PDA

View Full Version : Very Rare Ambrosia Maple?

ROBERT ELLIS
05-10-2009, 3:45 PM
I recently had the good fortune of buying 500 plus board feet of the Ambrosia Maple you see in the pictures. The photo that shows the end of the log cutoff was brought to my shop this winter by my logger friend (whom I bought the maple from). I knew it would be loaded with a lot of the stripes so highly valued in this kindof maple. But I was in for a bigger surprise when about 150' of this stuff had lots of "highly figured" Tiger Striping/Quilting mixed in with the Ambrosia Stripes. So I wonder have any of you ever seen Ambrosia Maple with this kind of characteristics?

Turns out he had cut several logs from the same woods that were loaded with the desired Ambrosia Stripes, so I don't know if my highly figured boards came from the cutoff piece of log he brought me back in the winter.

As for the other photos, one is of my wood working shop, the other is a stack of 100 plus bf of highly figured maple, with a few of my cutting boards and cherry tables waiting to be finished in the background.

He's has 300 or more feet of Ambrosia Maple available for sale. It will all mostly look like the tallest board in the picture (all of the highly figured/quilted has been sold) it will be green @ 1.50 per bf. If interested pm me for details. I'm located in Southcentral Kentucky.

Thanks, for looking!

Robert

Dan Forman
05-10-2009, 4:07 PM
I've seen hints of curl in ambrosia maple before, but nothing like you have. Good score!

Dan

Todd Burch
05-10-2009, 6:26 PM
It's not that unusual, but a good find nonetheless.

What are you going to make with it?

Pat Germain
05-10-2009, 6:48 PM
My local dealer has lots of ambrosia maple. They call it "wormey maple". Some of it has lost of striping. Some of it has almost none. Either way, I like it because it's $3.00 a board foot. Not quite the deal Robert got, but still not bad.

Peter Gregory
05-10-2009, 11:11 PM
Question from the pictures - Do you make cutting boards or just collect them? :)

Matt Day
05-11-2009, 8:24 AM
My first couple projects were made with Ambrosia (Wormy) Maple because it's inexpensive, and maybe I got lucky but about half of it had some nice curl like yours. I don't think it's that uncommon, but it looks great!

ROBERT ELLIS
05-11-2009, 12:37 PM
Question from the pictures - Do you make cutting boards or just collect them? :)

Peter,

I make them to sell. I started making them about 3 years ago to supplement my cherry furniture business. So far most of the cutting board sales have mostly been wholesale (which wasn't what I wanted).

Robert