PDA

View Full Version : I tried to be nice...

Leigh Costello
05-10-2009, 12:47 AM
I tried to be nice, but now I am regretting it. I met a new laser owner at a convention that was Christian based and family oriented. He was showing his laser craft at the convention as was I. He asked some questions about this and that concerning Corel and Epilog. I answered truthfully and shared some of what I know. He is also a UPS driver and had seen some of my stuff in shops. He did not share this information. Hubby and I thought he was very nice and offered answers to his questions. That, I thought, was being very nice.

Today, one of my shops that uses our services called and said that she had been told that we were not interested in doing what he "specializes in" which is personalization. :eek::mad::eek::mad:

I told her we are and we do consider her one of our best customers. After prying this guy's name out of her, I assured her that we were still very interested in supplying her laser needs as well as rotary engraving and CNC work. She was very upset that he had lied to her and promised to mail his brochure back to him with a "NO thank you" attached.

So, has anyone else had this happen to them and how did you handle it when you came face-to-face with the guy/gal?

Steve knight
05-10-2009, 1:02 AM
some people are just that way. I got a kick of you posting it as a christian convention. first lesson just because some one is a christian does not make them a good person.
looks like you dealt with it well.

Mike Cutler
05-10-2009, 5:50 AM
Some people are just, how should we say it, less than ethical.
You have to live your life according to your own ethics and standards. If trying to be nice and helpful to someone becomes some sort of a character flaw, I hope we all suffer the same flaw.

For every one person like that, there are nine like me who would just be interested in knowing how it's done, with no intent of ever doing it.

Chris Damm
05-10-2009, 6:58 AM
I have dealt with many people who are Christian on Sunday and backstabbing so and so's the rest of the week. I only deal with them once!

Rich Engelhardt
05-10-2009, 8:52 AM
Hello,

So, has anyone else had this happen to them and how did you handle it when you came face-to-face with the guy/gal?
Yes - similar experiences, quite frequently as a matter of fact.
Mostly, I just let it go and make it a point to avoid that person from that point on.
When it's not possible to avoid them, I simply keep any and all information limited to a "need to know the answer to a direct question".

Mind you, that in no way means I make it at all pleasant for them to get the answers they need.

Next time you know you'll run across that person,,,
make sure you eat a garlic bagel with some green onions.
Then corner them and get as close as you can and go into extreme detail about the most trivial things.
:D.

Works on people of any faith ;).
(I'm an equal opportunity annoyer :D)

Rick Gifford
05-10-2009, 9:10 AM
I'm sorry that happened to you. On the note of the Christian thing, its well known much strife is found within a church. There is a difference in being a Christian and being a good Christian. That gentleman wasn't being respectable at all.

Now look at what it has caused. Future mistrust in others.

Call the guy up and let him know what you found out that he did. He deserves no less in my opinion. Maybe he'll think twice before being a weasel next time. Doubt it though...

ROY DICK
05-10-2009, 9:31 AM
Do as your signature states.

Roy

Todd Burch
05-10-2009, 9:37 AM
I'm a Christian, and this type of behavior spoils my taste for people who advertise themselves as Christians. I can see why someone telling another they are a Christian is a turn off. In this case, and several others I have seen, it's as if they get you to let down your guard and spill your guts, only to "get" you later.

It's the life you walk that defines you.

Carlos Alden
05-10-2009, 10:04 AM
Leigh:

It happens. There's a guy in my city who runs a video service for school events, dance recitals, things like that. He comes on strong with a brochure about his services, and sounds very professional over the phone, and in person has great eye contact and a strong handshake.

However he has welched on a couple of things: He offered to video our local annual Battle of the Bands (teen band competition sponsored by our city) and sell DVDs. But after the event he told everyone that not enough people had pre-ordered (and sent in their money) for a DVD, so it wasn't worth his time to mix and edit, so no product. Great - a lot of families didn't bother filming it predicated on having this service available.

So we told him we'd be fine accepting the unedited, raw footage from one camera for the same fee ($20 or something), and had prepaid. Despite numerous calls and emails, no product.

