PDA

View Full Version : Kudos to ArboristSite.com

Burt Alcantara
05-09-2009, 6:56 PM
Since I've had my Stihl 390, I've struggled with getting it to start. Usual time to start: 20 minutes. Tired arm, sweating, out-of-breath, discouraged. By the time I'd get the saw to start I'd be too beat up to saw.

Posted this problem on Aboristsite.com. Not only did I get a flood of responses, but one of the guys made a video which explained how easy this was to fix.

Today, 2 months after that post, I tried the technique out. After 5 pulls, the saw started. I couldn't believe it. I just stood there with my mouth open holding this now easy-to-start saw.

So, if you have chainsaw questions, don't hesitate. Go directly to aboristsite.com. They also have an entire section on sharpening chains. Some say you can sharpen sharper then factory-out-of-the-box. That'll be my next project.

Great site!
Burt

Jake Helmboldt
05-09-2009, 9:31 PM
+1

If you think people on this site get into their hobby, some of those guys are hardcore chainsaw geeks! Great site as you noted.

I suggest getting the Husqvarna roller guide. It makes learning to sharpen freehand easy. So easy in fact, there almost isn't any point in not using the roller guide. Way easier than the old-school sharpening guides.

Bernie Weishapl
05-09-2009, 9:41 PM
Thanks for the info and site Burt. Good stuff.

Rich Souchek
05-09-2009, 10:20 PM
Love arboristsite also, but IT IS addictive also.
Only have 2 lathes, but 3 working chainsaws and 2 fixer-uppers thank to them.
They section there on milling really got me to get a chain saw mill, and that is another addiction to feed. That one has to have a lot of money and large storage site to keep it going......
This all give me almost free wood to feed more addictions.
Rich S.

alex carey
05-10-2009, 4:54 AM
good to know, I've been thinking about sharpening one of these days, ill go there to look it up.

alex carey
05-10-2009, 5:15 AM
:eek:I took a few looks around the site. Now this is the kind of chainsaw I want.

Terry Rothwell
05-10-2009, 9:25 AM
I have been a member there for almost three years now. There is a lot of good info to be had there whether it be working on your chainsaw or milling your own lumber.

Nathan Hawkes
05-10-2009, 5:27 PM
Me too. I have a chainsaw like the one in the pic, but mine only has a 42" bar....:( Actually, that looks like a 3120; I have a 394. Lots of good info there, and lots of geeks, yes! :D I'm not necessarily a chainsaw geek, but revel in geekness of other various sorts nonetheless.

Philip Duffy
05-11-2009, 4:53 AM
The link needs an R in Arborist.

Dave Schell
05-12-2009, 12:39 PM
Burt, thanks for the pointer to this site. Should be real useful in the future. However, I've taken a good look around it and can't find the entire section on sharpening chains that you referenced. Can you give me a better pointer to it? Thanks.

Terry Rothwell
05-12-2009, 12:44 PM
Here ya go Dave. http://www.arboristsite.com/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=30&f=74