PDA

View Full Version : Box with coasters for mothers day & guess the wood.

alex carey
05-10-2009, 9:25 PM
I thought my mom might like some coasters for mothers day, the ones on our coffee table are getting old. I took pictures all throughout so I'll show you how I did it.

1. I'm sure you can see all the mold and crap. I don't know what wood it is, if you can tell me that would be wonderful. It has been in a PLASTIC bag for 14 months now.

2. I made four coasters in total. Pretty simple to make. I could only make so many with this size blanks.

3. Once I made all four I hollowed out the box a little bit and then flipped the coasters around and put them in the box. They were a tight fit and thats how I sanded the bottom. Then I finished the box.

4. Next I cut the box off the lathe and made the bottom of the top. I might it a SUPER tight fit.

5. I used a spare piece of cedar and made the box fit nicely in there. I shaped the top of the top then sanded.

alex carey
05-10-2009, 9:29 PM
Here are just pictures of finished product.

Forgot to take a picture but I also returned the top to sand it so it wasn't such a tight fit, now it is tight but not too tight.

Comments, Critiques requested.

P.S. She liked it.

Alex

Chris Rae
05-10-2009, 9:44 PM
Nice job Alex! I'm sure she liked them, they look good, and a thoughtful gift.

Don Carter
05-10-2009, 9:58 PM
Alex:
Your last line says it all!;) I am sure you Mom has had a Happy Mother's Day!

Steve Schlumpf
05-10-2009, 10:05 PM
Nice little project Alex! No idea on the wood but it sure has some nice color and curl! Glad to hear your mother liked the gift! Makes you feel good when your work is appreciated!

Bernie Weishapl
05-10-2009, 10:29 PM
Great project Alex. I am sure she loved them.