PDA

View Full Version : Payin it forward

Mark Norman
05-09-2009, 10:52 AM
I live in the Sierra Nevada mountians about an hour drive from Yosemite National Park and I work about an hour in the opposite direction in Merced. I commute on the YARTS (Yosemite Area Regional Transportation System) bus to work and back. It is intended as a tour bus that takes people into the park from the Merced and does double duty as a commuter bus for park employees and a few of us that commute in the opposite direction.

On my way home from work on the bus last night I met a guy by the name of Simon, a young lad that was here to visit the states from his home in Austria. We started chatting and he tells me he's just out of six month mandatory military school after completing high school and taking six weeks to tour our wonderful nation befor going to college. He speaks our language amazingly well. He has one week left to visit Yosemite and then off to New York for his final week before heading home. As it turns out, the bus does not go all the way into the park on this particular run so he was more or less stranded for the night. I ask if he is self contained i.e. tent and sleeping bag and replies of course. I offer him a place on my property to camp out for the night and he is grateful. I tell him I have to head back to Merced early in the morning and I could drop him off at the bus stop so he could continue his journey.

Well, I call home and ask my wife Lori what’s for dinner and if we have enough for one more plate. She says yeah sure, who ya bringing home? Just another tourist I tell her (I've done this a couple times before). We get to my home and I introduce him to my family including the big dogs who are excited to have the company. We chat for a while and my kids are showing off. James plays his ocarina and the organ and Randi plays a song on her clarinet for him. She has been practicing and is getting remarkably good. We all have a sit down dinner and talk a little about his culture as compared to ours while eating a wonderful chicken dinner. After which the kids challenge him to a game of bowling on the wi and they play while I sit at the computer and check my boards.

Well, I offer him a blanket and pillow and the use of our sofa so he wont have to set up his tent and have to take it down at 4:30 in the morning darkness. He is grateful and I send the kids off to bed and tuck em in. We chat for a little wile and 10:30 is upon us real soon so its time for bed.
I wake him this morning and we have a cup of coffee while I put me boots on. We talk a little more about world affairs as I drive him back to the bus stop. when we get there, as he is getting out of my pickup he asks "what do I owe you? as he reaches for his wallet. I tell him "nothing but your gratitude" He is pleased and takes his back pack from the bed of the truck. I hand him my business card and tell him he could send us a post card when he returns to Austria. He says with a smile "will do!"

It was a win-win situation, he got a place to stay and a hot meal when he was otherwise stranded many miles from home and my family gets not only his company but a taste of life in a foreign country half way across the world. My kids get to experience the rewards of kindness to others and I hope will learn a lesson of compassion from the whole deal. And he will take home one special memory of one humble little family nestled up in the Sierra Mountains, one he will likely remember for a long time.

I sincerely hope if more people all over the world would practice random acts of kindness such as this, it would not be long till the whole world could live in harmony. Fat chance you say, but I can hold onto hope.

I share this with you all not to get kudos or any sort of recognition but in hopes the next time you have a chance to be kind to someone else in a similar circumstance you just might think of my story of Simon and will lend a hand to another human being.

I hope you all have a wonderfull day today.

Mark

Phyllis Meyer
05-09-2009, 11:00 AM
Dear Mark,

What a wonderful story, truly! You are right, and in these tough times even the smallest of things we can do to help someone can be such a Blessing to them...and us! You have an awesome day also!

Sincerely,
Phyllis:)

John Schreiber
05-09-2009, 11:04 AM
It's great to hear a reminder that doing the right thing isn't simply right. It's also usually more fun.

Thank you for the story and for making the world a better place.

Curt Harms
05-09-2009, 11:17 AM
A+ Good job!

Jim Rimmer
05-09-2009, 10:50 PM
Great story. Thanks for sending him home with a good feeling about Americans.

Jim O'Dell
05-09-2009, 11:21 PM
That's the best foreign policy statement I've heard in a long long time. Thanks for being there for him, and opening our eyes at the same time. Jim.

Mark Norman
05-09-2009, 11:51 PM
I just did what I felt was right. I honestly feel that if we all could manage to lend a hand to one another the human race has a hope.

Thanks to you all who may take something from this and when given an opportunity will do the same.

Like planting a seed,,,a seed of good will if you will....

I got one pic of Simon at the dinner table...His expression speaks volumes...

http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t116/triangle5/100_1575.jpg

Yeah, I gave him a beer..

Kev Godwin
05-10-2009, 12:03 AM
That story was much appreciated from my own personal perspective. Kindness and assistance can sure come at unexpected times. Many years ago I was rescued by a man I didn't know in a rural area during a severe (unexpected) blizzard. The man thought he heard a vehicle go by his rural home in near white-out conditions. He left in his own vehicle and found me stranded 2 miles away and not knowing where I was.

We are more than 20 years apart in age and are close friends to this day. Mark, you are a person to the rescue. Good for you!

Mark Norman
05-10-2009, 1:19 AM
Good to see I'm not the only one Kev:) God bless! Glad someone came to you in your time of need and a bonus is the lifetime of friendship:D Good deal!