PDA

View Full Version : Would this work to give me safe Air?

Bob Slater
05-10-2009, 9:16 PM
I have longed to have a fresh air option when dealing with toxic fumes. I have had the device in the photo for many years in storage. It is an air blower from a hot water furnace they removed from my house. It is basically a Turbo charger with a 1/2 HP motor attached. My plan is to have a snorkel bringing filtered outside air into the shop and then go to a hose (maybe through another filter) and into my 3M 6800 mask. You think this is too Mickey Mouse? I know the Pro systems cost a lot, but I don't see any downside to this, as the air will only interact with the spinning turbo wheel , so no contaminants from the motor could corrupt the air. Opinions and tips greatly appreciated, especially those that tell me why this is a bad idea.

Thanks, Bob.

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d119/salty_1977/AIrbreather.jpg

Todd Burch
05-10-2009, 10:27 PM
I don't know Bob. I have the real deal.

I bet a little research into what constitutes a bona-fide, regulation breathing apparatus would answer the question.

Bob Slater
05-10-2009, 11:20 PM
Thanks Todd, good point. What system do you have? I think this will be great For using products that I loathe to be in the room with. Might do some fibreglass now and hopefully be welding toxic metals by the end of the summer.Took the unit ( an EG&G Rotron mostly apart this evening. Couldn't resist trying to get it clean and shiny. It is quite nicely made inside. Looks like you could use it to Turbo a lawnmower if that is still allowed.

glenn bradley
05-11-2009, 12:17 AM
Hmmm, just the fact that youare pumping through this straight into your lungs would make me research it very carefully. We've had folks bring contaminated air on scuba trips and the result ain't pretty.

Bob Slater
05-11-2009, 12:41 AM
Yes, point taken. Thank you Glenn. Will keep at it as if it will work for now just for interest's sake . I have taken it apart and will post some more photos of the insides and materials.

Todd Burch
05-13-2009, 7:36 AM
I have the Sata Vision 2000 (http://www.sata.com/index.php?id=3872&L=1), along with their Filter System and Stand (http://www.sata.com/index.php?id=satafilter444&L=1). (2 headsets - one for me, one for helper)

Todd

Bob Slater
05-13-2009, 4:46 PM
Nice Todd, I take it these run off a main compressor?

Todd Burch
05-13-2009, 4:58 PM
Yes. My compressor can run the gun and two masks and the masks use a lot more air than the gun.

Ed Garrett
05-13-2009, 9:45 PM
Bob,

The answer is yes it works to pump in air for breathing. It's a good idea and I applaud your idea. I've done something similar for 11 years and will never go back to breathing shop air. Your 1/2 horsepower air pump may be overkill. My setup is a 4-inch muffin fan, 4-inch dryer hose, and a face shield with a hood. I get plenty of air. The outdoor air intake is filtered by a 5-inch stainless steel kitchen sieve. The system is so lightweight that I sometimes forget I'm wearing it (and occasionally get strangled when I leave the shop). Cost was about $35 in 1998. Since then I've actually spent a total of about $80 because last year I rebuilt the system and basically replaced all the parts except the muffin fan. This is the ultimate system for lung and eye safety. Chemical fumes are also a non-issue. The best cyclone and dust hoods for your tools will not protect your health as well as this system. Even portable professional forced air breathing systems can't match my setup because they rely on filters which will ultimately pass sub-1 micron particles that can do the most harm to your lungs. I mentioned this, posted photos on a post two years ago, and got a lot of positive responses. I hope some of the folks who found it intriguing followed my example. I have asthma and I think it's a crime to deny the hazard of breathing sharp microscopic particles and willfully damage your lungs. I suspect Bill Pentz is not the only person whose woodworking addiction has shortened his life. Go for it I say.

Sincerely,

Ed Garrett
Tallahassee

Bob Slater
05-14-2009, 10:46 PM
Good to hear of your success with your system Ed. Here is a shot of the insides of the Rotrex Pumo
http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d119/salty_1977/rotrex1.jpg

On another note, I am trying to vent the exhaust fumes and smoke of my welding room, and I have looked at a few fan options. It seems an inline duct fan makes a lot of sense, as it is easy to set up, and pulls about 675CFM on an 8 inch model. I looked through Ebay and noticed that they advertised discreet packaging for an inline Duct fan. That seemed odd. I then phoned the manufacturer and asked for a local dealer. Well they sent me to a Hydroponic grow up equipment shop!! It seems these fans are all the rage with people who grow Pot. Very funny. Never thought I would worry about my license being photographed for buying equipment to make my Shop safer. Lighting is next. Better watch my Hydro bill.

Jim Underwood
05-15-2009, 3:49 PM
Even portable professional forced air breathing systems can't match my setup because they rely on filters which will ultimately pass sub-1 micron particles that can do the most harm to your lungs.

If you're an allergy sufferer, how does this help you with airborne plant pollen sucked up by your system?:confused:

And are these any less harmful than wood particles?

Frank Hagan
05-15-2009, 5:16 PM
Bob,

The answer is yes it works to pump in air for breathing. It's a good idea and I applaud your idea. I've done something similar for 11 years and will never go back to breathing shop air. Your 1/2 horsepower air pump may be overkill. My setup is a 4-inch muffin fan, 4-inch dryer hose, and a face shield with a hood. I get plenty of air. The outdoor air intake is filtered by a 5-inch stainless steel kitchen sieve. The system is so lightweight that I sometimes forget I'm wearing it (and occasionally get strangled when I leave the shop).

That's a brilliant idea, especially for those of us who have a "noise issue" with installing a big DC. I assume you have the hose directing air in on top so it blows air down across the faceshield on the inside like the filtered units do? That might work with the shop redesign I'm working on.

Ed Garrett
05-16-2009, 12:24 PM
You got it, Frank. Hose terminus attached to the headgear above face. Hose is also attached behind head so it trails your movements. The hose really needs to be lightweight. The airflow works best with the hood.

Sincerely,

Ed Garrett
Tallahassee