PDA

View Full Version : Unisaw dust collections

Jack Clay
05-10-2009, 2:08 AM
Hi,
I just bought a used Unisaw and started setting it up in my shop. There is a small gap between the inside wall and the dust shelf. Has anybody seen this and if so did you seal it to help the dust collector? Thanks for your help.

Chris Rosenberger
05-10-2009, 8:04 AM
I sealed mine with silicone caulking.

Fred Hargis
05-10-2009, 8:07 AM
Mine is like that, and I didn't do anything. I didn't think that was important, so I just went and looked under my saw; it's been sitting in the same place since I bought it 6 years ago...never moved, although it is up on a mobile base. To my surprise there was quite a pile of sawdust under it on the floor. Even so I don't think I'll try to seal it. You do need some air flowing in to carry the dust out. I'll clean this up and check again in 6 years...I did upgrade my DC over that time frame. Maybe all that dust fell on the floor when i was running the older unit.

Dell Moore
05-10-2009, 11:11 AM
Jack,

I just got an older Unisaw too. Take the back plate off the starter housing. Mine was full (I mean FULL) of sawdust! Not supposed to be in there! I did because I needed to replace the wiring from the starter to the motor. Spent a while removing it all.

I think I agree with the others on the air flow issue. The only thing I'm sealing is my starter assembly.

Good luck! I take it electrical issues where not a problem for you?

Dell

John Thompson
05-10-2009, 11:32 AM
When I had a Uni-saw.. I sealed the gap with campers tape which is a type of insulation with a self adhere tape on one side. I think as long as you don't seal the tilt handle and rod port.. it won't matter. That port is probably more square inches or close as a 4" dust port. I believe the recommendation is to have the same area of free flow as the sq. inches in the collection hose.

Sarge..