PDA

View Full Version : Matching TS with Incra Fence

Bill Schmitz
05-11-2009, 2:09 PM
I am considering the purchase of a new TS and want to add and/or replace the stock fence with an Incra. I'm leaning towards buying Delta 36-979, which I can get for $500 at Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B000H0RNL2/ref=ord_cart_shr?%5Fencoding=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&v=glance

Since I'm going to be adding the Incra fence, it seemed reasonable to look for a saw without a fence, so I'm not wasting my money. Also, I don't have either the space or the budget for a cabinet or hybrid saw. And, I'm not convinced that a bench top or portable saw will save me enough money to justify them with their inherent shortcomings.

So, the question is, am I heading in the right direction? Are their any other contractor saws you would recommend? Does anyone else sell a saw without a fence? Frankly, if I could, I'd probably buy the comparable Jet if I could buy it without the fence . . . or if I could find a decent used one on Craigslist I'd do that, too. But so far, it seems like most of the saws on the Minneapolis Craigslist are pretty sketchy.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Bill

John Thompson
05-11-2009, 6:59 PM
$500 for a contractor without fence and then add a $400 fence system. I'm not sure where I personally see the savings, Bill. Do you already have an Incra fence or is there one I am not aware of that is less? And BTW.. a cabinet saw or hybrid takes no more space than a contractor saw. Actually.. probably less as a contractor saw has the motor hanging out the rear end which generally leads to a larger foot-print.

Good luck...

Sarge..

Mike Nguyen
05-11-2009, 8:03 PM
I was at Lowes about 2 weeks ago and saw this delta saw for $399

Cole Dunlay
05-11-2009, 8:09 PM
Get the Delta and you'll never look back.
Of course, the Incra fence on any contractor's saw is like a Rolls Royce front end on a Volkswagen beetle, but it sure will perform like the Rolls and not the VW.

Bill Schmitz
05-11-2009, 9:27 PM
Well, I understand that it's not "savings" to buy a TS and add a $400 fence . . . except that if you already know you will be buying an Incra fence and replacing the fence that comes on the saw, why buy a saw that has one? Its not like it isn't built into the price of the saw . . . so for me, buying a saw that without a fence makes sense.

And, I'd rather not have this question evolve into the pros and cons of the Incra fence. I've done my homework and made that decision already . . . I know some people will disagree with it, and that's fine, but knowing that's what I'm going to do, then how do I get the best bang for my buck in matching a saw to the fence?

And, as for the space issue, I wasn't aware how small the hybrids really were . . . so that argument kind of goes out the window, but when you add a $400 fence to a $1000 saw, the total is getting higher than I was hoping to go.

And, finally, Mike, at what Lowe's did you see the Delta for $399? I'm in the Minneapolis/St. Paul area . . . anywhere near here?

Thanks,
Bill

PS I love the idea of having my VW Beatle drive like a Rolls Royce:D

Steve Mellott
05-11-2009, 9:38 PM
Bill:

I have an Incra fence and I think it is great! If you have a space limitation, be aware that an Incra fence takes up a lot more room on the right side of the table than most other fences. (You may already know that.)

Steve

Mike Nguyen
05-12-2009, 12:05 AM
I saw it at Lowes in Irvine, California. I just tried to do a search on Lowes web page and it no longer show the Delta table saw. What it means is that this saw is no longer a stock item. You can call your local Lowes store and see if they have it. Usually, if an item is a non-stock item and they still have it, you may be able to ask them to give you some more discount.

Tim Elder
05-12-2009, 12:38 AM
That Delta was on closeout here in Louisiana at the nearest Lowes for $399 also. Didn't last long.

David Peterson MN
05-12-2009, 1:32 AM
I live west of minneapolis. Just keep watching craigslist everyday like i do. Good deals pop up all the time. (excellent condition PM 66, PM 73 DC and 6" jet closed base jointer for $1200 total in a package deal!!!) (also picked up a jointech IMP with the smart fence which is comparable to the incra for just over a hundred bucks) If you are patient, you will find a deal that matches your needs and your budget!

