PDA

View Full Version : Gold in the Flat Lands!

Carole Valentine
08-09-2004, 6:06 PM
It arrived today!:D
http://www.esva.net/~pchousecalls/pm54a_opt.jpg

That rascal is heavy! This is the "old folks" rig we used to get it together. Didn't trust the joists to hold it, thus the reinforcement. Will store that away for the next (and hopefully last) big machine which will be a lathe.

http://www.esva.net/~pchousecalls/helper1_opt.jpg

http://www.esva.net/~pchousecalls/helper2_opt.jpg

Cecil Arnold
08-09-2004, 7:04 PM
I'm green. Now we need pictures of wood stuff. I don't know anyone who is unhappy with anything powermatic, looks great.

Carole Valentine
08-09-2004, 7:06 PM
Now we need pictures of wood stuff.
Wood stuff??? You mean I am actually supposed to MAKE something and get sawdust all over these pretty new machines that keep taking up residence in my shop????;)

Jack Young
08-09-2004, 8:19 PM
Carole-

Nice machine. It'll do well by you. Now, I recall this morning you were getting your arms all twisted up in the chatroom by several guys about how much you needed a lathe. They did a dandy job, it appears. Ah, well, nearly every one of us is a candidate for Chapter XIII once we enter this open-ended hobby. Enjoy.

Jack

Bob Marino
08-09-2004, 8:43 PM
Nice piece of metal; they say the PM is the best of the 6" jointers with that extra length. Congrats!

Bob

Kelly C. Hanna
08-09-2004, 9:05 PM
Very nice jointer! That's a 'solid gloat'!!!

Jim Becker
08-09-2004, 9:38 PM
That's a 'solid gloat'!!!
Indubitably! What he said!

Byron Trantham
08-09-2004, 10:31 PM
I can see your smile from here! :D

Congrats and keep your fingers out of the spinny thing..... :p

Ken Fitzgerald
08-09-2004, 10:42 PM
Looks like a "Monster Gloat" to me! Congrats!

Dale Thompson
08-09-2004, 11:18 PM
Carole,
I don't gots one of them but I DO have the PM66 and the PM3520 Lathe. Some folks would not call it "Gold". They have some rather derogatory comments as to the color. ;) :) Whatever, Carole, I have never heard anyone complain about the performance of the "solid gold" machines. I love mine - you will too!!

Don't worry about getting sawdust on your new machine. It will gradually wear off with use. :)

Dale T.

Greg Heppeard
08-10-2004, 9:34 AM
Carole,

Just wait til you run your first board accross that thing....you'll wonder what you ever did without the longer bed. It's grrrrrrrrrrr8

James Carmichael
08-10-2004, 9:48 AM
Just sing to that old tune as you set it up, with new lyrics "It ain't heavy, it's my jointer".

Congrats, and thanks for sharing the pics.

Carole Valentine
08-10-2004, 9:51 AM
I agree Greg! I had been using my friends PM with the short table and this thing is like a dream come true! In addition, the jointed surfaces are like glass! My only dissapointment is face jointing stock 5/8" thick or under...it gets caught up under the guard. But I have been told that this is a problem with many jointers since they use similar guard designs. Going to work on a guard attachment that will solve that problem.

Tyler Howell
08-10-2004, 10:58 AM
Go Carole,

As a new Solid Gold Member myself I welcome you and wish you many happy adventures with your PM.
Good structural engineeing. Yes they are heavy.
I knew I'd never get my 66 down the stairs and all my friends have aging knees and backs like mine. Hired a crew, had them for an hour so I had them haul lumber, sheet goods, take out the garbage, and walk the dog to get my moneys worth.:p
Enjoy!;)

Tom Hoffman
08-11-2004, 11:57 PM
I too have that jointer and love it, however I don't like the 3-wheel design of that mobile base. I had to build "chock blocks" to keep that portable base from moving around while jointing boards. Even if you lock the front wheel, it still has a tendency to wiggle around on you - kind of a pain to set up every time you move the machine. If anyone has solved this problem differently, I'd like to know how.

Carole Valentine
08-12-2004, 12:11 AM
Tom,

I bet you did what I almost did! I too was concerned about not being able to lock anything but the swivel wheel on the base, but when I went to take the cartons to the dump, I discovered two locking knobs for the fixed wheels down in the bottom of the box! :o

Jim Becker
08-12-2004, 8:48 AM
Locking all three wheels should do the job...my TS doesn't move an iota on the same base design. Congrats on the new jointer, Carole! Use it often...and post more pictures of the results!! :D

Carole Valentine
08-12-2004, 10:49 AM
Won't be starting any "real" projects until it cools off a little this Fall and I can borrow a moisture meter to check some of this white oak I have drying in the other garage, but that hasn't stopped me from using my toy! Am currently making use of walnut scraps to make some nice ZCIs for my Table Saw (they certainly needed to be flat!), a crosscut sled and several other jigs I will need.

<Carole always having fun!>:D :D :D

Jim Becker
08-12-2004, 10:53 AM
Won't be starting any "real" projects until it cools off a little this Fall and I can borrow a moisture meter to check some of this white oak I have drying in the other garage...Drying lumber outdoors in a properly stickered stack with good natural air flow will work a bit better than indoors in a closed up space. And remember that oak generally takes longer to dry than some other species, especially white oak, and it may take up to 2 years to get down to an acceptable 10-12% MC or so if it's 4/4 material. (The actual MC will depend on your area's conditions) Oak dries slowly.

Alan Turner
08-12-2004, 6:12 PM
Carole,
Nice score. Please be careful as a jointer will not do your fingers much good. I only mention that because you said you were running scrap walnut, and it is on the little pieces that you might get bit a bit. Hope you are maiking a proper pusher as one of your first projects.
Alan

Jerry Olexa
08-12-2004, 6:34 PM
I'm green w envy for your gold machine! Enjoy and be safe!!:)

Joe Mioux
08-12-2004, 10:39 PM
Hi Carole:

Hope you have a lifetime of enjoyment with that dandy jointer!
Joe