PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Here

Joe Baker
05-10-2009, 10:20 PM
Just bought a Laserpro C180 30w. I dont know much about it. I am not a dreamer hoping to make it rich in the laser market. I sell knives and fine Gentelman gifts and already have the customer base. Just looking to add a service. Anyways, i have Engravelab. Anyone know of a place to get additional training on the Laserpro or Engravelab? My distributor who sold it has worked with me some plus i have watched the tutorials on Cadlink site for Engravelab. I just like to learn all i can. Any tips would be helpful. Thanks

P.S. Anyone else here from the great state of NC??

Bill Cunningham
05-10-2009, 10:58 PM
Welcome to the world of lasers.. Sorry, can't help you on Engravelab, just about everyone here uses Coreldraw. It's pretty well the standard for laser engraving.. I know a few have used it, if you do a search using Engravelab as the keyword, I'm sure you will come up with some useful information..

Mike Null
05-11-2009, 6:35 AM
Joe

Welcome to SMC. I have Engravlab but will not likely be of much help as I use Corel for nearly everything.

If you have access to Signlab University though that should give you a good start.

Frank Corker
05-11-2009, 6:56 AM
Welcome to the Creek Joe. Never used Engravelab myself, most people here seem to make do with Corel and Photograv as their main tools. Have you tried looking on Youtube to see if there is a tutorial on there? Great place for visual training on most programs.

Kevin C. Johnson
05-11-2009, 11:49 AM
Welcome Joe. all that I use is engravelab what do you what to know, not a expert but will help any way that I can.

Belinda Barfield
05-11-2009, 12:45 PM
Welcome Joe! I work exclusively in Engravelab. It's nice to have another Engravelab user on board. I don't know how much help I can be but feel free to e-mail me any time.

Joe Baker
05-11-2009, 6:08 PM
Good ideas. I will try youtube. Dont know why i didnt think of that myself. If i am doing a job and want to do consecutive numbering how do i do that automatically? ex. 01 of 100, 02 of 100, 03 of 100.........

Peter Meacham
05-12-2009, 11:36 AM
Joe

If I were doing it, I would have the same number of digits as your total quantity, i.e. 002 of 100, 003 of 100, etc.

Pete

Bill Jermyn
05-12-2009, 11:53 AM
I use a program called Print Merge Numerator to do consecutive numbering. There is a free and a $50 (give or take) version. It works great.

Scott Erwin
05-12-2009, 12:37 PM
Joe,
Welcome to the Creek. As you can already see, everyone here is friendly and eager to help where they can.

Enjoy the ride.

Mike Null
05-12-2009, 1:32 PM
Joe

I believe you can do consecutive numbering within Engravlab. Do you have access to the signlab university tutorials?

Rodne Gold
05-12-2009, 2:31 PM
You use serialization to do consecutive numbering.
www.newing-hall.com/Docs/Serialization.pdf (http://www.newing-hall.com/Docs/Serialization.pdf)

Barbara Sample
05-13-2009, 11:26 AM
I also have a LaserPro Mercury 30W. I love it. It will serve you well. As far as training goes, you will have to learn your software. I use Corel and went to a school in Texas for training. It was well worth the trip. Bob Hensley is the one that has the school. He uses and sells universal lasers, but they all work about the same. He is wonderful and I can give you the details if you are interested. I went to his two day seminar and learned so much. I came back and began my business, and made a big pile of boo boo's, but now I am in my fifth year of business. It takes a lot of practice, and dedication, but you can master it quickly if you keep at it.

I do mostly photo work in stone mainly granite. I also do various other items. Wine bottles, glassware, wood, corporate engraving, etc.
here is my website if you would like to take a look. www.rgilengravers.homestead.com
Good luck, if I can help in any way, let me know.
Barbara

Dee Gallo
05-13-2009, 12:22 PM
Hey, welcome to the Creek, Joe. This is the best place for everything laser..and a few other things too!

Nice website, Barbara. And very nice work! You must the one person we've been hearing about who can make a living doing mostly photos on stone:D however I see you make a lot more than that. Did you already have the granite business before you started engraving?

Thanks for sharing, dee