Vic Damone
05-12-2009, 2:05 AM
I have a contractor saw with an Incra fence and I also drive a 1966 Volkswagen convertible. Despite opinion the Incra fence makes any table saw a much better tool. Sell the saw but keep the fence.

Forgetting cost for a moment, are you going to use a contractor saw indoors? If so, have you given any thought to dust management, the dangers of dust, and the contractor saw footprint compared to a hybrid?

Bill Schmitz
05-12-2009, 7:03 AM
I live west of minneapolis. Just keep watching craigslist everyday like i do. Good deals pop up all the time. (excellent condition PM 66, PM 73 DC and 6" jet closed base jointer for $1200 total in a package deal!!!) (also picked up a jointech IMP with the smart fence which is comparable to the incra for just over a hundred bucks) If you are patient, you will find a deal that matches your needs and your budget!
Thanks, David. I'll keep looking. I do have a message into a guy who just put a Powermatic 64 Artisan saw up for $350.

Bill

Bill Schmitz
05-12-2009, 7:06 AM
I have a contractor saw with an Incra fence and I also drive a 1966 Volkswagen convertible. Despite opinion the Incra fence makes any table saw a much better tool. Sell the saw but keep the fence.

Forgetting cost for a moment, are you going to use a contractor saw indoors? If so, have you given any thought to dust management, the dangers of dust, and the contractor saw footprint compared to a hybrid?
Vic: glad to hear you like your Incra fence. As for dust collection, The saw will be used in our garage and driveway (when the weather is nice). I was planning on buying a reducer to hook up my shop-vac to the 4" dust ports that are on most of these saws. We'll see if that's sufficient or not.

Thanks,
Bill

Mark Versprille
05-12-2009, 7:37 AM
A 66 VW convertible ?!? That is so cool! That is going to be my "middle aged crazy" car.

As for your Incra plans I can see where that fence will increase the potential of a TS, and allow you to take the fence with you as space and budget allow a beefier TS. I have been using a Rigid TS2400LS (contractors saw) for the past few years and it cuts pretty darn accurately after you get a good miter gauge and square up everything and its got enough power for up to 5/4 hardwoods (if you take it easy). It is just about the perfect saw for a trim carpenter on a job site,
On the down side ; dust, small table, dust, it's so light vibration does effect the cut (not a lot but with even the best fence your eyebrows may scrunch just a bit after a rip) , dust, short arbor so you can only run a 1/2" dado, dust (this dust thing really does twist my knickers. even with dust collection it's not much better than a circular saw).

Allen Brown
05-12-2009, 8:28 AM
I've been using an Incra on my 10" Craftsman Shop saw for about 10 years. I absolutely love the fence. However, lately I have been using my portable Dewalt 10" TS a lot more. The fence it comes with is never out of square, can easily do fine adjustments, will rip out to 25", and is a breeze to change the bevel. It is by far a much friendlier TS, not to mention easier to store, takes up less room, and collapsible stand.

Matt Moore
05-12-2009, 11:06 AM
You will love the Incra. I sure do. I have had it for years. The only thing I would change is the the router setup. I have my router on the right side of the saw. This required flipping the Incra fence to use the fence for the router. This means the TS is out of commission during that time. I make do, but I would probably use the router alot more if it was more accessible.

In the future, I want to have a dedicated router table with the incra router system on it and just the incra fence on the TS.

In regard to the selection of the TS. I have a Delta contractor saw and it has served me well. I modified it with a plate underneigh and some 4" piping and some plexiglass on the back and does a pretty good job with the dust. So there are options. With that said, doing it again, I would definately try to be patient to find a used cabinet saw. I could have easily found one for the price I paid for my table saw new. The next option would be to save the $ for a Sawstop saw.

