PDA

View Full Version : Shop tour

Sam Layton
05-11-2009, 3:14 AM
I have finally got my shop up and running. It is far from being finished, but it is far enough along that I can begin building my kitchen and bath cabinets. I said that I would post some photo's, so here they are.

Sam

Sam Layton
05-11-2009, 3:18 AM
Two more photo's.

John Keeton
05-11-2009, 7:20 AM
Sam, great setup! I really like the way you have congregated your TS, planer and jointer in the center.

But, the best idea, which I have now converted to my own use, is the use of the lost space around the DC unit. I never thought of using that space for clamps, etc. Great idea! I have that on my list!

Art Mulder
05-11-2009, 7:28 AM
Wow. The way you have the planer and aircraft carri-- er, Jointer positioned is really slick. Looks like a great idea, great space savings.

The miter saw stand is also rather startling... Is there a story behind that? Did you score a great sale, or some other way of getting all those drawer units at once?

Don Bullock
05-11-2009, 9:46 AM
Sam, that's a fantastic shop. I would definitely agree that you're ready to cut some wood. You have some equipment in there that I've never seen before. Like John and Art I have gleaned some ideas for the shop I'll be setting up soon. Thanks for posting the pictures.

Brent Smith
05-11-2009, 9:55 AM
Good looking and well equiped shop Sam. Looks like it will be a comfortable place to make some shavings.

Jim O'Dell
05-11-2009, 10:01 AM
I see you really dislike changing bandsaw blades!!!
Nice shop. Looks like you have spent some time developing a pattern for your work, and placed the tools accordingly. Jim.

Greg Narozniak
05-11-2009, 10:20 AM
Great Lookin Shop!! Excellent use of space!

glenn bradley
05-11-2009, 10:32 AM
Great space Sam. Love the Dueling Bandsaws and like John; I am impressed by the wonderful and simple idea of the DC stand as a clamp rack. That has got to be one of the best "why didn't I think of that" things I have seen in a while.

David Hostetler
05-11-2009, 11:19 AM
Words simply fail to describe that... The only one that comes to mind is WOW.

Marc Schmitz
05-11-2009, 12:40 PM
Nice layout and collection of equipment, drool drool. I do have that same Welder though, used off of Ebay...

Steven DeMars
05-11-2009, 3:38 PM
I have finally got my shop up and running. It is far from being finished, but it is far enough along that I can begin building my kitchen and bath cabinets. I said that I would post some photo's, so here they are.

Sam

Looks very nice and well layed out . . . Just curious as to actual size of shop . . . . It does look roomy . . .

Steve:)

Angie Orfanedes
05-11-2009, 3:42 PM
Great looking shop. I second the comments on the aircraft carrier/jointer. Biggest I've ever seen.

Jerome Hanby
05-11-2009, 3:58 PM
Nice shop. I'd have to clean mine for two weeks just find the camera!

On a side note, does everyone in the universe have that same U-Haul bubble wrap box?:D

Sam Layton
05-11-2009, 5:12 PM
Thanks everyone for the great comments. I still have a lot of projects in the shop to complete. The major issues are cabinets so I can get stuff off of the floor, outfeed table for the tablesaw (current outfeed table is an old door), and finish my work bench. However, the kitchen cabinets need to come first, I think...

John, Glenn, the DC rack made into a clamp rack really works out good. I was trying to figure out where I was going to put my clamps (wall space needs to be for cabinets in my shop) and my good friend, Rick Potter suggested that I use the dust collector stand. The DC stand is bolted to the floor and is very secure. It works out great, I just left enough room so I could get the drum out. Thanks for the idea Rick.

The tablesaw, jointer and planer I use in every operation. I did not want to have to move them around to use them. So clustered together works good for me. After the wood comes out of the planer, the tablesaw outfeed table is real handy to put the wood on.

Art, I needed my miter saw station operational, and I needed storage. I did not want to spend the time to build the cabinets and drawers. Sears had a great sale on the tool boxes. So I figured that would make a great support for my miter saw and provide storage right away.

