PDA

View Full Version : Uh! Oh! I did a bad thing!

John Bailey
05-09-2009, 9:02 PM
You would think with a half done 15ft. sailboat in the shop and a half done 18ft. kayak hangin' from the rafters, I would have left well enough alone. Shoot no - the wife is out of town and look what followed me home.

I'm told it's a William Atkin design built in 1936. In it's day it won the Chicago-Mac race in it's class. It's been sitting in this spot for five years and is in pretty bad shape. I don't really know at this point if it can be recovered, but I'm going to give it my best. This is the kind of project I've always wanted and couldn't pass this up. It's 27" on deck and has a beam of about 9'3".

If anyone has any information on this design, I'd really appreciate it.

The engine,

is a flat head four banger gas powered. I don't know what make as I couldn't find any markings. Any info, again, would be appreciated.

As you can see there are some missing planks.

117866 117867

The other planks around this area are in pretty good shape. There has been a repair to that part of the keel and I think the planks were taken off for that repair. We may be able to find the missing planks and that would be a plus.

The boat is at the Maritime Heritage Alliance in Traverse City, MI. They do a lot of work, all volunteer, on old wooden boats. They restored some beauties. They've told me they may still have the mast also. The mast is placed quite forward on the boat. Other than that, I don't know much about the rig.

Well, I have to go make plans to move the boat behind my shop. This will be a multi-year project and I'll have to get it protected before I start to work on it.

John

Dave Ray
05-09-2009, 9:14 PM
John, you have given yourself one good looking project. I like her looks, best thing is she is wood. Please keep us informed as you bring her back to life.

james mcgrew
05-09-2009, 9:19 PM
man does that look like fun, i did two restorations about six years ago and have since bought a farm and twocnc machines so the chances i would do another boat are slim, however seeing this brought back some great memories!!

jim

John Bailey
05-09-2009, 9:55 PM
man does that look like fun, i did two restorations about six years ago and have since bought a farm and twocnc machines so the chances i would do another boat are slim, however seeing this brought back some great memories!!

jim

Hey Jim,

What kind of boats did you restore? I'm a bit overwhelmed by the size of this one. I've never attempted something this big - but it was a combination dream and opportunity, so I had to take the plunge.

Couldn't resist - one more shot - Starboard side.

John

Travis Schafer
05-10-2009, 10:11 AM
Im having a tough time seeing some lines from your pictures, but Atkins has a pretty informative website of their boat designs (with nice pictures :) I'm sure if you check it out you will be able to match up your boat with the website.

I ordered the Bluebird from them a couple years ago. Mrs. Atkins was very friendly and informative and will probably answer any questions you have.

http://atkinboatplans.com/

Travis

Bruce Shiverdecker
05-10-2009, 3:00 PM
That looks like several years ofFUN to me!!!

Keep busy!

Bruce

Frank Hagan
05-10-2009, 3:13 PM
She's a great looking boat. The missing planks may have helped prevent water from pooling inside, one of the things I've noticed causes a lot of the rot on boats "on the hard". If the frames and rest of the planking is in good shape, I would say you have a few years of rewarding restoration (as opposed to all the restoration no one sees when you're replacing frames).

Nate Carey
05-11-2009, 7:20 AM
John, I did a like project some years ago with a 1963 Cheoy Lee Frisco Flyer; a boat of similar size.

At The WoodenBoat Show in Mystic, CT June 26-28, there will be an Atkin Family Tribute. If you can make it to The Show, I'll bet you could glean some valuable information about your "new" boat.

www.woodenboat.com (http://www.woodenboat.com)

Mac McQuinn
05-11-2009, 1:50 PM
No doubt that's a fresh water craft w/ your location but honestly I swear I smell salt water:rolleyes: What a project! I believe there's an Atkins design forum on Yahoo. Might be worth checking out.

So what does your wife have to say about it now that she's seen it? Keep working on her and she will be softly humming the theme to Gilligan's Island soon!

So where do you start on something like this John? research, survey, or just jump right in.......?

Mac

John Bailey
05-11-2009, 4:25 PM
No doubt that's a fresh water craft w/ your location but honestly I swear I smell salt water:rolleyes: What a project! I believe there's an Atkins design forum on Yahoo. Might be worth checking out.

So what does your wife have to say about it now that she's seen it? Keep working on her and she will be softly humming the theme to Gilligan's Island soon!

So where do you start on something like this John? research, survey, or just jump right in.......?

Mac

Well, the wife hasn't really "seen" it yet. She was gone to Chicago for the weekend and the boat's still in Traverse City an hour away.

I've checked out the Yahoo site and posted a query about what model it is and any other information. Wooden Boat site also. "Or" just jump right in - I think I already did that.

My plan is to clean it up as best I can, take all the hardware off. Start at the keel and work my way up.

It's a plan!!

John

Gary Kvasnicka
05-11-2009, 6:14 PM
Well, the wife hasn't really "seen" it yet. She was gone to Chicago for the weekend and the boat's still in Traverse City an hour away.

I've checked out the Yahoo site and posted a query about what model it is and any other information. Wooden Boat site also. "Or" just jump right in - I think I already did that.

My plan is to clean it up as best I can, take all the hardware off. Start at the keel and work my way up.

It's a plan!!

John

It sounds like a good plan to me, good luck...with the boat and your wife.

Ray Frederick
05-11-2009, 9:57 PM
Great looking boat, it looks like a really fun project. Do you think you'll have to replace most of the planks and frame or will you try to re-use them? I've always liked the look of the re-used ones.

Greg Johnson
05-11-2009, 11:44 PM
John,
Did you really think anybody here would say that you did a bad thing?.....;)

I do believe the folks that read the boat building forum are all green with envy..... Looks like a LOT of work and you'll probably enjoy every minute of it. If your household is anything like mine.... the real work will be getting your wife "on board" with the project.....:D

God I hope my wife doesn't look at this forum....:o

Greg

John Bailey
05-12-2009, 5:22 AM
Great looking boat, it looks like a really fun project. Do you think you'll have to replace most of the planks and frame or will you try to re-use them? I've always liked the look of the re-used ones.

I know the boat looks rough, but there are some very good points to this boat.
From what I've seen so far the planks and frames are in good shape. Like anything else, once I start pulling things apart I'll probably find problems. The biggest concern is where the iron keel connects to the keel timbers. (Sorry, but I haven't learned the names of all those parts.) From my first inspection, it looks like everything above that is in pretty good shape.

The floors are in good shape, the engine turns and all the parts seem to be there, which means I'll be able to use them for patterns if need be.

One of the real pluses is that all the original hardware is there. All that old brass would be hard to replace. The portholes are in good shape also.

I'm still trying to identify the model. I've sent for an Atkin catalogue to see if I can match it up with one of their models. Then I can buy a complete set of plans so I can restore to the original.

I'm spending this coming Saturday cleaning the boat, getting it ready to cover it before I have it moved. I'll get more detailed pictures at that time.

Just a few more pictures.

118121 118122 118123

John

Angus Hines
05-12-2009, 11:51 PM
If I can help you reproduce anything just let me know John.

John Bailey
05-13-2009, 11:40 AM
If I can help you reproduce anything just let me know John.

Thanks Angus,

One of the good things about the boat is all the pieces, except the missing planks and the mast, are there for patterns.

I'm still trying to figure out what model it is. If anybody knows, or know somebody who might know, I'd appreciat any imput. Although I was told it was an Aktin design, it looks alot like a larger version of "Typhoon" that is in the Wooden Boat publication "Thirty Boats." Typhoon is a Winthrop Warner design, so I'm researching that now. It would be great if I can get a copy of the drawings.

John

Angus Hines
05-13-2009, 12:00 PM
Found this it may be of some help.

http://library.mysticseaport.org/manuscripts/coll/coll259.cfm#

John Bailey
05-13-2009, 3:58 PM
[QUOTE=Angus Hines;1131771]Found this it may be of some help.

http://library.mysticseaport.org/manuscripts/coll/coll259.cfm#[/QUOTE (http://library.mysticseaport.org/manuscripts/coll/coll259.cfm#[/QUOTE)]

Yup! I saw that and there are many 26' boats in the collection. Mystic Seaports collections office is not open until tomorrow. I'm going to be in meetings all day, so I'll probably not be able to talk to them till next Thurs. Barring that, I may have to take a road trip to Mystic - Oh shucks!!

John

Marty Paulus
05-17-2009, 9:54 AM
John,

I can't say for sure, but that engine sure looks like the standard Atomic 4 that is in just about every sail boat built up to the 80's I believe. Parts should not be very difficlut to find if that is what it is.

Good luck with that restoration. I race sailboats in my spare time. They are lot of fun. I haven't done the Chi-Mac yet but I have done the Port Huron to Mac race several times.

I see way too many of these old wood boats just abandoned in the marinas around here only to meet a chain saw after the owner gets behind on storage payments.

Keep us informed on your progress.

John Bailey
05-17-2009, 2:34 PM
John,

I can't say for sure, but that engine sure looks like the standard Atomic 4 that is in just about every sail boat built up to the 80's I believe. Parts should not be very difficlut to find if that is what it is.

Good luck with that restoration. I race sailboats in my spare time. They are lot of fun. I haven't done the Chi-Mac yet but I have done the Port Huron to Mac race several times.

I see way too many of these old wood boats just abandoned in the marinas around here only to meet a chain saw after the owner gets behind on storage payments.

Keep us informed on your progress.

I hope you're right about it being an Atomic Four. It would make it easier to work on.

I took some more pictures today when I worked on cleaning up the dirt on the deck. First, I did some work on the stern so I could make out the name. It's the "JUBILEE" and was based in Omena, MI which is just a few miles north of where she sits now.

Next is the picture of the kind of plant that was growing in all the corners where leaves and other debris had been sitting for years, decomposing, and growing plants.

Next is a picture of the cockpit. I was hoping the board that you see sticking out into the cockpit was some kind of support for a ketch rig. But, I think it's just a board for a compass or some other type instrument.

I got the deck all cleaned up. I sat on the aft part of the cockpit, put the tiller under my arm, squinted my eyes and made believe I was sailing and the bow was moving up an down with the swells. I got the fever again. So, this is what "Old Wooden Boat Syndrome" feels like.

John

Gary Kvasnicka
05-17-2009, 5:15 PM
John,

The ability to imagine yourself sailing that boat will sustain you through all the hard work...er... fun you will have restoring it. If a trip to Mystic is in order you should try to make it June 26-28 during the Woodenboat Show. I talked the LOML into that trip as our vacation this year. I can't wait! I hope to see you there.

Cheers,

John Bailey
05-17-2009, 6:32 PM
John,

The ability to imagine yourself sailing that boat will sustain you through all the hard work...er... fun you will have restoring it. If a trip to Mystic is in order you should try to make it June 26-28 during the Woodenboat Show. I talked the LOML into that trip as our vacation this year. I can't wait! I hope to see you there.

Cheers,

Mystic Seaport June 26-27, eh!! I'll have to see what I can do about that. It's not a real good time for me, but I might be able to work it in.

John