a little time (find your wrench or cordless driver, find the right size socket, turn the bolt, etc.). Possible but a little time consuming.