PDA

View Full Version : Rough lumber source in Central MA?

Michael Poller
05-11-2009, 10:10 AM
Hi All,

I have searched the forums, but either missed, or was unable to find any other posts that asked this question.

I now have my planer and jointer (gloat coming soon when I find time to take and post pics) and want to start buying some rough wood to work with.

I live in Sturbridge in Central MA and am wondering if there are any good spots for rough lumber in that area.

Best I seem to find via web searches is the CWG Hardwood Outlet in Enfield, CT. Does anyone have comments about this place?

I'm new to the rough wood world and would like to get some experience selecting and buying in person before taking the web based ordering leap of faith.

Thanks in advance,
Michael

John Coloccia
05-11-2009, 11:12 AM
Parkerville in Machester,CT has a pretty good selection. Their lumber's kiln dried from their suppliers, and they also have a full shop that can mill stuff if you'd like. For example, I needed to sticker some wood over the weekend. We grabbed a bunch of poplar boards, and he whipped out 40 sticks for me in a few minutes. Labor charge was $16, or something like that. It would have taken me a couple of hours.

They also carry some tools. Two Cherries chisels, I think they're a Rikon dealer...stuff like that. And they're staff is very helpful.

I haven't tried CWG yet, although I've been meaning to check them out. Maybe this week sometime.

From Sturbridge, I think it's probably about the same to Enfield as it is to Manchester. Instead of heading over on the pike, you'd just shoot down 84.

Joe Cunningham
05-11-2009, 11:30 AM
CWG is great, nice selection, they cross-cut for me no charge (to fit in my small SUV). They also will plane 2S for you no charge.

Parkerville is impossible to find. Drove around for a hour looking for it, gave up and went to CWG even though it is about 20+ miles out of my way.

Michael Poller
05-11-2009, 12:24 PM
Thanks for the replies so far.

Looks like distance wise, they are about the same, but Parkerville is a faster ride since it's just off 84 for me. Will probably check them out first.

Will try and check them out. I do wish there was a place closer so I could more easily swing by to grab some wood for a project if the mood strikes.

John Lanciani
05-11-2009, 12:35 PM
Forest Products Associates in Greenfield MA. Add .com to the name for their website.

John

Greg Cuetara
05-11-2009, 12:38 PM
Michael,
Not really sure about lumber sources where you are but you can check out woodfinder.com and go from there.

Also, my 2.3 cents, the worse time to buy wood is when you need it. The best thing to do is to have a stash in your basement or garage just sitting there waiting for you. If you can find a good deal buy it up and just sticker it there to acclimate to your relative humidity. Look on Craigslist or Unclehenrys. When you buy rough lumber it may or may not be kiln dried or air dried sufficiently. If you are really concerned you should pick up a moisture meter so that you can check out the boards. Once I get rough lumber home I sticker it in my basement and dont' touch it for at least a month or two. It takes some planning if you are building a project but you want to make sure that the lumber has acclimated to 'your' climate. There are times where the lumber could be too dry and get into your shop where the relative humidity is higher...you go to joint and plane the board and it cups and twists on you after you have finished your milling process.

Milling your own lumber gives you a great deal more of control but also comes some patience with it. A lot of people have stashes of lumber that they can just go to when they are in the mood for a project or need 'another' board which have already acclimated to their climate. IMHO it is more important in the northeast because of the large swings in humidity from the winter to the summer and back to winter. MY Red Oak floors shrink up with 1/32" gaps between the boards in the winter time and then they swell up nice and tight during the summer.

Good luck.
Greg

John Coloccia
05-11-2009, 1:26 PM
CWG is great, nice selection, they cross-cut for me no charge (to fit in my small SUV). They also will plane 2S for you no charge.

Parkerville is impossible to find. Drove around for a hour looking for it, gave up and went to CWG even though it is about 20+ miles out of my way.

LOL....took me a bit to find it the first time. If you ever do it again, it's actually pretty easy, but you wouldn't know it from a map. A map will send you into a dead end street.

You actually have to go like you're going to the Manchester post office. Then you go straight past the post office, and after a minute or so you'll see a small sign on the right for Parkerville. If you call them for directions, they'll give you all the street names.

