PDA

View Full Version : Electric Shaver Recommendations

Burt Alcantara
05-09-2009, 7:01 PM
Every once and a while I feel to lazy to blade shave and like to do the buzz. My last shaver bit the dust a long time ago and I'm getting that itch to buzz again. Since this will not be my primary shaver, or so I think, I don't want to put too much money into it. All of the electrics I've had died expensive deaths. Factory repairs were more then new shavers so in the garbage they went.

So, any buzzers around with something they can recommend?

Thanks,
Burt

David G Baker
05-09-2009, 10:47 PM
I have been using Norelco triple head razors since 1963 but when I want a good shave I use the Norelco then blade shave. Best shave I have ever had. I have never had a real good shave with any electric shaver. I haven't tried the new fancy big buck electric razors because I won't invest the $$ with out knowing for sure that I will get a great shave out of them. I do use the new style blade razor that has 5 cutting edges, not cheap but worth the $$ and they last and last especially when I use an electric razor first.

Dustin Lane
05-09-2009, 11:34 PM
I use a braun self cleaning one that I enjoy. Not their newest and most expensive, one or two steps down but still decent enough for me. I've had this one a little over a year now. My older one was another braun that just up and died one day. Wouldnt turn on and i didn't feel like messing with it. I owned it maybe 5 years. I liked it enough to purchase another braun so i guess that is a recommendation, but i can't say a whole lot towards longevity. ~$100 for 5 years isn't so bad i guess.

Eric Roberge
05-09-2009, 11:47 PM
Panasonic wet dry. Awesome razor! I've owned Norelco and Braun and they do not compare to the Panasonic. (MHO)

Keep in mind that skin types are different and beard texture is different for everyone. Typically a razor has a 30 money back guarantee so your face can adjust, if you don't return it and try another brand. Amazon has some great reviews. That's what helped my decision.

John Lohmann
05-10-2009, 1:16 AM
Panasonic wet & dry is good, but when you get them funny little gray ones they take lots of work. That's when I grew a beard.

scott spencer
05-10-2009, 7:26 AM
I've gone thru a bunch too, and found that my son's Philips ReflexPlus 6863 XL (http://www.epinions.com/review/pr-Norelco_ReflexPlus_6863XL/content_411629555332) worked great, so I bought one for myself. It's not too pricey, works effortlessly, and holds a charge a long time. It's nearly 2 years old and running strong. I initially bought a Philips 7110X thinking it would be in the same league but it wasn't. I was also disappointed in my other son's Philips 6843XL. I liked my Panasonic, but I believe it's more expensive and I can't recall which model it was...it also didn't hold up too well.

David Freed
05-10-2009, 7:32 AM
I have an old Norelco Triple Header I use to clean up my neck every few months, but my face hasn't seen the sun for so many years I can't remember how long it has been. At least 15 years. It isn't a really close shave, but I'm not too concerned about that since I only use it 4 or 5 times a year. If I shaved my face now, it might scare me.

Rich Engelhardt
05-10-2009, 8:37 AM
Hello,
I use a Gillette Fusion and turn on the electric toothbrush for the audio effects ;).

Burt Alcantara
05-10-2009, 9:16 AM
Went to Amazon to check out the recommendations. They had a free shaver -- just pay shipping so I ordered it. Electric shaver for $9.00. That's the kind of price I like. If it lasts a year, I'll be happy then probably start a new thread entitled "Electric Sha...."

Burt

Cliff Rohrabacher
05-10-2009, 11:27 AM
None, Not one, They all yank your hairs out and hurt and don't do the job.

It is less painful to use a razor dry.

Jim O'Dell
05-10-2009, 4:04 PM
The trick with most electric shavers is you have to use them for a couple weeks, every day, to know how they are going to work for you. Only time my Norelco 8140XL yanks wiskers is when I don't shave for over 3 days. I usually don't shave on the weekends, and Monday is a little tough to get all the hairs, but it doesn't hurt. Just leaves a few.
If you aren't going to use it everyday, my thoughts are that the electric shavers won't do much for you. Jim.

