PDA

View Full Version : What I was up to today- or - what to do with old tools

Jim Underwood
05-09-2009, 10:54 PM
Today I was attempting to get ready for a workshop next Saturday, so I actually tried out something I've been only thinking about for at least a year...

I found some used pipe threading dies (16TPI) at our local Re-Tool store for about $6... It was cheaper to buy the used one than to buy a set of new ones (for about $40).

I have recently also picked up a Mapp Gas torch and some silver solder, because I've also seen the need to make some hollowing tools, and this will allow me to make other repairs as well.

I also had some old carbon steel tools hanging around that I never use anymore, and since they're already handled, just decided to grind the ends of the skew and scraper square, and braze the threading inserts on the ends..

And here's the result. Note that I did have to tilt the inside chaser to get the tilt in the right direction, so as not to get a left hand thread on the inside. And as an added bonus, they work! (If nothing else, I have some new texturing tools!)

Steve Schlumpf
05-09-2009, 11:07 PM
Jim - that's a pretty cool idea! Tools look like they should work well! Looking forward to seeing a finished turning - with threads!

Burt Alcantara
05-09-2009, 11:33 PM
Yeah! Post some samples. Great ideas.

Bernie Weishapl
05-10-2009, 9:33 AM
Great idea Jim and looks like they should do the job. Please post some turnings that are threaded.