PDA

View Full Version : Creeker Visit

Mark Mandell
08-09-2004, 10:06 AM
Had the pleasure of entertaining Creeker Malcolm Timbers last Saturday as a follow-up to the 5-Barns Picnic. I had this large stack of poplar which I don't use and Malcolm had some extra cherry and 2x2 oak that he didn't need as much as the poplar.

Malcolm arrived just as the echoes of the Crack of Dawn were fading (actually about 8:30 ;) ) and we starte to load up the poplar into Malcolm's van when we discover a few little holes and dust piles :eek: on a few of the boards (stacked outside). Ooops. :o So we take a plank down to the Shoebox Woodshop to run through the planer to see just what we're dealing with in the way of tenents.

Malcolm, slightly stooped to avoid the heat ducts, looks around at the space and various lumps of semi-planted iron and asks politely, "How do you work in here?"

So the planer gets rolled out from its nitch between the chopsaw and the flatwood stack, and we proceed to run the board. After taking off enough to expose tracks + cross cutting to make sure nothing was, in fact, active, the consensus is that the holes and dust were ambrosia beetles who were in the wood when cut and hatched and bored out since then.

Malcolm loads up the van with as much as the shocks and springs will safely carry, we tarp the rest of the stack for his second trip, and off he goes. :D

All-in-all a pretty good morning. Malcolm's got a bunch of 5/4 and some 9/4 poplar for his painted furniture, and I've got some nice turning tool handle stock plus some long 4/4 cherry for a project I'm planning. :D

Mark Mandell

John Shuk
08-09-2004, 2:43 PM
Cherry for Poplar!? Stop thief!

Mark Mandell
08-09-2004, 9:06 PM
Not quite, John.

See we have maybe 40-50 bf of 4/4 cherry (which Malcolm ASSURED me he would not use) being exchanged for about 1000 bf (stack was 9' x 4' x 3' of 5/4 stock) of poplar which Malcolm really needs to use to make painted furniture for sale.

We just didn't plan on any fresh meat being included in the trade! :rolleyes: