PDA

View Full Version : PC 7518 router speed?

Jay Yoder
05-09-2009, 7:09 AM
I picked up 2 used 7518 routers, one with base, one a single speed without base. I was thinking of putting the single speed one (without a base) in a woodpecker lift and using an aftermarket variable speed control to control it. My question is, has anyone done this with these routers? what controllers were used? Are these routers soft start? thanks for your input!

Bob Lloyd
05-09-2009, 9:06 AM
Jay

I was looking at that kind of set up but finished up getting a new 75182 for $200 on Craigslist. The 7519 is soft start and all the variable speed controls that I looked at would not work with soft start motors. I did read somewhere ( I believe on another forum) that the router motor could be altered, effectively removing the soft start part of the wiring. Unfortunately I cannot remember where but I am sure someone here would know how it is possible.

Bob

Bob Lloyd
05-09-2009, 10:17 AM
Jay

I found the link, I will send you a PM.

Bob

Ray Frederick
05-09-2009, 9:40 PM
Bob,

I have this router and would definitely like to have the link for altering the motor. I have some handrail to run that I don't have a shaper cutter for and since I have the router bit I'd rather slow down the router I have that has soft start and run it that way.

Thanks,
Ray

Bob Lloyd
05-10-2009, 6:50 AM
Ray

I will PM you the link because it is on another forum. I did not do the modification as I bought a 75182 but the link should get you the answer.

Bob

Jay Yoder
05-10-2009, 9:27 PM
Thanks Bob. Great info. I take it that means that the single speed motor is soft start ? It sure "torques" to full speed very quickly!!

Larry Edgerton
05-11-2009, 7:47 AM
Thanks Bob. Great info. I take it that means that the single speed motor is soft start ? It sure "torques" to full speed very quickly!!

If it was used in an industrial application they may have already bypassed the soft start. I bypassed a couple of mine, its very simple.

Jay Yoder
05-11-2009, 10:18 PM
I believe it was used industrially, maybe even for machining solid surface couters. How can i tell for sure if it has been bypassed? could u PM me directions?