PDA

View Full Version : Stern Name in Plywood?

Tony Bilello
05-09-2009, 6:30 PM
I want to carve my boat's name in a banner style in wood and screw to the stern. Solid wood would seem impractical. How will teak plywood hold up? Can I router carve the name in the plywood?
Any suggestions?

Robert Meyer
05-10-2009, 8:26 PM
Why would you think solid wood would seem impractical? I believe the very opposite would be true and that you would find plywood just waiting to delaminate over time - especially with all those exposed edges and water looking for the slightest crack. Even sealed in epoxy a plywood name board would look out of place. Easily carved wood such as mahogany or cedar sealed with epoxy and six or seven thinned coats of uv varnish such as Epifanes would last for many years without problems. Carving is easier than it looks and who knows ... you might find you have a talent for it.

Tony Bilello
05-10-2009, 10:05 PM
Regardless of whether I use plywood or solid wood, it is still going to be carved. Carving is not the issue. I was just wondering how well marine grade teak plywood would hold up. I have some on hand. I want to make a curved shaped banner and my stern is also curved. The curve might present a problem in bending unless I use pretty thin wood. If the stern was flat, I would just use solid teak and be done with it. I thought that one time I saw a sign made of plywood and that is why I asked. I guess it's solid wood or nothing.

Angus Hines
05-10-2009, 10:27 PM
Tony if you give me your radius I can run something like this on the ShopBot in about 30 minutes and it will be flush with your stern with out having to bend it. Plus I can do it in a multitude of font choice and gold leaf it. When you get it all you have to do is install it.

And to answer your question if you use plywood be prepared to do it every 2-3 years

PM me if that sounds like something you may like to look into.

Robert Meyer
05-12-2009, 2:11 PM
Ok, I see now that you need something to conform to the transom curve. If you want to do it yourself might I suggest that you laminate up a curved board on a frame that matches your transom? This should not be hard to do using 1/8th inch solid wood (Mahagony, white oak, etc.) plys and poly waterproof glue. You will find this much perferable to teak plywood as you will be insuring "quality control" over the results. Be sure to post photos of whatever you come up with. Best of luck.

Tony Bilello
05-12-2009, 8:47 PM
I think I will probably go with solid cypress. It's readily available and bends easily and once bent for just a few days, it tends to hold its new shape. You convinced me that plywood is out.
This probably wont happen till the fall as I am busy on a gazillion other projects.

Thanks to all for your info.

Robert Meyer
05-21-2009, 10:51 PM
I think the cypress may work. A fellow in town is building a Simmons Seaskiff using cypress for floors and frames. I've heard that cypress soaks up water like Sponge Bob. You might try soaking the piece/s in boiling hot water and applying them to the transom to conform to the shape?