PDA

View Full Version : Shop Air Conditioning

Mike OMelia
05-11-2009, 1:38 AM
I live in Alabama, and soon, it will get hot and steamy here. My "shop" is a 300 sqf room off the side of my 2 car garage. I keep my big tools in the garage... but detail work is done in the side room (guitars). The upstairs unit actually can dump cooled air into the side room, but it is never adequate. And nothing will keep me out of the shop more than tropical conditions. I have been looking at those "portable" AC units... 12,000 BTUs. 14,000 BTU units as well, with equal heating ratings. Amcore and Sunpentown. I was thinking of mounting a base plate on the wall to keep it out of the way. Thoughts?

Mike

Peter Quinn
05-11-2009, 6:54 AM
Yes, I have a though. I often hate having a shop in a basement until I read posts about struggling to keep the shop col in the summer. My shop never gets much above 72 degrees, so as long as I control the humidity I'm in good shape. Have you considered going under ground?

Frank Drew
05-11-2009, 8:24 AM
Mike,

I don't know anything about portable units, but a window rattler could easily cool and dry 300 sq. ft., if you could install one.

Is this side room insulated, or could you put some in if not?

phil harold
05-11-2009, 9:22 AM
Have you considered going under ground?

I have previously lived my life as a troll
never again unless it was a walkout basement with 6" french doors

I had a friend build an airplane in his basement
execavated and removed part of the foundation to get it out...