PDA

View Full Version : Fiddling with "Clue"

Mitchell Andrus
05-10-2009, 12:54 PM
Did I see on the news that "Clue" is being re-done?

No more Colonel Mustard. No more lead pipe???

What next, collect $12,000.00 when you pass GO???

Cliff Rohrabacher
05-10-2009, 3:18 PM
Clue?

The board game?

Mitchell Andrus
05-10-2009, 5:45 PM
Yea.

Curiosity got the better of me... I Googled it:

Goodbye, professor. Farewell, colonel.Toy maker Hasbro Inc. has updated its classic Clue game for today's tabloid culture to include younger characters, more weapons, and new rooms, including a spa and guest house.
The six characters' last names remain the same, but their first names and bios have been updated. For example, Miss Scarlet is now Kasandra Scarlet, a famous actress often featured in tabloids. And Mr. Green is now Jacob Green, an African-American "with all the ins."

Colonel Mustard is now Jack Mustard, a former football player. The professor? Now Victor Plum, a billionaire video game designer.
Each character — rounded out by Eleanor Peacock and Diane White — also now has a special power that could help players discover clues more quickly. New “intrigue” and “clock” cards add clues and can eliminate players in the latest version of the game.
Hasbro has also lengthened the weapons list from six to nine. The candlestick, knife and rope remain, but now weapons choices include a dumbbell, trophy or poison. The lead pipe, revolver and wrench are no longer part of the game.
Meanwhile, new rooms include a theater, spa and guest house nearby.
Pawtucket, R.I.-based Hasbro has previously updated Clue — first created in 1949 — with an express version and a Simpsons version, but the new incarnation will be a replacement for the original version of Clue currently on store shelves.

Pat Germain
05-10-2009, 6:55 PM
I played Clue with my wife, brother and sister in law while at a cabin last Christmas. It was almost nothing like the Clue from yesteryear. All the characters were different. On the cards were pictures of young models.

There are also different versions of Clue. My daughter likes the Harry Potter version. It has a board that moves and changes; like Hogwarts Castle.

I recently read about a board game that's somewhat new to the US. It sounded really cool. It avoids all the things I hate about board games. It's huge in Germany, where they really get into board games. It's called "Settlers of Catan". I've been meaning to order it on Amazon.

Jerry Bruette
05-10-2009, 7:37 PM
We all know lead is toxic don't we:)

Jerry

Chris Kennedy
05-10-2009, 9:23 PM
I loved Clue as a kid, and we had Clue:Master Detective as well, which was a souped up version. Sounds like they are modernizing it a little.

By the way, Settlers of Catan -- it's awesome.

Cheers,

Chris

Don Abele
05-10-2009, 10:17 PM
In the age of electronics, it amazes me that board games still hold the appeal they had when I was a kid. Of course, to maintain that, they must keep up with the times. Just like the many versions of Monopoly, Clue is just the latest trying to keep the family around the table instead of in front of the screen.

Personally, we own the "old" versions of most of the board games and Sunday night is family night at the dining table after dinner. The winner of the previous weeks game gets to pick this weeks game. No electronics involved. Good wholesome family fun! We've been doing this for over 10 years now.

Be well,

Doc

Mike Gager
05-10-2009, 11:04 PM
i have the simpsons clue, its pretty fun