PDA

View Full Version : Router Table Question

Ken Higginbotham
05-11-2009, 7:59 AM
I have a Milwaukee #5615 router and would like to mount it to a table. Do I need to buy an additional plate or anything like that? I've unscrewed the bottom plate to take a peek but not sure if it's a good idea to make a homemade plate to mount it to... :confused:

I could probably get by with a bench top router table if they make one for this router model...

http://www.newwoodworker.com/reviews/milw5615rvu.html

Thanks for any feed back - :)

Greg Hines, MD
05-11-2009, 10:11 AM
I have a Milwaukee #5615 router and would like to mount it to a table. Do I need to buy an additional plate or anything like that? I've unscrewed the bottom plate to take a peek but not sure if it's a good idea to make a homemade plate to mount it to... :confused:

I could probably get by with a bench top router table if they make one for this router model...

http://www.newwoodworker.com/reviews/milw5615rvu.html

Thanks for any feed back - :)

I would highly recommend a router plate for your table applications. It makes it much easier to change out bits if you can remove the entire router and the plate, than having to get up under the table to change them.

I have a phenolic plate, which has worked well for me. Lots of people recommend an aluminum plate, and when I replace mine, it will probably be either aluminum or steel. I like the idea of a steel plate, since you can then use magnetic feather boards and such with it.

Doc

glenn bradley
05-11-2009, 10:15 AM
I'm one who recommends aluminum and I totally agree with Greg on recommending a plate. A plate gives you flexibility with insert size and make adding a starting pin (when required) an easy affair. Now, an advantage for you that you may not be aware of; the 5615 body will accept the 5616 if you decide that you need more power in your table and want a hand held handy. Another advantage is that if you buy the appropriate plunge kit down the line you will have two fixed bodies and one can stay in the table.

Ken Higginbotham
05-11-2009, 10:43 AM
So I need to google / purchase a '5616' plate?

Bill White
05-11-2009, 2:40 PM
I used the Lee Valley plate kit (the less expensive one), and am well pleased. Got it right the first time. It will lift out of the table for hand held use. Comes with all the stuff to drill and mount.
Bill

Ken Higginbotham
05-11-2009, 5:06 PM
Thanks Bill. I'll look into that one...