Daniel Kennedy
05-11-2009, 1:43 PM
I live in Brookfield so I am really interested to see if anyone else ends up with some good contacts. Here are a couple that I have used and am happy with.

http://www.barretteshardwood.com/
Barrerte's quality hardwood.

Shawn Roberts woodworking.
It's in Gilbertville. No website. Ask for Shawn.

I haven't tried the ones below, but they are on my list of places to try:
http://www.kellogghardwoods.com/lumber.htm
http://www.tallonlumber.com/lumber.htm#cabinet
http://www.groffslumber.com/index.html

I also know a guy with a sawmill in Charleton who sells pine to order if you don't mind waiting for it to dry. PM me and I'll send you the info.

Joe Cunningham
05-11-2009, 2:00 PM
LOL....took me a bit to find it the first time. If you ever do it again, it's actually pretty easy, but you wouldn't know it from a map. A map will send you into a dead end street.

You actually have to go like you're going to the Manchester post office. Then you go straight past the post office, and after a minute or so you'll see a small sign on the right for Parkerville. If you call them for directions, they'll give you all the street names.

LOL. Ah, yes the dead end staring at a loading dock, saying "Uh, what the heck?" Drive around, head on a swivel, go past the same place 3 times, never find it, decide my Sat is wasting away and I know where CWG is...

I should try again. They are definitely closer mileage-wise.

Joe Little
05-12-2009, 8:16 AM
I'd suggest you get to Forest Products Associates in Greenfield. Great selection, pricing and extremely well organized.

Russ Kay
05-12-2009, 12:24 PM
If you head in the other direction, I've had good luck at two places in north central Mass (I live in Worcester).

First is New England Hardwood Supply, 100 Taylor Street in Littleton (just off Route 2 & 495). They sell their shorts and odd bits at very good prices, and you can just go in and pick what you want. They mainly carry the standards: red and white oak, maple, ash, cherry, mahogany, some poplar.

Second is The Woodery Lumber Company, 104 Pleasant Street, off 2A in Lunenburg, Mass near the Fitchburg line. Despite the goofy name, they carry a lot of stuff: domestics, exotics, rough and S4S, and lots of plywood. They aren't cheap, but their prices are fair enough, and the service is excellent. They do charge for cutting down pieces or plywood, but for me the selection makes up for that.

Mike Cutler
05-12-2009, 2:38 PM
LOL. Ah, yes the dead end staring at a loading dock, saying "Uh, what the heck?" Drive around, head on a swivel, go past the same place 3 times, never find it, decide my Sat is wasting away and I know where CWG is...

I should try again. They are definitely closer mileage-wise.

Joe

You also have a small independent supplier on Browning Rd., in Griswold off 138, about 10 miles north of you.
I have his name and website addy at home. I'll post it later when I get a chance

Dave Avery
05-12-2009, 10:06 PM
I MUCH prefer Parkerville over CWG......

John Keeton
05-13-2009, 5:51 AM
Also, my 2.3 cents, the worse time to buy wood is when you need it. The best thing to do is to have a stash in your basement or garage just sitting there waiting for you. If you can find a good deal buy it up and just sticker it there to acclimate to your relative humidity. Look on Craigslist or Unclehenrys.Obviously, I know nothing of wood sources in MA, but I am with Greg on this one. If you have the space, craigslist is a very good source. I have purchased wood several times this way, and one is prone to not pay too much since there is not an immediate need. Not only is the quality better, and, as Greg says, the wood acclimates better, but overall, you will pay considerably less.

Michael Poller
05-13-2009, 9:12 AM
Thanks everyone. This was really helpful.

I'll be checking nearly every one of these places out one by one to see where I like best and it will be great experience as I learn about buying rough wood.

Unfortunately right now space is not that great for me to have a large stockpile of wood, otherwise I would already be all over craigslist and borrowing my friends pickup to grab wood.

For now it will have to be purchased on a per project basis. Though when doing so, of course i'll end up buying a little extra, sbesides the standard 10% or so extra for the project itself. After a few projects that will add up to a nice stockpile for me to learn with.