PDA

View Full Version : Two pens

Aaron Wingert
05-11-2009, 12:54 AM
I haven't turned any pens in months so I decided to do a couple today.

The top one is cocobolo and the bottom one is a really wonky piece of bocote. I made it more challenging by doing them with the end grain perpindicular to the pens...Lots of delicate work with the scraper but I really like the effect.

I'd never used this style of pen and I really like it. The only bummer is that the grain only lines up when the pen is in one configuration...Open or closed. I did them both so they'd line up when the pen is open and being used.

Nobody but a penmaker would notice, but on the cocobolo I got the middle rings backwards. I failed to realize that one is chrome and one is black titanium and they should've been reversed. Whoops. It doesn't effect function, just looks.

Critiques welcome and appreciated. I know my photography isn't up to par......

Martin Shupe
05-11-2009, 1:29 AM
Nice pens.

Which kit and where did you get it?

Thanks!

Horst Hohoff
05-11-2009, 1:33 AM
I think they are great pens. But you mentioned it yourself: your photography doesn't do them justice. It's the totally unsuitable background, that makes it difficult to really appreciate your work.

Mark Norman
05-11-2009, 2:15 AM
But the background is too busy to show em off well.

alex carey
05-11-2009, 2:24 AM
Great pens, love the display also. Very cool.

Billy Tallant
05-11-2009, 2:26 AM
Great looking pens...

Jeff Nicol
05-11-2009, 5:10 AM
Aaron, I have to say the grain in those 2 pens are just wonderful! I cut a bunch of ash and elm with the end grain orientation and they look good so I hope when turned they come out as nice as yours did!

Jeff

Steve Schlumpf
05-11-2009, 7:19 AM
Aaron - beautiful pens! Love the look of the grain on both of them! Very nice effect!

I agree with Horst - the background competes for the viewer's attention! Next time try a neutral color. Also, photos are allowed up to 800x600 pixels and a larger photo would really help everyone appreciate your work!

Pretty cool pens! Thanks for posting!

Aaron Wingert
05-11-2009, 8:48 AM
Which kit and where did you get it?

Martin, it is the Classic American screw cap pen from Woodcraft.
http://www.woodcraft.com/product.aspx?ProductID=144935&FamilyID=1574

Thanks for the feedback everybody. I really do need to come up with some black fabric or something for photographing my projects. I agree that the background is too busy! (but this is shop not photography class!) :)

Bernie Weishapl
05-11-2009, 9:41 AM
Great looking pens.

John Terefenko
05-11-2009, 10:14 AM
I too love the grain in the pen and the lower one is my favorite. I also agree you chose the wrong background. It is competeing with the grain of the wood. You want a neutral color such as grey or white and it will really set your pens off and make them look even more spectacular. Thanks for showing.

Martin Shupe
05-11-2009, 7:38 PM
Thanks for the info, Aaron.

Your pens look great!

Jim Kountz
05-11-2009, 11:25 PM
Good looking wood, nice job!!