PDA

View Full Version : Easter at last...

Tamara Brown
05-11-2009, 1:11 PM
I just found an e-mail from LOML with the eggs that I did for our clubs April challenge. I didn't even realize he had photographed them...I've been a little busy with work. Eggs are tough...the tulipwood made me cry :(, of course it was after I busted a brand new tool. Anyway, thought I would share. They are Tulipwood, Box Elder dyed blue and mahogony with inlace. Let me know what you think! :D

Ken Fitzgerald
05-11-2009, 1:18 PM
Very nice Tamara!

BTW....flowers make my wife cry too!:rolleyes:

OHHHH! You said "tulipwood"!:D

Bernie Weishapl
05-11-2009, 1:53 PM
Great looking eggs Tamara. Well done.

Steve Schlumpf
05-11-2009, 2:04 PM
Very nice work Tamara! Really like the dyed egg!

Burt Alcantara
05-11-2009, 2:20 PM
Usually, I don't care much for eggs and ornaments, but these are beautiful, especially the dyed one. Care to elaborate on how you did this? From the picture, it looks like marble.

Tamara Brown
05-11-2009, 3:03 PM
Care to elaborate on how you did this? From the picture, it looks like marble.

Simple, the wood did all the work. I mixed the analine dye in a cup and just dipped the egg in and rolled it around, just like an easter egg. The dye took really well in some of the spots and not in others, like the knot areas. It was my first time dying anything as well, and I might have to do it again.

By the way Ken, flowers make me cry as well...because now all I want is gorgeous and exotic woods.

Nathan Hawkes
05-11-2009, 9:25 PM
I just found an e-mail from LOML with the eggs that I did for our clubs April challenge. I didn't even realize he had photographed them...I've been a little busy with work. Eggs are tough...the tulipwood made me cry :(, of course it was after I busted a brand new tool. Anyway, thought I would share. They are Tulipwood, Box Elder dyed blue and mahogony with inlace. Let me know what you think! :D

A broken tool that you just acquired is a reason to cry! Care to share what happened? I've broken my share of things. Just curious; did you have any problems with the grain raising from the dye? I've thought about doing it on a few pieces of maple burl I've been saving for stoppers.

Richard Madison
05-11-2009, 11:02 PM
Very nice eggs, Tamara. They look more "egg-shaped" than mine, and "form" is said to be most important. Nice work!

Brian Brown
05-12-2009, 12:50 AM
A broken tool that you just acquired is a reason to cry! Care to share what happened?

I mentioned the "trauma" in this earlier thread. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=107458

Good company, trauma over.