PDA

View Full Version : Did anyone experiment with real Gold ?

Andrea Weissenseel
05-11-2009, 6:32 AM
don't mean engraving on gold, but putting gold on porcellaine. Some type of brush on and burn it in with the laser, like thermark works

Frank Corker
05-11-2009, 6:53 AM
Andrea, I have never tried this type of thing, but I did read in a modellers magazine about some stuff which is put onto a glue. I think the material is an ultra thin piece of plastic but gives the appearance of gold leaf and is semi permanent when applied to the glue. I was going to try it once but it all looked a bit messy.

onur cakir
05-11-2009, 7:04 AM
My wife uses gold on almost all of her works.

She uses "gold leaf" not "gilding leaf" materials used on painting frames.

The method she uses for turning gold leaves into some kind of paintable material is based on 17th century Ottoman technique. Some glue and honey is used for this process.

You can check her works with gold leaves from here;

http://esraart.deviantart.com/

Andrea Weissenseel
05-11-2009, 7:40 AM
Decent !

Onur, that is what I was thinking about, turning it into somekind of paintable material and burn it in with the laser. Did you try that ?

Dealing with that glue sounds messy, it sounds like the process you use for gold leaf. I just remember that I have a sample of Thermark which is like a brownish color and they told me that with experimenting with the laser settings you can turn it in almost a golden color. For special wedding articles, I just would love the idea of using real gold. And in my naivity ;) I thought I could use something like the porcellaine painters use and instead of burn it in an oven, laser it

Stephen Beckham
05-11-2009, 8:38 AM
Andrea,

My wife has some 24K gold paint that is used for ceramics. It is reddish in color and has to be fired in a Kiln before it turns to Gold (okay - the mixture's molecules change, yada, bada, bing, the reddish carrier evaporates leaving the shiney gold we know - or something like that).

I've attempted the borrowing of the tube once or twice with permission and was flatly denied. Being the good spouse I am, I've given up on it. One day I might go back and get my own tube, but apparently it's more expensive and more precious than Tupperware (which I can't use at the store either...) :eek:

onur cakir
05-11-2009, 8:48 AM
Decent !

Onur, that is what I was thinking about, turning it into somekind of paintable material and burn it in with the laser. Did you try that ?

Dealing with that glue sounds messy, it sounds like the process you use for gold leaf. I just remember that I have a sample of Thermark which is like a brownish color and they told me that with experimenting with the laser settings you can turn it in almost a golden color. For special wedding articles, I just would love the idea of using real gold. And in my naivity ;) I thought I could use something like the porcellaine painters use and instead of burn it in an oven, laser it

Hi Andrea,

Well i never tried to engrave it but it can be used to colorfill. You need to mix glue+honey+gold leaf and rub them all together with your fingers on a porcelain plate for around 2-4 hours to get the right consistency. After hours of rubbing you get paintable gold with finger&hand pain :)

To be honest its an expensive process and needs time&effort.

Bill Cunningham
05-12-2009, 9:00 PM
Andrea, I have never tried this type of thing, but I did read in a modellers magazine about some stuff which is put onto a glue. I think the material is an ultra thin piece of plastic but gives the appearance of gold leaf and is semi permanent when applied to the glue. I was going to try it once but it all looked a bit messy.

Ya I've seen that stuff in Michaels Craft shop.. It just looks like hot stamping foil to me.. Hot stamping foil stuck down with glue, will leave the gold colour on the glue after it drys, and you pull it off the plastic carrier .. I know when I was a kid, you always got a strip of it with the woodburning kit every boy got for Christmas at one time in his life, and you could use the hot iron to write in gold.. same stuff... I don't know if kids get wood burning kits any more.. Their probably deemed far too dangerous by the schools, and other nanny state authorities.. Remember when Lawn Darts where fun, and Mr. Potato Head really was a potato you stuck eyes and stuff in.. I rest my case..:cool:

George Brown
05-12-2009, 9:45 PM
Their probably deemed far too dangerous by the schools, and other nanny state authorities.. Remember when Lawn Darts where fun, and Mr. Potato Head really was a potato you stuck eyes and stuff in.. I rest my case..:cool:

Not to mention the chemistry sets!!!