PDA

View Full Version : Shark splitter set finally arrived!

Jason White
05-09-2009, 8:34 PM
Well, I ordered a set of Shark splitters from Lee Styron (www.leestyron.com) a month ago and they finally arrived today. Just in time for a little sawdust-making!

I have to admit that I was getting a bit annoyed at how long it took to get them, but Lee makes them all to order and tells me he just got over the flu which slowed things down a bit. I guess I can't be too annoyed, then. ;)

My set came with 3 different-sized splitters. All are heavy-duty steel and beautifully machined and powder-coated with no rough edges. You'd think they came from a big, professional factory (I mean that in a good way).

I tried the two tallest splitters on my Grizzly 1023 (not the "shorty," which is probably only good for cutting plywood). At first, I found it hard to align the splitters to the blade, but quickly found that one of the thinnest shims from my dado stack mounted on the "flange" side of the arbor pushed the blade to the right just enough to line things up perfectly. A little "Slip It" lubricant on the splitters also helped things as well. The splitters also work like a featherboard, keeping the stock tight to the fence behind the blade -- a real plus in my opinion. These splitters are also easy to remove and install thanks to the ratcheting type bolt, which fits in there perfectly. The job would be easier, however, if the throat plate opening was a little larger (or if my hands were a bit smaller).

I'm sure this setup is not as great as a real riving knife (I'm guessing), but it's a hell of a lot better than the stock guard/splitter that came with my saw!

For the money, you really can't go wrong with this set. Highly recommended! Nice job, Lee!!!

Jason

Mike Nguyen
05-09-2009, 8:45 PM
A month is very fast. I ordered mine for a Delta Contractor saw 3 months ago and still waiting. :mad:

Edwood Ferrari
05-10-2009, 3:03 PM
I just recieved my riving knife from lee for my new Ridgid R4511. I got it in a week and it looks very well made. I got lucky as he had a couple in his shop and all he had to do is powder coat them. My saw is not assembled yet but I did drop the knife in the slot and it fit perfect I will just have to make a minor adjustment to center the knife behind the blade. The orginal knife/guard assembly is off by the same small amout as well. Can't wait to put the saw together and try it all out. I would highly recommend buying Lee's products. We exchanged a few very helpful emails to make sure the knife would fit properly and he even sent me a drawing of his design before I ordered it.

Ed

Riving Knife Photos (http://picasaweb.google.com/chiptester/R4511RivingKnife?authkey=Gv1sRgCO7RwP-nkdTV8QE#)

Jason White
05-10-2009, 4:01 PM
Is it an actual riving knife, or just a drop-in splitter?

I just recieved my riving knife from lee for my new Ridgid R4511. I got it in a week and it looks very well made. I got lucky as he had a couple in his shop and all he had to do is powder coat them. My saw is not assembled yet but I did drop the knife in the slot and it fit perfect I will just have to make a minor adjustment to center the knife behind the blade. The orginal knife/guard assembly is off by the same small amout as well. Can't wait to put the saw together and try it all out. I would highly recommend buying Lee's products. We exchanged a few very helpful emails to make sure the knife would fit properly and he even sent me a drawing of his design before I ordered it.

Ed

Riving Knife Photos (http://picasaweb.google.com/chiptester/R4511RivingKnife?authkey=Gv1sRgCO7RwP-nkdTV8QE#)

frank shic
05-10-2009, 5:51 PM
one month?!? lee's getting faster lol

Ellen Benkin
05-10-2009, 6:06 PM
I just installed his splitter on my Jet Supersaw. I had to move the mounting for the splitter to get everything lined up with the blade (I used to bend the one that came with the saw) but that was very easy -- only had to loosen two bolts.

I ripped some maple and everything slid by the splitter just the way it is supposed to work. And it is SOOO much easier to install and remove (for dado cuts) that I'm very happy with it. Now, why can't the saw manufacturers sell something this useful with the saw? Must be the same reason they sell lousy miter gauges.