PDA

View Full Version : PIN100 not countersinking

Mike Watts
05-11-2009, 2:21 PM
I am finally getting fed up with my PIN100. It has never countersunk the pins no matter what pressure I use and the support refuses to help since I have owned it for awhile. My question is do you think if I buy the Driver Maintenance Kit it will fix the problem? Has anyone else had this problem. I would love a Grex but cannot afford it right now.
Thanks,
Mike

Bill White
05-11-2009, 2:45 PM
Are you using the adquate air pressure? Is there a depth adjustment? I'm not up on a PIN100.
Bill

Mike Watts
05-11-2009, 3:34 PM
There is no depth adjustment except the line pressure. The manual indicates a range of 60 to 100 psi and I have tried the full range with little effect.

glenn bradley
05-11-2009, 3:48 PM
PC support should at least be able to tell you if the kit contains the parts to repair(?). I know their support stinks but I can usually get a response to an email after a week or so. At least you would know you were buying the right thing.

Richard McComas
05-11-2009, 4:21 PM
I am finally getting fed up with my PIN100. It has never countersunk the pins no matter what pressure I use and the support refuses to help since I have owned it for awhile. My question is do you think if I buy the Driver Maintenance Kit it will fix the problem? Has anyone else had this problem. I would love a Grex but cannot afford it right now.
Thanks,
Mike
I had the same problem with my pin nailer from day one (different brand). I took it over to the bench grinder and ground a little off the nose. Been working great ever since.

John Callahan
05-11-2009, 4:24 PM
Went through two Bostich's for the same reason ........ stopped sinking pins and bought a PIN100. It's been fine, go figure. A Grex is on my wish list- I miss the longer pins. How long have you owned it? ....irrc newer PC tools have a 3 year warranty. I'd call 'em and be persistent especially if it's always been that way. Porter Cable (888) 848-5175

Andy Bardowell
05-11-2009, 4:27 PM
Never had a problem with mine Mike, perhaps there is an issue and the maintenance kit would resolve it. How much do they want to sting you for the kit?

Ron Bontz
05-11-2009, 9:16 PM
I had an issue with my pin100 recently. The tip was slightly damaged. I could not tell just by looking at it. It just looked a little worn. I bought the replacement parts for the tip. 2 pieces. Replaced them and now it works fine. Seems like it cost me about $25.00. I have the older PC nailers, btw.:)

J.R. Rutter
05-11-2009, 11:26 PM
I had the same problem with my pin nailer from day one (different brand). I took it over to the bench grinder and ground a little off the nose. Been working great ever since.

Ditto for me with an Accuset. I also ground away some of the sides and face to get into corners better.

Mike Watts
05-11-2009, 11:32 PM
Thanks for the advice. I bought it when it first came out and thought it was supposed to just set the pins flush. That is why I did not complain to PC about it. It wasn't until I was reading SMC that it dawned on me it should be counter sinking the pins. I think I will try grinding the tip off a little. The refurb kit is only 19 but if I grind off the tip and it does not work then I can justify buying a new pinner since I "broke" this one. I assume I can take it down 1/32 or 1/16 without hurting it much.

Dave Lehnert
05-12-2009, 10:30 AM
It was my understanding that a pinner was not to sink the nails. Just make them flush.
Like one of the post said above. Grinding down the tip should do the trick.