PDA

View Full Version : What am I doing wrong.

Dennis McGarry
05-10-2009, 3:17 PM
Heres the issue.

I am starting out using only slim line kits, figure it would be easier that way. Now I am turning the barrels down to where they are flush with the bushings. Not even a fingernail grabs them.

When I put the pen together the center band is smaller then the barrel. Smaller that a fingernail will grab it no problem.

Now am I doing something wrong or is it the kit? They are the Gold Solid Slip cobalts from WC and the pen/pencil bushings from them as well.

Thanks in advance.

Bill O'Conner
05-10-2009, 3:20 PM
How many pens have you done with the bushing? I'd say you sanded the bushing down over time and that they are now smaller than they used to be

Bill

John Fricke
05-10-2009, 3:22 PM
Are you sure you have the proper bushing kit for the pen kit you are turning? Are you sanding them to a smaller diameter?...just a couple of thoughts.....could be chinese quality control issues also

Don Carter
05-10-2009, 3:57 PM
Dennis:
Measure the center band with a caliper and make your barrels fit the hardware. Sometimes the bushings are just not that precise. With the calipers you can make it fit.

Dennis McGarry
05-10-2009, 4:21 PM
Ok will get the calipers and try that. (Great excuse to get another tool sooner!!)

I have only made 5 pens so far with them. According to the WC catalog, they are the right bushings.

Tim Cleveland
05-10-2009, 7:46 PM
I used to use the WC slimlines and the center band doesn't fit the twist mechanism very well, there is a little bit of play making the wood feel proud of the center band on one side and too small on the other. I found that wrapping the twist mechanism once or twice with tape right underneath where the center band goes makes it fit quite snugly and is flush with the wood.

Tim

Dennis McGarry
05-10-2009, 8:25 PM
I used to use the WC slimlines and the center band doesn't fit the twist mechanism very well, there is a little bit of play making the wood feel proud of the center band on one side and too small on the other. I found that wrapping the twist mechanism once or twice with tape right underneath where the center band goes makes it fit quite snugly and is flush with the wood.

Tim

I will try that on one of these, if that is the case, I dont think I will use the ones from wc anymore.

Thanks for the tip