He's done things like this with other events and people. It's a consistent pattern. Oh, and he professes himself to be a Christian, big-time. He's really out there with it.

Karma will bite his butt. When I repeat this story to people, heads nod. You can't run a business like that and expect to be successful in the long run. This will surely happen to this character you ran into. His name and company will develop the smoky, oily cloud of sleaze over time, and he'll do himself in.

Carlos

Jim O'Dell
05-10-2009, 10:24 AM
I'm with Todd on this. I'm also a Christian, and as a Service Adviser at a car dealership, I see people with the fish on their vehicles all the time come across as idiots by the way they act. I've come to the conclusion that just because someone says they are a Christian, doesn't necessarily make it so. Brings to mind a song by Rich Mullens:

It's about as useless as a screen door on a submarine
Faith without works, baby...
It just ain't happenin'
One is your left hand, one is your right
It'll take two strong arms to hold on tight
Some folks cut off their nose just to spite their face E
I think you need some works to show for your alleged faith

Well there's a dif-ference you know
'tween having faith and playing make believe
One will make you grow. The other one just make you sleep
Talk about it
But I really think you oughtta take a leap off of the ship
Before you claim to walk on water.
Faith without works is like a song you can't sing
It's about as useless as a screen door on a sub-marine.

I think you should send a polite note to this person and report that you have heard about the flier your customer received. Ask him to not spread information that is not true.
Then I would make a letter for all the customers you deal with. Explain that you found out from another customer, that someone is sending out information about you not wanting to do certain types of services any longer. Explain that that is not the case, and list all the things you and your business do. I think your customers will get the hint. Jim.

David G Baker
05-10-2009, 10:32 AM
I do most of my business by word of mouth and if I get good service I let everyone I know about it, if I get bad service I let everyone I know about it as well as anyone that mentions anything that will lead into talking about the business.
I have always been leery of business and people that over advertise about being Christian.

Cliff Rohrabacher
05-10-2009, 11:36 AM
Why was religion mentioned at all~??
There's dishonorable people every where you go. Ain't no amount of religion or philosophy or political persuasion that serves as a vaccination against dishonorable character traits.

Throw a net around any bunch o' of people and you will find a fairly even sampling of all the good and bad that humanity has to offer.

Peter Luch
05-10-2009, 12:02 PM
I have no problem with God, it's just some of his fan clubs I don't like......

Like my uncle from Montana used to say.
"Them people are sitting in the pews in front for a reason"

Aloha, Pete

Steve knight
05-10-2009, 1:28 PM
I get a kick out of the good/bad christian attitude. what does it matter if your a christian or any other religion it only matters how you treat yourself and others. I have seen way to much evil in very religious people.

Wade Lippman
05-10-2009, 1:38 PM
some people are just that way. I got a kick of you posting it as a christian convention. first lesson just because some one is a christian does not make them a good person.

Maimonides, a 10th century Jewish scholar, was challenged to explain Judaism while standing on one foot.
He said that was easy, treat others the way you want to be treated; everything else is just to help you do that.

Presumably the same could be said of any religion; so that man was no Christian.

Bruce Shiverdecker
05-10-2009, 2:38 PM
I have had several BAD experiences with businesses touted as "Good Christians".

Now, I stay away from anything that states "Chritian". Pretty bad situation.

Bruce

Cliff Rohrabacher
05-10-2009, 3:11 PM
I have had several BAD experiences with businesses touted as "Good ChristiansBruce

Lol. Many years ago during the great snow storm of 78 - the one that nearly wiped Hull, MA off the map and dumped what felt like 80 feet of snow on Boston and surrounding towns ( http://www.mass.gov/czm/blizzard78.htm ). One of the Great Pillars of our little church called me with a desperate plea. Mind you, I'd attended prayer meetings and bible studies at his home plenty.

I had a day job as a machinist in which I worked all the over time I could get 'cause I needed the $$. But, he knew that I had a second class license for big straight jobs.

He had a construction company - a very successful one - and his big 14 wheel dump trucks were about to be seized by the state to be put to work clearing the snow emergency. He wanted me to drive one so it wouldn't be taken by the state.

