PDA

View Full Version : How do I take spindle out of shaper? with pics

Craig D Peltier
05-10-2009, 7:26 PM
Hi, I bought this 3hp Woodtek shaper. It had a 1/2" shank roundover bit froma regualr router in it. The directions arent any help. They tell you how to put a spindle in but not take it out.
So I locked arbor from underside , then I unlooseened bolt from underside with nut , see pic. Then I was able to pop off the router bit but dont know how to get the spindle thats in there out now.

This is underside before loosening.

After loosening. Once I raised the bit this bolt came all the way out.

After bit is out. How do I get spindle out now. From the underside its just a hole with nothing to grip or mallet up.

Heres with bit in it.

Craig D Peltier
05-10-2009, 7:30 PM
This tool came in tool box but I dont see it in parts list. Either end fits in the arbor hole right now I guess its half inch so anything 1/2 would :)

Heres a plate that im not sure whats its for.

Heres the only directions.

Also back up the post above. I tried sticking a screwdriver on the side of arbor and popping it up. I also tried to grab the pie piece with a gripper an nothing either. As you might be able to tell last time I worked with a shaper was 1992.

Thanks

Rod Sheridan
05-10-2009, 7:34 PM
Thread the bolt back in most of the way and whack it upwards from underneath with a wooden mallet....Rod.

Craig D Peltier
05-10-2009, 7:58 PM
I will try that, thanks.

Another question I have is when threading rod from underside back on and tightening nut. Do I thread rod all the way on? when I took it off it wasnt threaded all the way up and book doesnt say , its just tells me to thread it on. I assume once its threaded a ways and you tighten the nut its not going anywhere?

David DeCristoforo
05-10-2009, 8:13 PM
As long as you have a good bite on it, you don't have to run the rod all the way down. But if it's long enough to do so and still get a "full bite" with the nut, it doesn't hurt. The rod and nut pull the spindle (or collet) taper down into the "fixed" part of the spindle so it is similar to a tapered chuck on a lathe or DP. But you are talking about a lot of force at work with a shaper so you might as well play it safe.

Frank Drew
05-11-2009, 8:08 AM
I'm assuming that the threaded rod is functioning as a draw bolt, so, once loosened, the collet or spindle should be more or less free to come out, but perhaps with a bit of coaxing as Rod suggests if it's stuck. Clean all the sawdust from around the collet and you might see a registering pin which mates in a corresponding recess in the collet; that's to prevent the collet from freewheeling under load.

The plate you ask about is a spare throat plate, I think; most shapers come with more than one, of different sizes, to accomodate different tooling while keeping the minimum opening around the cutters.

Craig D Peltier
05-15-2009, 11:12 PM
Okay I finally tried Rods suggestion. I threaded rod back up an hit it with rubber mallet. It almost worked but not quite. I have put wd40 on it with no luck. The rod was all the way up with the least amount of threads.
I put channel locks on it and pulled but no luck. I dont want to hurt it either so I wasnt totally aggressive.
See pic of how high it is.
Any suggestions? Maybe buy a rod thats longer to get it out?
The table did have some rust on it. I would have to say its been in there for a while. On top of that I think the previous owner (hes passed) might have only used this spindle since the only shaper cutters I got were new.
This spindle is for half inch router bits.

Thanks

David DeCristoforo
05-15-2009, 11:17 PM
Get the bolt threaded back into the spindle with the bottom nut backed off about a quarter of an inch from the "seat". Be sure that the bottom of the nut is below the threads so you don't damage them. Then whack it good with a hammer. Forget the rubber mallet! It will come out. Promise.

Craig D Peltier
05-16-2009, 6:00 PM
Get the bolt threaded back into the spindle with the bottom nut backed off about a quarter of an inch from the "seat". Be sure that the bottom of the nut is below the threads so you don't damage them. Then whack it good with a hammer. Forget the rubber mallet! It will come out. Promise.
The only room I have left to whack would be about 1/2 inch more if I take that loose nut off. I will try and report back.
Theres actual sun out in Seattle today :eek:so kind of lazy right now!