Jim, I do not like changing bandsaw blades. I purchased my bandsaw, and made a comment, maybe a few comments to my wife, that it would be nice to have another bandsaw so I would not have to change blades. The next Xmas, she gave me the second bandsaw. She is great about supporting my habit.

Steven, my shop is 750 sq ft (27 ft X 28 ft) with 10 foot ceilings.

Thank you again everyone for the great comments, Sam

Robert Reece
05-12-2009, 1:40 PM
Hi Sam-

That is a great looking shop. Love the MM jointer! Clamps on the DC, great idea.

Can you give me a few more shots of your miter saw stand? I have the same saw as you and I was wondering what to do with all the space behind the fence since the slider needs a lot of room. I'd like to see how it looks behind your fence.

How good is that dust collection hood on that miter saw?

Thanks

David Hostetler
05-12-2009, 3:20 PM
Sam,

To be honest, you have some stuff there I just don't have the foggiest idea what it is. I hope you don't mind the questions. But curiosity is getting the better of me....

In photo #1. What is that orange machine?
In photo #2. I recognize the mortiser, but what are the other two large machines there? The beige one is a mystery, the other one sort of looks like a thickness drum sander...
In photo #3. The machine to the right of the sawhorses. It looks like it might be a table saw minus the fence, with stuff piled on it. What is that thing?
In pic #4. 2 large band saws? We would have to assume you hate changing blades, but aside from that. What purpose does it serve? Also, what is that red machine hiding behind the rear most band saw? I am guessing Scroll saw...
In pic #s 5 and 6. Well... All I have to say is I think the Navy is looking for the U.S.S. Ronald Reagan... I bet the fence to that jointer weighs more than my entire jointer!
And lastly, in pic #7. All I have to say is nice... That is a LOT of drawer space there!

Sam Layton
05-13-2009, 1:40 AM
Hi Robert,

The dust collection is excellent. I would be happy to post some more photo's of the miter saw table. I will take the photo's tomorrow and post them tomorrow night.

David,

Don't mind the questions at all.

Photo #1, Is a Blum Minipress. It is used to drill the holes for Blum concealed hinges in cabinet doors. With an additional attachment it will drill the holes in cabinets so you can adjust the shelves. It drills 7 holes at a time. The wings on the stand raise up to make a large platform.

Photo #2, The beige base has a Multi-Router mounted to it. You can't see the router, it is on the back vertical plate which moves up and down. The table in front, which the woods mounts to moves side to side and back and forth. It is great for making mortises.

The machine next to it is a 37" double drum sander.

Photo #3, is a Delta shaper, with a powerfeed unit on top.

Photo #4, you are right, I do not like changing blades. One has a small blade for most work, and the other has a blade for resaw. Both functions are always ready to go. Scroll saw is correct.

The jointer is a 16", the bed is 103" long.

Rick Potter
05-13-2009, 2:38 AM
You guys are skirting around the best part of the shop....the box around the miter saw...the faces are held on with magnets, so Sam can angle the saw quickly. Perhaps he will grace us with pics of that feature along with the neat dust collector setup he incorporated in it.

Rick Potter

PS: I know for a fact, Sam took a long time cleaning it up to look like a model home.

Marc Casebolt
05-13-2009, 4:21 PM
That is one nice set up. Well done, on both the shop and your choice of wife. My wife is also supportive, but not THAT supportive.

I'll bet your tool dealer has a really nice boat.

Marc

Bruce Page
05-13-2009, 7:28 PM
Beautiful shop Sam. I like your lumber storage above the twin bandsaws!

David Hostetler
05-13-2009, 8:22 PM
The jointer is a 16", the bed is 103" long.

Do you need to radio the tower before landing lumber on that?

I think your planer is longer than my first "shop" (Apartment balcony).