I said OK. So I took his truck to Boston and hauled snow to the Charles river all day and all night into the morning stumbling home at about noon the next day. I expected a decent wage. Trusting fool that I was I didn't make that arrangement up front.
The pay: $50.00
And his wife who did the books handed it to me like I should be grateful after taking tax out of course.

Was it religion that made him so damn cheap, thoughtless, and selfish?
Or was he that way all along?

I think it was the latter and no one ever really changes no matter what flag they run up the pole.

Belinda Barfield
05-10-2009, 3:48 PM
I think you should send a polite note to this person and report that you have heard about the flier your customer received. Ask him to not spread information that is not true.
Then I would make a letter for all the customers you deal with. Explain that you found out from another customer, that someone is sending out information about you not wanting to do certain types of services any longer. Explain that that is not the case, and list all the things you and your business do. I think your customers will get the hint. Jim.

I'm with Jim on this one, Leigh. The stone industry is very cut throat, particularly right now. Every time a salesperson leaves one of our suppliers we get a letter notifying us that so and so is no longer affiliated with their company. I appreciate the info. I'm sure your customers would appreciate knowing about this guy. If he deals unfairly with you, he'll do the same to them.

Scott Shepherd
05-10-2009, 7:01 PM
Might be a good time to reach out to your current customers and remind then that you are thinking of them and that you appreciate their business and look forward to serving them in the future. So anything that anyone does hear will be instantly dismissed since they've just heard from you how much you do want their business.

Just my opinion.

Phil Thien
05-10-2009, 9:12 PM
I have had several BAD experiences with businesses touted as "Good Christians".

LOL. In all my years of sitting through church* I never heard the "Jesus as a marketing strategy" sermon. These guys must have gotten it somewhere else. :rolleyes:

*I didn't mean that to sound as awful as it reads. ;)

Dick Strauss
05-10-2009, 10:04 PM
I guess this person didn't study business 101...find your niche or speciality and sell into it. Instead he/she tried to take on your speciality. I would think the market is big enough for both of you if he/she had done the proper research!

I agree with others...
Send your customers a letter letting them know how much you like working with them as their business partner. You should also mention that you look forward to working with them on future projects. Let them know that if they have a special project or service in mind, you'd be happy to discuss it with them in person to figure out a way to make it happen. I don't think I'd mention the less than scrupulous competitor in the letter.

Maybe karma will catch up with this person and result in your competitor having to sell their laser at a big loss.

My soapbox is now broken...

Good luck!

Todd Burch
05-10-2009, 10:19 PM
Maybe karma will catch up with this person and result in your competitor having to sell their laser at a big loss.

My soapbox is now broken...

Good luck!

Now that's good - wishing Karma, a Buddhist concept, to catch up with a Christian, and signed with a Pagan signature. lol

Todd

Dick Strauss
05-10-2009, 10:30 PM
Guilty as charged:D! Does that mean I can't have any pudding?

Mat Ashton
05-10-2009, 10:33 PM

I totally agree with that! I am a christian but the two worst places I've ever had the misfortune of working for were overtly christian companies. These guys were elders and or prominent in their beliefs. Even though I am one I will never work for bible thumpers again - very evil cheap people that seem to make it their mission to be nasty to those that work for them.

If a person wants to talk to you about their faith while they happen to be conducting business but are not trying to weave it in in an attempt to "winning" the job... that's ok as you can tell them to go find someone else to preach to and that's the end of it. But if someone advertises it as a part of their business run the other way. I see the fish sign on yellow page ads all the time. I always give those businesses a miss.

Don't get me started on after church restaurant gatherings. I refuse to sit at the same tables as the majority because they're so cheap.

Todd Burch
05-10-2009, 10:33 PM
You can have pudding if you eat your meat. How can you have any pudding if you don't eat your meat?

Karl Brogger
05-10-2009, 10:35 PM
Well, leaving all of the theology aside...

What exactly did the person do? I'm a little fuzzy on this from the original post.

Brian Kent
05-11-2009, 1:13 AM
Leigh,

Keep on being nice. Keep on building up the kind of relationships you want. Sometimes you will be cheated, but a lot of the times your integrity will spill over and people can be surprised into change.

