PDA

View Full Version : Help regarding wood

Dave Dionne
08-09-2004, 8:43 AM
Hey All
I am sure that for someone here this is a "been there done that" thing.

I own a old house built around 1800 in my attic I have the original wide pine floors anywhere from 8-14 inches wide and up to 10 feet long. The attic is used for a little storage. We ae slowly pulling up the floors to put in insulation(there is none) they are nailed with old square cut nails. No matter how careful we've been some of the boards have split or broken towards the ends. I want to use some of the is old growth pine for a blanket chest and some other things as well. I want to keep the character of the old wood including some of the nail holes, I know that I will need to brush it good before planing it so I don't ruin my knives. What should I do about the nail holes? Fill then with clear apoxy? What are some of the other choices? Anything else I should be aware of?

Thanks again for all your help, it makes it easier on a newbie like me to have a place full of freindly helpful people to turn to.

Dave Dionne

Jim Becker
08-09-2004, 8:59 AM
Most of the time that I've seen such material used for projects, the nail holes, etc., were left intact unless they would interfere with something structural. A butterfly or other inlay would be used in that case to secure the area. If you really want to fill the holes, black tinted epoxy/resin (such as West Systems or System 3) would work well. All IMHO, of course...

Dave Dionne
08-09-2004, 9:19 AM
Thanks Jim

I think I may leave them the way they are, I am going to line one trunk with cedar so they would be covered anyway.

Dave

Jim Becker
08-09-2004, 9:26 AM
It really comes down to the "look" you want...those boards have a lot of character just because they have age and usage. BTW, try not to plane off too much...this is the one time that you'll want to keep most of your thicknessing on the "back" (unseen) side of the boards. Cutting too deep with the planer may remove a lot of patina.

Greg Heppeard
08-09-2004, 9:31 AM
Just an idea...what about cutting the nails and pluging some of the holes with them? You could use a small amount of epoxy to secure them into the holes just before your final coat of finish.

Dave Dionne
08-09-2004, 3:29 PM
So ah Jim

I was thinking where these boards are rough campared to the finished sanded ones in the rest of the house that maybe you would just toss that new sander of yours in your vehicle and come on up? I
I'll buy the lobster.............lol

Thanks again for your help and suggestions

Dave

Jim Becker
08-09-2004, 3:38 PM
Or you could come on down...and bring said crustaceans with you... :D They and the lumber are far easier to transport than the sander!

Byron Trantham
08-09-2004, 10:35 PM
Or you could come on down...and bring said crustaceans with you... :D They and the lumber are far easier to transport than the sander!
Bragin', bragin', bragin... :p