PDA

View Full Version : Looking for advice on table saw purchase

Scott Sveinson
05-09-2009, 7:03 PM
I am looking to upgrade from my benchtop to a contractors saw. Found a couple used through craigs list that are somewhat local. The problem I am having is the sellers specify their saws as generic. Can anyone tell anything about either of these saws. Any and all comments are welcome. Thanks.

Tony Bilello
05-09-2009, 7:07 PM
I have not ever heard of anyone describing their saw as generic. I would definitely stay clear. But that's me.

Scott Sveinson
05-09-2009, 7:22 PM
I have not ever heard of anyone describing their saw as generic. I would definitely stay clear. But that's me.
I'm the same way. I just think the sellers are unfamiliar with the saws. I don't know enough to tell what they are from the pictures so I was hoping someone here might.

David DeCristoforo
05-09-2009, 7:30 PM
There have been tons of generic saws sold by "discount tool houses". They are typically "unbadged" but most of them were made by the same factories that make the "brand name" stuff. The top pic looks like a typical early Taiwanese offering and was probably sold under a dozen different names. "Master Machine", "Wally Tools", whatever. The second pic looks like a Delta clone but might actually be a Delta. If so there would be a badge on it somewhere.

Scott Sveinson
05-09-2009, 7:41 PM
There have been tons of generic saws sold by "discount tool houses". They are typically "unbadged" but most of them were made by the same factories that make the "brand name" stuff. The top pic looks like a typical early Taiwanese offering and was probably sold under a dozen different names. "Master Machine", "Wally Tools", whatever. The second pic looks like a Delta clone but might actually be a Delta. If so there would be a badge on it somewhere.
David, thanks for the information. Do you think I would have any problem finding parts for these saws? The sellers are only asking $200-$250. The Delta clone comes with an outfeed table, dual fence and some jigs. The other has a fence and that's it, no miter.
BTW, I see your in Davis, I'm just down the road in Woodland -small world.
Thanks again.

David DeCristoforo
05-09-2009, 8:53 PM
"Do you think I would have any problem finding parts..."

Hard to say. Some of the early Taiwanese stuff was pretty crude. Many of those machines had to be tweaked by the "end user" to get things to square up or align properly. And even if you could get parts, there was as good a chance that they wouldn't fit as there was that they would. Even at those prices it's a crap shoot although it's hard to imagine them being any worse than what you could get new for that kind of money.

PS I do live in Davis but my shop is in Woodland.

Carroll Courtney
05-09-2009, 10:44 PM
If your not in a hurry,I think that putting maybe another 100.00 w/what you have or consider spending on the saws shown you may come across a good used older Unisaw or maybe a good Giz.You are right,those saws and others like them parts may be non-exisiting.Checking here,news paper,CL's,bay,auctions,etc you could come across a woodworkers dream.The fun is in the hunt,getting what you want is even better.---Carroll

Scott Sveinson
05-10-2009, 2:41 PM
Thank you all for the comments. I will keep looking for now. Carroll had a good point, few bucks more and a better saw.

Loren Hedahl
05-10-2009, 6:07 PM
Most problems can be fixed, e.g., wobbly arbors can be re-machined or replaced, cracked castings can be welded or brazed, warped table tops can be re-surfaced, fences that don't clamp straight can be adjusted or replace.

But why would you want to assume a machine with such problems in the price range of a contractor's saw?