PDA

View Full Version : Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments.....

Dennis Peacock
05-11-2009, 9:16 AM
11 May 2009

Good morning everyone,

It's been a trying week for me. We've been told at the day job that there will be "other" employment opportunities coming our way in the not too distant future, so I guess we'll see what that is all about when that time comes.

N woodworking for me this weekend as my dad has been taken via ambulance to the hospital. Today they will do a heart cath on him. He's already had bypass surgery about 15 years ago.

I do have woodworking things to get done, but I just can't seem to get to them right now. With dealing with issues from my oldest son, to working problems? It just seems that the load keeps getting heavier.

Any way, in the works are some cutting boards, a master bedroom suit for the LOML and I as well as a hope chest and cedar blanket chest for my daughter.

Well, that's it for me.....so what did YOU do this past weekend?

Best of weeks to you all.

Ken Higginbotham
05-11-2009, 9:31 AM
Hi Dennis - Hope your Dad does well. Your post made me think about my Dad and how fortunate I am to still have him around at 79 :) I think I'll go by and see him when I get off work today.

And hope your 'employment opportunities' pan out.

Kevin Arceneaux
05-11-2009, 9:51 AM
Crawfish boil Friday night
Saturday morning we got the wood cut for the chicken house (can't say coop - way to nice for that.) I got a huge deal on plywood and siding at Lowes. I found a cart with about $300 worth of plywood, etc on it that was damaged (though on the siding I couldn't find any damage) for $40.
Saturday Afternoon - Family reunion and then cloths for my son's High School graduation next Saturday
Sunday - Mother's Day - went to Don's Seafood in Lafayette for that.

Ken Fitzgerald
05-11-2009, 9:55 AM
Worked late out of town on Friday evening.

Saturday, Took the LOML out for breakfast, turned some knobs and did some shopping for some tile for our upstairs bathroom.

Sunday, fixed breakfast for the LOML, worked on the sprinkler sytem, mowed and trimmed the yard. Then....went to the oldest son's for Mother's Day dinner.

Matt Meiser
05-11-2009, 9:56 AM
All of my brothers were all in town this weekend so I didn't do any woodworking yet again. Saturday we all went to my daughter's riding lesson. I have a feeling my weekends are going to start looking like Jim Becker's here. Sunday a couple of my brothers helped me with my hand-me-down bike (three of my four brothers are SERIOUS bike riders, one works at a bike shop, one designs bikes for a living, and one has a lot of disposable income to spend at the other two's places of employment so its a pretty good hand-me down) and showed me how to use our new bike carrier so that I can get a hitch set up on our camper. Sunday evening I washed and vacuumed both of our vehicles including a deep cleaning of LOML's car inside and out. Tonight we'll shampoo her interior as well. After that, there are no pressing home projects--remodeling projects are all done, the yard is in fair shape other than mulch which I'll do Memorial Day weekend, and most of our spring cleanup is done so I should be able to get back to work on my planer and get going on cabinet design for my parent's kitchen which will probably be reaching the go/no go for fall construction within the next few weeks.

Jim O'Dell
05-11-2009, 10:35 AM
Sat am got up, cleaned up and went to try to find a hex wrench to fit the Jesada bearing collar I'm having trouble with. Got a haircut, then picked up some dog food. Back to the house, LOML still teaching, got real dizzy and had to lay down for about 3 hours. Still wobbly after that, so stayed away from the shop. Late in the day burned some dead fall so it doesn't pile up.
Sunday finished cutting up the tree limb that had fallen 2 weeks ago, and got that stacked up. Then destroyed the next to last blank I had to make the ZCI. After lunch, went after the last one and devised a way to keep the bearing from riding up, so got the ZCI finished and usuable. Still need something better than MDF for the inserts. Will have to search for some 1/4" Baltic Birch, then make a batch of them.
Called Mom for Mothers Day since I was afraid to drive after the dizzy spell Sat. She put Dad on the phone after a while, and he wants me to pick up the rest of his tools that I want. I sure hate to see his eyesight get this bad. He has always tinkered and fixed things, and built things for neighbors. I'm afraid of what will happen if he totally loses his sight.
Dennis, we'll be praying for your Dad's medical issues. Jim.

glenn bradley
05-11-2009, 10:36 AM
I completely tore down, cleaned, moved, aligned and reassembled my tablesaw/router table to add more table surface.

Brett Clark
05-11-2009, 11:10 AM
Well, for my first official post (been lurking for a while)...

I completed my first workbench Saturday afternoon. It's one from a New Yankee Workshop book. Simple (to match my current skill level), but should be functional for a while.

Ken Higginbotham
05-11-2009, 11:36 AM
The finish compliments the calico cat - :p

Brett Clark
05-11-2009, 11:53 AM
Yeah, that's the workshop safety supervisor. He follows me into the shop every time I go in there.

Kirk Chester
05-11-2009, 1:47 PM
Saterday, I built 2 4'x8' planter boxes for the LOML to have a garden in. Repaired a sprinkler at a rental house, and planted the start of a garden in the planters.

Sunday, built and installed a 16' double gate to finish up the ceder fencing on our new house.

Made for a long weekend, but I felt productive.

Philip Johnson
05-11-2009, 2:38 PM
I patiently sat around and waited and waited for for a new planner and jointer to arrive this week. Finally could not take it and went to the local Woodcraft store and picked up a new Jessum miter gauge and a dial indicator and came home and tuned up the old saw.

Fred Voorhees
05-11-2009, 7:30 PM
Spent about six hours on Saturday and seven hours on Sunday doing garden and yard work around the house since Mother Nature decided to slack off of the rain for a little bit. I was just about ready to stock my yard with pheasants if the grass got any higher. Saturday afternoon, our son and his wife visited to give my wife a Mothers Day gift and for us to see our grandson once again. Saturday night was devoted to the local dirt track stock car races where I won a pair of Randy Travis tickets for Sunday night. Between the yard work and the concert Sunday, that was it for the end of the weekend.

Jim Rimmer
05-11-2009, 10:29 PM
11 May 2009

Good morning everyone,

It's been a trying week for me. We've been told at the day job that there will be "other" employment opportunities coming our way in the not too distant future, so I guess we'll see what that is all about when that time comes.

N woodworking for me this weekend as my dad has been taken via ambulance to the hospital. Today they will do a heart cath on him. He's already had bypass surgery about 15 years ago.

I do have woodworking things to get done, but I just can't seem to get to them right now. With dealing with issues from my oldest son, to working problems? It just seems that the load keeps getting heavier.

Any way, in the works are some cutting boards, a master bedroom suit for the LOML and I as well as a hope chest and cedar blanket chest for my daughter.

Well, that's it for me.....so what did YOU do this past weekend?

Best of weeks to you all.
Here's what i did this weekend (before and after). The windows in the fence are so my dog can see out.

Louis Rucci
05-11-2009, 10:35 PM
Worked on a toy box for my Urology Doctor's son. He's getting out of the Navy next week and I don't think I'll have it done on time. I promised him last year if he cured my bladdar cancer I'd build it. My first real project and it's going better than I expected. If all else fails, I'll ship him the components and he can do the final assembly.

Joe Mioux
05-11-2009, 10:46 PM
Being Mother's Day weekend, I had a lot of work. We made a lot of mom's smile.

Sunday, worked a bit at work (goes with owning your business) but also did a bunch of yard work.

Yard work continued this evening with spreading Milorganite and also burning out leaves between the rip rapped water way. Propane burners work great in this application.

joe

george wilson
05-11-2009, 10:55 PM
I stood in bed till noon.Then,I got tired and laid down.