Jerome Hanby
05-12-2009, 11:26 AM
Are you having to flip the fence because the positioner take up too much room on the right side? Just curious, haven't set mine up yet, but I have the 90+" rails and figured I would have enough room on the right side for any "normal" router operation

You will love the Incra. I sure do. I have had it for years. The only thing I would change is the the router setup. I have my router on the right side of the saw. This required flipping the Incra fence to use the fence for the router. This means the TS is out of commission during that time. I make do, but I would probably use the router alot more if it was more accessible.

In the future, I want to have a dedicated router table with the incra router system on it and just the incra fence on the TS.

In regard to the selection of the TS. I have a Delta contractor saw and it has served me well. I modified it with a plate underneigh and some 4" piping and some plexiglass on the back and does a pretty good job with the dust. So there are options. With that said, doing it again, I would definately try to be patient to find a used cabinet saw. I could have easily found one for the price I paid for my table saw new. The next option would be to save the $ for a Sawstop saw.

Matt Moore
05-12-2009, 12:00 PM
Are you having to flip the fence because the positioner take up too much room on the right side? Just curious, haven't set mine up yet, but I have the 90+" rails and figured I would have enough room on the right side for any "normal" router operation

Well, I have the shorter system. I have room to the right side. I think the problem is that I have the router table flipped so the router is to the right side of the table and under the lock lever. I did this, thinking that it would be easier to work the router from the end of the table. Now, I know that was a mistake. Maybe I will just switch it around so the router is closer to the table saw and it would eliminate my problem. I just did not really like the idea of working from the front/back of the saw and not being able to walk around the end as working a piece.

This got me thinking now and I am in a project at this time where I am trying really hard to do all the table saw work before switching to the router but knowing that there will be something I forget or will make a mistake or something and will have to switch it back around.... I think I will flip the router table.

John Thompson
05-12-2009, 12:34 PM
Bill.. I would never question the purchase of the Incra fence to use as your permanent as I am an Incra fan with two miter gauges and a just recieved 29-49 telescoping fence. But.. I will add a comment for thought other than my original ones.

If.. you do get the Delta without fence.. how much more is one with a fence? I didn't look to see if one is even available but I did have a thought. If you can get one with a fence for say $75 more I would get it even though you are going Incra.

I have upgraded TS's around 5 times in 38 years. Even though you may not feel you will at this point.. don't rule it out. In each case I sold the old saw. Used saws are hard to sell without a fence generally. You could puchase one if that happened but.. you will pay more by purchasing separately.

So.. if you were to upgrade you would have a fence for the saw after you took the Incra off to put on your upgrade. Again.. just a thought if the price doesn't vary greatly with or without the stock fence and I really can't answer that in this case.

Good luck with whatever you do...

Sarge..

Jerome Hanby
05-12-2009, 1:47 PM
I think someone on the mill had the Delta T2 fence for sale at a reasonable price. They've also been known to pop up at good prices at Lowes...

Bill.. I would never question the purchase of the Incra fence to use as your permanent as I am an Incra fan with two miter gauges and a just recieved 29-49 telescoping fence. But.. I will add a comment for thought other than my original ones.

If.. you do get the Delta without fence.. how much more is one with a fence? I didn't look to see if one is even available but I did have a thought. If you can get one with a fence for say $75 more I would get it even though you are going Incra.

I have upgraded TS's around 5 times in 38 years. Even though you may not feel you will at this point.. don't rule it out. In each case I sold the old saw. Used saws are hard to sell without a fence generally. You could puchase one if that happened but.. you will pay more by purchasing separately.

So.. if you were to upgrade you would have a fence for the saw after you took the Incra off to put on your upgrade. Again.. just a thought if the price doesn't vary greatly with or without the stock fence and I really can't answer that in this case.

Good luck with whatever you do...

Sarge..

Bill Schmitz
05-14-2009, 8:32 AM
Thanks for all the advice. It really helped in my search, and I'm happy to say that I found and bought a very nice 6 year-old Dewalt 746 hybrid saw with a mobile base for $500. I think it will be a very nice saw when paired with the Incra fence, and I stayed within my $1000 budget.

Thanks again,
Bill