PDA

View Full Version : Tempted by Woodcraft price on Jet 1642

Steve Pennington
05-10-2009, 7:15 PM
I am tempted with price on the 1642 and free shipping. I have a walk up out basement and am wondering if I can get it into my basement shop. Can it be taken apart and what is the weight of the heaviest part? I've done woodwoorking for years(among many other hobbies) and have most all the other tools.
I bought a Ryobid mini lathe years ago, but would really like a better lathe. Sorry for the rambling.

Steve Schlumpf
05-10-2009, 7:37 PM
Steve - Welcome to the Creek!

I have the Jet 1642 EVS lathe and my shop is located in the basement. The lathe arrives in a large box - in sections. I managed to carry everything into the basement by myself and I am not a big guy. I set up 2 saw horses and carried the bed down the stairs first, then the legs - one at a time, then the tailstock, then the motor/headstock assembly, which was probably the heaviest item. Still, take your time, get a good grip and you won't have any problem. If you have friends - invite them over as two people carrying these parts would be no problem.

It is a great lathe! Should you decide to get the lathe - make sure you post photos once it arrives!

Greg Just
05-10-2009, 8:18 PM
My workshop is also in the basement and I used a dolly with a strap to get everything down there, a little at a time. I did need help lifting the headstock.

Steve Pennington
05-10-2009, 9:31 PM
Thanks for the encouragement, guys. I may have to pull the trigger. Steve

Bernie Weishapl
05-10-2009, 10:35 PM
Welcome Steve to SMC. Shoot just go for it.:D Surely you got a buddy or two that could be enticed with a cold brew to help you get it in the shop.

Eric DeSilva
05-11-2009, 9:33 AM
Thanks for the encouragement, guys. I may have to pull the trigger. Steve

I'm not sure what price you are looking at, but also check the JET lathe thread in Deals & Discounts... There is a really great sale out there right now...

Steve Pennington
05-11-2009, 9:49 AM
Eric, thanks for the heads up about Tool Nut. 1600 dollars is 99 cheaper than woodcraft. Someone on the other thread asked if Woodcraft would take another 20 per cent off that price for their sale this weekend. Thanks again, Steve

Steve Pennington
05-11-2009, 10:01 AM
I called Woodcraft and the 20 per cent off this weekend doesn't include items already on sale. So Tool Nut has the best price. Thanks, Steve

Steve Pennington
05-11-2009, 12:58 PM
Just wanted to thank everyone. I pulled the trigger and have a 1642 evs2 coming from Tool Nut. Thanks again, Steve

Martin Shupe
05-11-2009, 7:34 PM
I called Woodcraft and the 20 per cent off this weekend doesn't include items already on sale. So Tool Nut has the best price. Thanks, Steve

Very interesting.

Thanks for the report.

Jim Underwood
05-11-2009, 10:31 PM
Woo Hoo! Another one bites the bullet!

Welcome to the Jet 1642 club!:cool:

Jim Kountz
05-11-2009, 11:06 PM
Yes indeed, welcome to the 1642 club. You're going to be a very happy camper!!

Steve Pennington
05-11-2009, 11:06 PM
Thanks, Jim. I'm excited to have such a quality lathe. Steve