PDA

View Full Version : Woodcraft REALLY came through!

Bruce Shiverdecker
05-09-2009, 9:21 PM
While this is about a turning product, I believe that Woodcraft will treat ALL woodworkers this way.

Back, before the Peoria store closed, I bought a vacum chuck system with a 3" sleeve. I also bought a 6" sleeve, for larger pieces. My lathe (Nova 1624-44) has a 1-1/4"X8 spindle. The main unit came with the correct threading, but the 6" had 1" X 8 threading.

I bought it about 4 months ago. The customer service rep. had a little trouble finding the order, till I remembered when I bought it and that it was from the local store

She was very nice and helpful. She said that they would send the replacement and put a note on the order that it was a swap.

That was Monday. On Tuesday, when Fed Ex stopped by at 10:00 am I opened the box.

The invoice was for $0.00. No cost. No freight. NADA! On top of that there was a return tag to return with wrong one at NO COST via USPS.

They sent me out $73.00 worth of material for nothing, trusting that I would return the one I had. I'm not even sure who made the orginal error - them or me, but it didn't seem to matter to them.

This is the kind of service that made me want to work for them in the first place. Glad to see that it wasn't a fluke!

Bruce

Greg Hines, MD
05-09-2009, 10:42 PM
My local Woodcraft in Franklin, Tn, is a great resource for the area. Woodcraft seems to get a bad reputation here for some reason, but I think that their products are decent. I have had several dealings with them over different situations, and they do a good job.

Doc

Wade Lippman
05-10-2009, 1:09 PM
Woodcraft Corporate is great. I needed some replacement parts for clamps I bought at an auction that they carry. I emailed them asking how I could get in touch with the manufacturer to try and buy the replacement parts. Woodcraft simply sent me the parts! It just doesn't get any better than that.

OTOH the local store is horrible. They are out of stock on most anything you might want to buy, don't answer emails (which is important because calling them is a waste of time), and the clerks know nothing about what they are selling.

Bruce Shiverdecker
05-10-2009, 2:46 PM
Wade, that is bad management. If they don't hire people who know what they're doing and don't stock anything, they should lose their franchise and change their name to BIG BOX!

Went to all three Big Boxes yesterday, looking for a #66 O ring for a faucet. Nothing even close! It was 7:00pm, so the local hdwe store, which would have had it was closed.

Bruce

Jamie Cowan
05-10-2009, 6:41 PM
My local Woodcraft is fantastic. Great people, great service, great products. I show my love with money. Lots and lots of money.

Butch Spears
05-10-2009, 7:14 PM
Well the one here in Dallas is hit or miss on Marsh Ln. I was in there on Thursday looking for finish, there might have been 4 customers and 3 sales people. I stood and looked,could not find, walked to counter, sales guy waiting on a customer. I stood and waited my turn 5 mins maybe. Customer leaves another guy walks up, the sales guy starts to wait on him, he sees my expression and looks kinda sheepish, I just tell him to go ahead and wait on him and I turn and leave. No more visits from me,They never ask if they can help, they usually all stand at front and visit. No big deal, they must not need the sale and I can buy somewhere else.

Colin Giersberg
05-10-2009, 10:07 PM
Greg, I like the store in Franklin, also. I always seem to come out of there with something.

Regards, Colin

John Lucas
05-10-2009, 11:49 PM
I am on the lucky side. The store in East Greenwich RI is great. They have great stock inventories and knowledgeable help . At 72, there are times when if I go there, I don't have the energy to get to the various sections. I sit on the stool at the cash register and one of the sales clerks goes for the product. Then they insist of getting me and the purchase to the car. With that degree of service there is only one place to do my business. What's best is that they all do this -- the owner is to be praised for making this happen.

Mark Godlesky
05-11-2009, 1:29 AM
The folks at the Chandler, AZ store always greet me and ask if I need help as soon as I walk in. All of the sales folks seem to be involved in some variation of woodworking. One reason many work there is for the employee discount. One of the guys is a local shop teacher. And I'm only in my mid-forties but they've helped me out to my truck when I bought more than I could carry in one trip.

John Coloccia
05-11-2009, 2:00 AM
My Woodcraft in Manchester, CT is tops. Saw Stop shipped my saw with too many long braces, and no short braces. Woodcraft took the braces off their saw and gave them to me to get me going. When the replacements from Saw Stop came in, I gave them to Woodcraft. So far, I've had nothing but fantastic service from them.

Rick Fisher
05-11-2009, 2:04 AM
In a store the size of a Woodcraft, the feeling you get, and attitude of the staff, is a direct reflection of the boss.

I have been in the Building supply business for 25 years and have seen it over and over..

I have buddies who own stores that are arrogant, and 99% of the staff act in a similar fashion.. I have other buddies who are clowns, and the stores are always a bit messy but the staff are happy and helpfull.

People imitate the person they work for, when they are at work.. not entirely, but certainly enough to help set the tempo.

Generally speaking, a fresh manager with a good attitude will turn a store around in 3 months.. Miserable staff will often just leave, or get the boot. Lazy people will sharpen right up and a happy atmosphere will pass to the staff.

If the boss gives the attitude that he is fed up and doesnt care.. the service will .. suck..

Burt Alcantara
05-11-2009, 8:19 AM
With these troubled times, I find myself wanting to keep my local Woodcraft open so rather then save a few bucks on the internet, I've been giving them my business. They have been consistently an outstanding place to do business. Doesn't hurt that they have great demos and classes.

Robert LaPlaca
05-11-2009, 5:31 PM
Whenever possible I try to utilize the local Woodcraft and Woodworking Shop (aka. Klingspor), the staff at both stores are pretty good. I cannot tell you how lucky we are in the Charlotte NC. area to have both resources..

Peter Scoma
05-11-2009, 5:37 PM
Woodcraft in Downington, PA is awesome. Staff are great and they really know their stuff. I tend to go in the morning and always have the same exchange upon entering.

"need some help"
"Nah just looking"
"Ok, we close at 7 so you have 9 hours."

Great place to do business with.

Peter

Jacob Mac
05-11-2009, 9:13 PM
The Woodcraft in Kansas City has always been great. I have had several employees take a great deal of time to help me out. some of the younger guys are less than helpful, but for the most part I really like going there.

Jerome Hanby
05-12-2009, 10:33 AM
Wasn't as large an item, but Woodcraft did me right when I lost the set screw for a bearing on a router bit. Called them to buy a replacement, they sent me several free of charge and no shipping.

I'm not going to spend more just to give Woodcraft my business, but they sure earned first shot when I decide to buy.