PDA

View Full Version : Mini Lathes--Jet or Delta?

Stan Smith
03-19-2003, 10:11 PM
I've always wanted a mini lathe. In fact I was talked out of gettin one 5 years ago in favor of a full size Jet. I just listed it on ebay since I would rather have a mini. Why? Because all I make is small stuff and I would like the extra space in the shop. I've never turned anything larger than what I can do on a mini. So, which gets the best nod of approval, a Jet or Delta? Thanks for your help.

Richard Allen
03-19-2003, 10:27 PM
Hi Stan

Either mini will serve you well. I would give the nod to the Jet but I would fell lucky to get either lathe.

For 4 or 5 times the price you can get a no compromise mini made by Oneway.

Thanks

Dale Thompson
03-19-2003, 11:11 PM
Stan,
I don't have either one of the lathes which you mentioned. On the other hand, I have always drooled over the Jet Mini. It's a very well built unit. My PM 3520 makes a mini unnecessary -- but the Jet is quite impressive. The only drawback is the belt changing thing. Take a look at some of the units which have electronic variable speed. The "crud" from the belts gets on your hands and eventually transfers to your turning. It requires more sanding and I HATE sanding.

If you are looking at only small projects, you may want to look at the Carba-Tec 4SE Variable speed unit. That is just another alternative. I'm sure that there are others. Although the Jet is a NEAT unit, if I were buying, I'd try the Carba-Tec 4SE.
One good turn deserves another! Good Turning!

Dale T. :)

Ken Salisbury
03-20-2003, 6:50 AM
I am lucky enough to be the owner of 3 lathes, one of which is a Jet Mini. I have made literally 100's and 100's of pens and other small items on it. It ia a great little lathe.

Ron Taylor
03-20-2003, 9:05 AM
Strangely enough, I was just wrestling with that exact decision. Happened upon a fellow selling Delta LA200 midi's on eBay. I made high bid of $192.50 plus $64 shipping last night. This is a brand new unit with Delta's 2 yr warranty. I think this is a pretty good deal since this same machine is listed on Amazon at $319.00

He has several others plus some other equipment as well. It looks like he is closing one lathe a day for the next week or so.

My first lathe, so really looking forward to getting it and trying some round stuff in spite of all the warning I've had about getting addicted or some such ;)

Dan Bussiere
03-20-2003, 9:14 AM
I was trying to decide myself at one point, but one day my next door neighbor and I was at Sears and they were closing out the Mini Delta and was 2 of them on their sale table for $49 each. You guessed it, we both got one. Since, I have used it many times and love it! So I would reccommend looking for sales!
Dan

Stan Smith
03-20-2003, 10:26 AM
You guys are great! Just the kind of info I'm looking for. My current Jet has belts but they are changed with a lever while on the fly. I wasn't aware that you manually change the belts on the Jet mini. How is the speed changed on the Delta?

If I could find one for $49, there's no doubt about how fast I'd buy it. Does the Carba-tec have the same power and capacity as the Jet and Delta? Thanks.

Bob Reilly
03-20-2003, 10:47 AM
The Delta speed change is the same as the Jet.

Dan Stuewe
03-20-2003, 6:10 PM
I think the carba-tec is what Penn St. Industries (pennstateind.com) sells. You can check their website for details. One thing though, it uses a #1 MT and a different thread than your JET, so any accessories will need to be replaced or modified.

Stan Smith
03-20-2003, 6:52 PM
Thanks for the heads up on the accessories, Dan. I'm holding onto my scroll chuck with the jumbo jaws and spigot jaws attachments along with some face plates and spurs. They are all 2mt and the thread pattern is 1x8tpi. Since that's the configuration of the Jet I'm going with that one. My fullsize lathe on ebay already has met the reserve price so can the mini jet be far off? <vbg>

Stan

Dave Arbuckle
03-20-2003, 11:01 PM
The belt change on the Delta is the same as the Jet, with one big difference. The belt access cover on the Jet is on the back of the lathe, on the Delta it is on the front.

I have the Jet, and it's a fine machine, never given me a moment's trouble. I'm also no particular fan of Delta low-end tools. But, if you have a decent local dealer so that out of box dead equipment and such can be swiftly rectified, I would definitely suggest considering the Delta.

Dave

Stan Smith
03-21-2003, 3:12 PM
Actually I hardly ever buy any equipment locally. You can get such great deals on the web without shipping and taxes. Yeah there is a Home Depot and Sears, but they don't stock Jet or Delta. I would like to buy locally, but they never have anything in stock. In fact, we have an undenyable truth here: "You can never buy anything in Redding, you can only order it (and then it's on backorder)".

Scott Greaves
03-21-2003, 9:24 PM
I know I'm late, but I'd like to sound in on the side of the Jet. I Love my Jet Mini! It is a great machine! It's one drawback is the lack of variable speed, which is not much of a drawback.

Variable speed would be nice though. If you think so too, then check out the Nova Mercury at Woodcraft. It is smaller and lighter than the Jet, but it has a nice variable speed with plenty of power.

If you're looking at Mini lathes, be sure to stock up on pen making supplies. Penturning is the perfect example of why people are turning more than ever. That sense of instant gratification, the sensuous shapes, and a result that is beautiful and useful just can't be beat!

Have fun!

Scott.

Walt Drummond
03-21-2003, 9:32 PM
Stan,

I would guess it really doesn't matter which one you get. The Jet or the Delta.

I have the Delta, and love it. I have used the Jet, and loved that also. Both were well made, and close enough that there was no real difference between the two. Just one item, mentioned before, was the belt door on the Delta is in front. I find it a little easer to use. Not big enough an issue to be concerned over, I'd guess.

Good luck with which ever you get. I got mine locally in a WoodWorkers Warehouse store. Was $299.00.

Walt

Stan Smith
03-22-2003, 1:14 PM
Lot's of people have their preferences between the jet and delta, but they also say the difference isn't very noticeable. In my shop, I have a 13" planer, xacta TS, DC, air cleaner, 1236 lathe, bs---All Jet. So, I guess that you might say that I'm satisfied with the Jet brand. I also have a performax drum sander, makita scms, and rbi scroll saw. Then, there are a bunch of hand power tools. I'm also getting the stand to go with it (see other post on here). Pens? Yeah, Scott they do make nice gifts and if you can get some tight interesting grain patterns-all the better. I used my full size lathe to turn all that stuff. I never did turn a long spindle or any large bowls nor was I inclined to. As to small stuff, I have even turned some bookmarks (from CraftSupplies) that were not even as large as a quarter. I have all the penmaking stuff and mandrels for lightpulls, bookmarks, etc.. I think that the only tool that I would like is something to hollow out small boxes. Any ideas besides Raffan's rounded scaper (which I have)?