PDA

View Full Version : Edge gluing acrylic with wood?

Anthony Welch
05-09-2009, 3:52 PM
If a person wanted to inlay 1/8" acrylic into 1/8" wood. How would it be best to glue the edges?

Just seeing if anyone has already done this.

My thoughts would be either Titebond II as it drys clear or clear silicone.
Any other ideas would be welcomed.

Thanks,
Anthony

Larry Bratton
05-09-2009, 7:18 PM
I get good results on "unlike" surfaces with plain old Superglue.

Bill Cunningham
05-09-2009, 10:41 PM
Weldbond drys clear and can glue just about anything to anything.. They say it's not tested on animals, so if you wanted to glue a weasel to a window you might be out of luck :D

Mike Null
05-10-2009, 6:06 AM
I also like Weldbond.

Anthony Welch
05-10-2009, 9:57 AM
Thanks for the suggestions. I''l start with the CA glue as I have the three viscosities of it.

Anthony

Richard Rumancik
05-11-2009, 11:57 AM
Be aware that the edged of laser cut acrylic can be sensitive to chemicals/solvents. Some manufacturer's grades are less prone to edge cracking/crazing than others. When you paint or bond the surface of the acrylic, it is less likely to crack, but when you concentrate a chemical on the laser cut edge it can initiate cracking. Best to do some tests on scraps first.

When you say "inlay" it really sounds like you are making a wood frame as both materials are 1/8".

I would try to scuff or sand the edges of the acrylic so it is not too clear. That would hide the adhesive better and may even alleviate cracking.

You might also want to consider leaving the paper mask on the acrylic until you have completed the bonding operation.