PDA

View Full Version : Question on Grizzly 1021 planer

Brian Hughner
05-09-2009, 12:19 AM
Had a Grizzly planer pop up on Craigslist today. The listing stated "Grizzly 15" planer on stand on wheels.. PERFECT condition.. less than 10 hours use.. extra set of blades included."

The price is $500. No model listed but the seller indicated it was a "1021". I'm thinking its the 1021 and not the 1021Z, X or X2 models.

Going to check out the planer tomorrow and have been trying to find information on this planer. Not much out there that I've found. Is this a good price for what appears to be an older unit? What should I be on the lookout for as far as wear and tear, etc.

This planer would replace a Ridgid 1300 benchtop.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Mark Godlesky
05-09-2009, 1:09 AM
Grizzly has their manuals on line.

http://www.grizzly.com/images/manuals/g1021_m.pdf

Russ Massery
05-09-2009, 6:43 AM
Hep, A clone of the Delta 380. A good machine I would try and talk him down a little on the price.

Perry Underwood
05-10-2009, 7:41 AM
One thing I noticed in the manual is that this machine is set up to run on 220 volts. Brian, do you have 220 in your shop?

From the manual:

The G1021 Planer motor is wired to operate at 220V only. A cordset without a 220V plug is included with the Model G1021. Plugs and receptacles can be purchased at your local hardware store or home center. When connecting to 220V, ensure that the electrical circuit is in fact a 220V circuit. Contact your local electrical contractor if uncertain about converting to 220V operation.

Brian Hughner
05-10-2009, 8:12 AM
Yes, I have 220 for a Grizzly 513X2 Bandsaw I picked up in January.

I ended up purchasing the planer yesterday. The machine is in very good shape, very little rust, all the cast iron was very clean. All the mechanical and electrical pieces were in good working condition. Even the paint was in almost factory condition. It also had all the manuals, an extra set of knives and the knife setting jig. The seller was firm on the price but I was able to get him to throw in a 25 foot 220V extension cord, which works great for me since my 220 is on the other side of the room from where I want to put the planer.

You can tell just from how it sounds when you power it up that its a completely different beast than the benchtop planer I have now. Looking forward to running years of board feet through it.