PDA

View Full Version : The vortex is strong... Cant resist...

Dennis McGarry
05-09-2009, 12:08 PM
Ok well after getting my feet wet with a couple pens, drove out to WC and was only going to pick up a couple kits again. Ended up with this...

The two matching zircote are going to be a pen and pencil set..

Steve Schlumpf
05-09-2009, 1:36 PM
You picked up some really good looking blanks! Looking forward to seeing the results!

Mike Stephens
05-09-2009, 1:39 PM
Dennis the vortex is deeper then you realize. You have only just started your journey into it.

All I can say is that I started turning the very end of December and I am on my third lathe.

Good Luck,
Mike

alex carey
05-09-2009, 2:51 PM
Wow, you certainly are diving right in, looking forward to some of the finished products.

Bernie Weishapl
05-09-2009, 5:31 PM
Those are some great looking blanks. Yep the hole is deep and black. Welcome to the vortex.

David Drickhamer
05-09-2009, 9:48 PM
Dennis, beware, there is no escape.
Nice looking blanks. Looking forward to seeing some finished items.
Dave

Tom Henry
05-09-2009, 10:05 PM
Dennis-

There is no bottom...When I started I thought pens were fun...then my lathe broke...:eek:...I paniced and went out and bought a Jet 1442...:rolleyes: Now I have a talon chuck with all the accessories... I started my first bowl today...I have fallen and I am not looking for a way to get up...

So when you think that "little" purchase of pen blanks was bad...you haven't even began!!!!:D

Dennis McGarry
05-09-2009, 10:36 PM
Well decided to see what a piece looked like turned. I have to remember to take pics of it before it was turned as well. But here is the first pen out of the lot.

I still have to work on getting right down to the bushings, I am a little big. And the ca/blo finish, leaves a little to be desired, Maybe some more sanding between coats and more coats.. But I am getting there..

Billy Tallant
05-10-2009, 1:06 AM
Dennis, great looking pen to start with... One of the first tips I read was about getting down to the bushings...Turn down close to the bushing & then sand on down till you get to the bushing.

The vortex will keep you sucked dry... My fishing passion is getting killed... Bought a new boat last year. It is still sitting in the yard waiting to find time to take it to the lake.

Be careful, Woodcraft store will drain you. I go in for a pen or two, & leave with at least $100 worth of pen kits... This hobby is keeping my wallet flattened like a pancake... :)

Mark Norman
05-10-2009, 1:36 AM
Well decided to see what a piece looked like turned. I have to remember to take pics of it before it was turned as well. But here is the first pen out of the lot.

I still have to work on getting right down to the bushings, I am a little big. And the ca/blo finish, leaves a little to be desired, Maybe some more sanding between coats and more coats.. But I am getting there..
One down,,,,, forty one to go. you will have it down pat in no time. Keep up the good work!

Dan Forman
05-10-2009, 2:13 AM
Well, I reckon that will keep you out of trouble for a while!. For what it's worth, one of our local pen gurus says that he likes to leave his barrels just a tad proud of the fittings. He says that people assume they are supposed to be that way, but if the fittings are proud of the wood, it looks like an obvious mistake, and they will turn away.

Dan

David Gunn
05-11-2009, 1:13 AM
Yes, the vortex is deep. I started turning late December. I got a Jet mini for Christmas. I fired up my table saw today for this first time in months. I almost forgot I had one. :D

Jeff Nicol
05-11-2009, 5:04 AM
Dennis, I have a drawer in the shop that looks like that! I need to get busy too, but seems life and other things get in the way! Have fun and show us the fruits of your labor!

Jeff