David Freed
05-10-2009, 4:33 PM
I agree with Jim. When I use mine, I use a Wahl electric hair clipper first. That cuts it down to about the length of a day or two's growth. Then it doesn't pull and hurt.

Art Mulder
05-10-2009, 4:42 PM
I have never had a real good shave with any electric shaver.

This.

Keep in mind that skin types are different and beard texture is different for everyone.

This too.

I tried a 3 headed thingy years ago, and it was okay, at best. Later I got the itch to try something else and bought one of those Braun foil shavers.

The thing is, Like David said, it just isn't that great a shave.

The other big deal is that I really didn't find it was really any sort of a timesaver. I can zip through a soap+blade shave (gillette foamy, and Gillette trac II) in about the same time as an electric shave, and the blade produces far better results.

Don Abele
05-10-2009, 5:22 PM
Having spent the last 22 years shaving every single day (the Navy has these odd rules about that :p) I can tell you that I have tried everything - from straight razors :eek: to disposables to the new 5-bladed monsters and every type of electric shaver as well. For time spent vs best shave, nothing beats a good-ole razor for me. I currently use a 4-bladed model and it lasts a month with shaving every day (which is nice given how much those blades cost). I typically get a good 5 o'clock shadow with a razor about 12 hours after I shave, with an electric it's more like a noon o'clock shadow and then I have to go and shave again to maintain grooming standards. That's not a time saver for me. But has been mentioned several times, everyones face is different. So, YMMV.

Be well,

Doc

Jason Roehl
05-10-2009, 6:14 PM
I agree that blades are better and just as quick as an electric, but they are a little clumsier to use while you're driving (or sitting at an intersection if you don't believe in intravehicular activity). I've always gotten the Norelco 3-head rechargeables, but the batteries in them go to pot in a couple years to where they have to stay plugged in full time if I ever want to use them. Now, I either just go scruffy between blade shaves (1-2 times/week in the summer because I'm too lazy to do it every day like I need to), or, in the winter, I use the electric to trim around my beard (neck, and the upper cheeks where I don't want the beard to grow).

Pat Germain
05-10-2009, 7:00 PM
My beard is by no means heavy. Apparently, what does grow is really tough. Electric shavers literally just don't cut it for me. Even a high quality, twin blade goes dull on me after less than five shaves. Sheesh, those things are getting expensive! I've tried the four blade type. I found it big and clunky and it didn't shave any better for me.

I saw the consumer guy on CNN recommend drying the blades after each use. He said it extends blade life. I don't know because I can never remember to dry the blades more than one or two times during the week.

Art Mulder
05-10-2009, 7:47 PM
Pat,
The type of soap matters also, I found. That gel stuff gums up the blades -- might be okay if you have one of those blades that push out the soap. I stick with the "Gillette foamy" type of soap, which washes out easier.

When I used gel, I would keep an old toothbrush handy to scrub the soap out of the blade gaps.

...art

David G Baker
05-10-2009, 8:26 PM
At one time I had a product that was made to soak and store your blade razor in. It was a green liquid that claimed to extend the cutting life of your blade razor significantly. The product was a free sample that I got at work that was being demonstrated on the TV news consumer segment. I used the product for around 2 months and found that it did work, in fact it worked very well. My razor was the double edged blade type, the blade lasted me at least one month if not longer and still shaved fairly well when I changed it out. I have tried to find the product off and on for several years but haven't had any luck.
The product may be something like cleaning and drying the blade after each use. I assume that blades get a microscopic amount of corrosion on them that the solution dissolved and protected the edge.
The Braun self cleaning electric razor is one that I would check out if I was in the market. A clean blade can really make the difference in the shave whether it is a blade or a powered unit.

Burt Alcantara
05-11-2009, 7:22 PM
My main use of the electric is to loose the bum look. My wife is extremely tolerant of my bad habits but she really dislike the steel wool face. So, the least I can do is shave regularly...sorta.

On those days where I just don't want to shave, I'm thinking of taking the electric, sitting down in front of the computer and just taking my time while I browse and drink coffee.

Shaving like that doesn't bother me. Of course, this is probably just a few times a month at most. Basically, an electric shave look OK for a few hours then it look really bad.