PDA

View Full Version : Northwest Pennsylvania Wood Suppliers

Jerry Roberts
05-09-2009, 11:03 PM
I'm trying to find suppliers of rough cut lumber and high grade plywood in the Erie PA area. I don't have any specific requirements, but I'm trying to find someplace where I can go and look through the stock rather than an internet supplier. Does anybody have any suggestions on where I can find a retail supplier in the Erie PA area?

Lee Schierer
05-10-2009, 7:21 AM
I live in McKean, PA and work in Erie and for high quality plywood you wan to talk with Kraft Lumber on Peninsula Drive. Frontier lumber can get you materials, but I've never purchased plywoods from them. I buy most of my hard wood from Summit Hardwoods (http://www.summit-hardwoods.com/) on Route 19 near Waterford. Mitchell Hardwoods on Bagdad Road is similar in prices. Once you get to know them, Summit will let you select finished pieces from their available stock and are pretty easy to work with. Their wood is all kiln dried and clear (no knots). I very rarely have any problems with their wood moving or twisting after I bring it home.

For rough lumber you'll need to go to Spartansburg and deal with one of the Amish mills. There are lots out there. I don't deal with them because I don't have a large jointer or heavy duty planer to mill the wood and the quality from Summit is all good wood and already dimensioned.

Jerry Roberts
05-10-2009, 7:55 PM
I did know about Summit. From looking around their facility, they do appear to have high quality material. I'll have to ride over to Spartansburg and check out that area.

Ben Abate
05-11-2009, 8:36 PM
Lee,

what are some of their prices at these places. I'm curious because I'm always looking for more sawers and suppliers. I'm a bit north east of Pittsburgh so Interstate 79 is with in reach.

thanks
Ben

Lee Schierer
05-12-2009, 12:44 PM
Lee,

what are some of their prices at these places. I'm curious because I'm always looking for more sawers and suppliers. I'm a bit north east of Pittsburgh so Interstate 79 is with in reach.

thanks
Ben

Summit Hardwoods has a web site with their prices. Summit Hardwoods (http://www.summit-hardwoods.com/)

Mitchel Hardwoods is within a few cents. Now bear in mind that both these places supply S4S material to nominal widths and thickness and their wood is knot free.

I can't say what the various rough lumber suppliers around Spartansburg charge as I don't buy from them.

David Keller NC
05-12-2009, 2:28 PM
You're 180 miles from Irion Lumber. There is no supplier in the country where you can get such high-grade wide and figured boards in cherry, maple, mahogany, walnut and birch. Many of us dearly wish we were that close.

They are not bargain basement, but their wood isn't expensive either for what they've got:

www.irionlumber.com (http://www.irionlumber.com)

Jerry Roberts
05-18-2009, 9:12 PM
From the web site, this looks like a great place to get wood for that special project. At nearly four hours one way, it's a little too far for my day to day needs, but I'm glad you recommended it.

Tony Zona
05-27-2009, 11:42 AM
I have gotten nice cherry from Pongratz, near Girard. If you are interested in will dig around for more specific details on his location.

Kiln dried, rough cut.

Jerry Roberts
06-14-2009, 8:30 AM
I would appreciate any additional information that you can provide. Thanks

Jerry Roberts
06-14-2009, 8:39 AM
I gave Kraft Lumber a try for plywood and am very pleased. The price was higher than Lowes and Home Depot, but the quality is so much better. They were nice people to talk with as well. Kraft will be my plywood supplier for here on out. It's nice that they have drive through loading as well. Pull the truck and they will help you load it.