Don Bullock
05-13-2009, 10:27 PM
You guys are skirting around the best part of the shop....the box around the miter saw...the faces are held on with magnets, so Sam can angle the saw quickly. Perhaps he will grace us with pics of that feature along with the neat dust collector setup he incorporated in it ...

I sure would be interested in seeing the pics. It sounds like a great idea.

Sam Layton
05-14-2009, 2:12 AM
Hi Robert and Don,

Here are the photo's of my miter saw station. Robert, there is a lot of space behind the fence. I put my battery charging station, along with nuts, bolts, screws, etc. I will figure out what to do with the rest later.

Photo #1, Shows end view, and space behind the fence.

Photo #2, Shows the other end.

Photo #3, Shows the front of the saw with the front of the hood installed. In this position I get excellent dust collection.

Photo #4 Shows both front sections removed so I can make angle and compound cuts. I still get very good dust collection.

Photo's #5 and 6, shows the saw angled at a 45 in each direction.

Photo #7, The front of the hood is held in place with rare earth magnets. One per side. One holds each side very secure.

Photo #8, Shows the dust collection. I have a 6" drop going into the side back of the hood. In addition, I put a 1 1/2" tube from the saw into the the 6" drop, approx 18" inside the 6".

When the saw is running, a lot of the dust automatically comes out of the saws 1 1/2" port. With the 1 1/2" tube attached to the saw and going into the DC 6" port I get extra suction.

If dust gathers in the corners, I just turn on the DC and blow compressed air into the hood and under the saw and everything gets cleaned.

Mark and Bruce, thanks for comments.

Dave, the long bed jointer really makes it nice with long stock.

Sam Layton
05-14-2009, 2:14 AM
Photo's 6-8

Sean Nagle
05-14-2009, 11:03 AM
Very clever hood design. Do you ever get any clogging in the 1-1/2" pipe?

Out of curiosity, how far from the back wall is your fence?

Sam Layton
05-14-2009, 11:30 AM
Hi Sean,

I never have got any clogs. Having the 1 1/2" tube inside of the 6" creates a lot of suction. The back of the fence to the wall is 13".

Sam

Pat Zabrocki
05-14-2009, 1:01 PM
Jim, I do not like changing bandsaw blades. I purchased my bandsaw, and made a comment, maybe a few comments to my wife, that it would be nice to have another bandsaw so I would not have to change blades. The next Xmas, she gave me the second bandsaw. She is great about supporting my habit.

Love the shop, but the big question is... umm, errr, well, does your wife have a sister?:o

great shop
Pat

Robert Reece
05-14-2009, 3:23 PM
Thanks Sam, the pictures are really good. I don't know where my miter saw station is on the priority list, but when I build it I hope it looks and works as good as yours. The dust collection is a great idea, that one I will be copying directly.

I was contemplating putting a flush track in my top as opposed to a fence. I can't see what the fence buys you over the inset track. Of course the inset track collects dust and screws and things.

Roger Jensen
05-14-2009, 3:37 PM
Can you explain the 1 1/2 inch hose inside the 6 inch hose? How does that work?

Thanks,

Roger

Sam Layton
05-14-2009, 9:25 PM
Thanks Pat, sorry no sister.

Robert, I am glad the photo's helped. I had trouble deciding how long to make the fence as well. I just decided to make it full length.

Roger, when you make a cut, the saw discharges the dust from the dust port built into the saw. By placing the 1 1/2 hose from the saw port inside of the 6" DC hose it creates extra suction at the saws dust port. Plus, by using the 1 1/2 hose, the dust is discharged directly into the DC's 6" hose instead of just into the hood.

Sam

chris beserra
05-15-2009, 1:18 AM
Amazing. I'd never leave the shop, ever.

Jim Rimmer
05-15-2009, 11:20 PM
One more vote for the DC/Clamp rack. Love it.

Chris Stolicky
05-16-2009, 5:28 PM
Beautiful shop Sam. I like your lumber storage above the twin bandsaws!

Yeah, that's an expensive lumber storage rack!