PDA

View Full Version : Cabnet tools

Philip Johnson
05-10-2009, 8:03 AM
I have been out of woodworking for a while and getting back into it so starting to collect some new tools. So the wife has been on me to get what I need.

One of my first projects is to make some cabinets for the laundry room and mud room and daughters bath.

I had a shaper years ago but sold it at some point, would a shaper be the better choice for making raised panel doors or would a router and table work as well. I prefer to buy the right tool the first time and not wish I had gotten something else latter.

I was going to use the kregg jig to make the face frames and hold things totgher and a biscut jointer to join boards for the panels. Now I come across the Festool Domino and wonder if that would be a more versitile choice for a few more dollars

Rod Sheridan
05-10-2009, 9:36 AM
Hi Philip, I don't own a router, I do however own a shaper with a power feeder.

Many will reccomend that you buy a router and make/buy a good router table. Until the Quality Grinding steel router top came out I always felt that "good router table" was an oxymoron.

I still would go with the shaper if you want to stay with the hobby for a while.

- flat table

- good fence

- easilly adapted to a power feeder

- quiet, has good dust collection

- powerful, vibration free

- ability to use a cutterhead with insert knives

Regards, Rod.

Philip Johnson
05-10-2009, 9:41 AM
I am leaning toward the shaper. That steel router table is around 1000 and a good router another 400 you are starting to get about the same as a shaper. It sounds like with a router I would have to make multiple passes to do the raised panels.

Steve Rozmiarek
05-10-2009, 10:16 AM
Phillip, I agree with Rod. There are very few things that a router will do better than a shaper, and none that I can think of while attached to a table. Make sure you get a powerfeeder for the shaper though. My shaper has a sliding table, which is awsome for coping, and may be a nice feature for you. Shaper tooling costs more, but the geometry is better, and it cuts better generally.

Philip Rodriquez
05-11-2009, 4:00 PM
A shaper is an awesome machine. Throw in a power feeder and you've got a really nice setup.

But wait… there’s more :eek:!

Shaper - $1400 to $1800
Powerfeeder – $400 to $1200
Cope and Stick bit – $200 to $400
Raised panel bit – $100 to $200
Upgraded electrical to support 220V, 20 AMP – $600 to $2000

My advice is this…
Buy a router and make a router table. I have a 3 HP shaper, a Router table, three routers and a laminate trimmer… and I use them all.

Shapers can run all day… but they only do one thing. You’ll have a million uses for a router… just be sure to get a good one with miltiple bases.

Andy Bardowell
05-11-2009, 4:20 PM
The wife's been on you to get what you need! What potion did you add to her coffee Philip, fess up and tell me how I can get some?

Greg Hines, MD
05-11-2009, 4:31 PM
I would agree that you do have a very understanding wife. However, as to the shaper-router table debate, the question I would have for you is, how many doors do you intend to make? I have a router table, not a shaper. However, if you are to make dozens of raised panels, then a shaper is clearly the tool for you. If, however, you are going to make the occasional project that might have it as a design element, you might get more use out of a router table.

That said, given the first line of this post, you clearly need both.:D:D

Doc

Eric DeSilva
05-11-2009, 5:12 PM
But wait… there’s more :eek:!

I'll throw in a vote for potentially shopping used. I picked up a 3HP JET shaper in beautiful condition for $700 and a never used 2HP Grizzly power feeder for $300. I did have to run my own 220V line, however. I could probably sell both for what I paid, or perhaps a bit more. So, used worked out great.

Keep an eye on craigslist in your area and you may see a deal...

Frank Drew
05-11-2009, 7:19 PM
I have a 3 HP shaper, a Router table, three routers and a laminate trimmer… and I use them all.

Philip J.,

This describes a lot of shops; if you can see yourself making even just raised panels more than once, then a shaper is a great investment, but for little mouldings, etc., a router mounted in a table or used freehand can get a lot of work done. With a shaper I'd still want to use a router from time to time.

This all assumes you already have a good table saw (and jointer, planer...)