PDA

View Full Version : 3 or 4 wheel power feed

Philip Johnson
05-09-2009, 9:35 AM
Is there a big difference between a power feed with 3 wheels or 4 wheels. Looking to get a new shaper next week at the Woodcraft sale and might get a power feed at the same time probably the powermatic PF 31 or 41

David Freed
05-09-2009, 11:37 AM
Many companies offer the same basic feeder with your choice of 3 or 4 wheels. The extra wheel does not add much to the cost and is well worth the added stability.

David DeCristoforo
05-09-2009, 11:56 AM
In most cases, the 4 wheel feeder will be "better". It will provide 2 infeed and 2 outfeed wheels. With 3 wheeled feeders, you must choose between having 2 wheels on one side or the other. The "trade off" (yes, it would seem that there is always a trade off) is that the 3 wheel feeders are a bit more "versatile" when it comes to "close-in" positioning.

Steve Rozmiarek
05-09-2009, 2:13 PM
I've got a big three wheeler, and although the situation has never come up, I think it would be possible to need a four wheeler if you where to be shaping a narrow piece, with a big cutter sunk into the table. That might cause the one wheel end of the feeder to flex the work down into the shaper cutout as the loose end clears the cutter. You'd have to be doing some radical thing that I can't even think of an example of for this to happen. There are also some better procedures that would eliminate this. I'm no expert, but I've never found my three wheeler lacking on anything I've done.

Joe Jensen
05-09-2009, 2:24 PM
I bought a 3 wheel because the 4 wheel looked soooo big. Now that I have the 3 wheel i see that it's not really practical to move it around and I would prefer a 4 wheel so I could have 2 wheels on each side of the cutterhead when shaping.

Peter Quinn
05-09-2009, 3:06 PM
Ditto what David said. If you are taking an opinion poll, put me down for four wheel being a bit better at most things. I often wind up running the middle wheel on a three wheel feeder just in front of TDC, or as close as I can get it given the cutter in use and the board thickness being shaped. Now and then a set up arises where it might be better to have two outfeed wheels. For the majority of situations in my work there is little practical difference, or at least the difference is very marginal.

J.R. Rutter
05-09-2009, 4:01 PM
One other reason why I like a 4-wheeler is that if you tend to run parts both L to R and R to L, you can simply pivot the feeder to adjust the toe-in.

Philip Johnson
05-09-2009, 7:53 PM
I thought there was more of a price difference but now that I look its only 100 bucks. Is there anything good or bad with the powermatic power feeders? The only reason I am looking at them is I will probably get the powermatic shaper so it would bolt on and match color wise, other then that no real reason other then the 20 percent off next weekend at Woodcraft.

Rod Sheridan
05-09-2009, 8:23 PM
Go with the four wheel feeders for all the reasons previously mentioned..........Regards, Rod.

Jeff Duncan
05-11-2009, 10:09 AM
I use one of each and they both get the job done.

There is only one reason that comes to mind to favor the 3 wheeler......when (not if) you replace the stock rubber wheels on your feeder, it will be 1 tire cheaper;)
good luck,
JeffD