If you can contact this guy, it's good for him to be confronted with the truth. It's OK for him to hear what that does for his reputation and that of the faith he professes.

I'm a Christian pastor and I know how screwed up us Christians can be. It's about 3/4 of my job to help a cluster of people to live out their profession, to build the kind of relationships that they really want to live in and spread.

I've seen way too many church folks who are bad tippers and judgmental snobs. Sometimes we can change and grow a little too. I hope this guy does. I apologize for his crummy behavior.

We need to have a stamp on our heads that says "kind servant of the Kind Servant" just so we will remember who we are supposed to be and how we are supposed to act.

Brian

Brent Leonard
05-11-2009, 4:23 PM
LOL.....

what a funny world of people we live in. Where would we be if we had no moral guidance?

Cliff Rohrabacher
05-11-2009, 5:05 PM
LOL.....Where would we be if we had no moral guidance?

We'd just have to think harder about the decisions we make.

Leigh Costello
05-11-2009, 10:37 PM
Thank you all for your suggestions and shared experiences. I believe in ethical business practices. I believe that questions have have answers. I believe that here at the 'Creek you get fair feedback. I also believe that I am going to have a sissy beer and finish some designs for tomorrow. So, as I do unto others and all that, I still hope this guy's next attempt at growing his business is a little more on the up and up. And if it's not, well not much more I can do about that, except maybe call UPS and ask if all of their drivers are allowed to solicit business while making deliveries. Nah, what goes around comes around.

Jim Rimmer
05-11-2009, 10:45 PM
It makes me sad that this guy may give non-Christians another argument for their repertoire. True Christians, and I am one, are not like that.

Sometimes there are a few that make you wonder. Forty years ago I interviewed for a job and when the talk came to pay I was given a "Christian" answer - "A workman is worthy of his pay." That may be true but I would like to know what I am worthy of before I commit.

Bob Moyer
05-12-2009, 7:54 AM
Why is it that that individuals enjoy pointing when a Christian does something wrong; we all do something wrong, all of us, some worse than others; as it says in Bible; let he who is without sin cast the first stone.

As a Christian this is one of the areas that really gets to me. When was the last time someone posted that an Atheist/Muslim/Jew did something wrong.

Just because someone says they are something; does not make them that person; individuals pose as girls on the internet to meet other girls; men pose as bachelors to meet other women; individuals pose as contractors to pave your driveway or fix your roof.

Con artists are con artists pure and simple. I see good and bad in all people; criticizing a group or an organization as being bad is not only wrong, but makes no sense at all.

I'll point our one thing and end my ranting; faith based groups are one of the first and last groups to jump in at a time of need. When disaster hits you can bet someone from a faith based group is there. COUNT ON IT.

Rant over.

Butch Edwards
05-12-2009, 8:25 AM
I'm with Todd on this. I'm also a Christian, and as a Service Adviser at a car dealership, I see people with the fish on their vehicles all the time come across as idiots by the way they act. I've come to the conclusion that just because someone says they are a Christian, doesn't necessarily make it so. Brings to mind a song by Rich Mullens:

It's about as useless as a screen door on a submarine
Faith without works, baby...
It just ain't happenin'
One is your left hand, one is your right
It'll take two strong arms to hold on tight
Some folks cut off their nose just to spite their face E
I think you need some works to show for your alleged faith

Well there's a dif-ference you know
'tween having faith and playing make believe
One will make you grow. The other one just make you sleep
Talk about it
But I really think you oughtta take a leap off of the ship
Before you claim to walk on water.
Faith without works is like a song you can't sing
It's about as useless as a screen door on a sub-marine.

Rich Mullens was a great songwriter,and performer.He left us waaaay too soon.
the thing that bothers me most about the "christian" issue in business, is the fact that Jesus warned of what the power of $$ could lead to. and make no mistake, this was all about $$. unfortunately today, the word Christian doesn't hold the prestige we think it should/could.
that's sad...really, because there are good,honest,decent Christian people still doing right in the business community.but, like another secular song says so matter-of-factly: once bitten;twice shy. shame is, it's not just their buisness name that gets the bad publicity.....