PDA

View Full Version : Penn State & Thien Baffle

Curt Harms
05-09-2009, 11:55 AM
I've had this for a few weeks but wanted to use it for a while before posting. I have a Penn State 2 h.p. single stage DC. One difference between this model and others like Jet & Harbor freight is that it has a spiral ramp in the ring.
This presented a couple problems. One is how to attach a cartridge filter. Most methods out there depend on a flat ring as an attach point. The second problem was that the bottom of the spiral ramp ended almost flush with the bottom of the ring. I had to put the baffle above where the lower bag band clamp sat. I thought I was going to have to cut the baffle which presented its own problems. I leaned on the lower end of the ramp and -pop- the spot weld came loose. Halleliah! I was able to pop a couple other spot welds loose, raise the ramp up, pop rivet it in its new home and seal with construction adhesive.

The next challenge was how to attach the baffle. I was doing this using what I had and didn't value too highly. Particle board fit the criteria. One problem with particle board is that it doesn't hold fasteners all that well. Solution? Cross dowel connectors, worked great for two of the 3 fasteners.
The third bolt I just used a 1/2" PVC coupling as a spacer.
I did overlay the particle board with 1/8" hardboard because it was slippier than the particle board. Results? It works great! Before I did this, I cleaned the Wynn spun bond Poly filter I've had since 2006. Did the usual slap it (not too hard) with a 1X2, blow it out with compressed air then vacuum it out with a brush on shop vac. There was still dust in the folds. An advantage of the spun bond poly filter is that it can be washed. I got about a gallon of chips and dust(dry) even after compressed air and vacuuming. Here's how much dust and chips have gone thru the Thien baffle
I took the filter off this morning to see how much found its way into the filter. Not 1 chip! I'm not sure about sanding dust but there isn't much if any. I'm thrilled!!

Curt Harms
05-09-2009, 12:12 PM
Here's the cartridge filter attachment. I didn't want to poke more holes in the DC ring than necessary and this works well.
I sealed the top of the ring with adhesive backed weather stripping and it doesn't leak that I can tell. The Wynn cartridge filter has its own thick gasket.
Equal to or better than a cyclone? I doubt it very much, but it's a worthwhile upgrade to those of us with the single stage units.

The Thien baffle seems to introduce a tighter spin to the chips to where the "swirl" is only about a foot above the stationary chips and dust. I don't know why it works but it certainly seems to. It was a fun and rewarding project. Many thanks for Phil Thien for sharing this.

Curt

Ken Casser
05-09-2009, 3:08 PM
Nice work, Curt! Would that baffle do anything for my Jet 650 cfm? I don't think there's a separate filter in it like yours, so I'm wondering if there would be any benefit when everything just drops into the bottom bag anyway?

Curt Harms
05-10-2009, 12:11 PM
Nice work, Curt! Would that baffle do anything for my Jet 650 cfm? I don't think there's a separate filter in it like yours, so I'm wondering if there would be any benefit when everything just drops into the bottom bag anyway?
Hi Ken

I don't know how much of a performance hit the baffle causes. I didn't notice any decline in suction after installing the baffle, in fact is was better. But I also cleaned the filter, so I expect a performance increase from a cleaner filter. The primary purpose is to keep chips and dust from going up into the top filter, be it cartridge or bag. I don't know how much benefit there'd be with a bag style top filter because I'm not sure how much fine dust is kept in the lower bag instead of flowing to the top filter and plugging it. On the other hand, it's not expensive or very time consuming so trying it is an option. The only mod you'd have to do to a Jet is to drill 3 holes in the ring, and cover them somehow if the baffle idea didn't work out. Here is Phil Thien's board:
www(dot)cgallery.com/jpthien/cy.htm.

HTH

Curt

Wade Lippman
05-10-2009, 12:50 PM
Not 1 chip! I'm not sure about sanding dust but there isn't much if any. I'm thrilled!!

I don't think I ever got chips in my DC filter. The problem is fine dust that clogs the filters.
If you don't get any dust, and don't lose any suction, then the baffle is a miracle.

Curt Harms
05-11-2009, 12:57 PM
I don't think I ever got chips in my DC filter. The problem is fine dust that clogs the filters.
If you don't get any dust, and don't lose any suction, then the baffle is a miracle.

I had quite a bit of sawdust and small chips pre baffle. The filter was pretty plugged and washing it out got most of the fine stuff, there was still discoloration on the inside of the filter material. I haven't done much that produces sanding dust so it's too early to tell with real fine stuff. I'll tap & blow the filter after a couple bags worth of stuff then pull the filter and see how much falls on the top of the baffle. That might give some indication of how much dust is in the filter. I would get chips and dust everytime I worked on the filter prebaffle. I just didn't get them all and there was a buildup over time. I'm not sure how much having a flapper would have helped.