PDA

View Full Version : Table Saw Gloat

Jason Hallowell
05-08-2009, 11:37 PM
I had been saving up for a cabinet saw, but the premature failure of my saws motor prompted me to start shopping early, and with a smaller than expected budget.

Thanks to a soft economy and craigslist I picked up something that should serve me well for a while. It's a powermatic model 64 with 52" rails, a home made runout table, and two nice blades all for only $250!!! It had hardly been used at all, but it was also never tuned up or adjusted in any way. I spent most of a day getting everything square, true, and re-wiring it for 230v.

Today I finally got around to the restaurant supply store and made up some zero clearance inserts out of a $7 cutting board.

I am truly impressed at how smooth running and powerful this saw is. I think the coffee table in the pic will be the first of many projects for this saw.

glenn bradley
05-08-2009, 11:40 PM
WOW. Great score. I've sold a C-man (tricked out) for that much.

Eric Roberge
05-08-2009, 11:44 PM
Ditto! Nice score Jason!

Stephen Edwards
05-08-2009, 11:46 PM
Nice score! What material are the cutting boards made of? If I were looking for them on the net what would I search for? Thanks.

Jason Hallowell
05-09-2009, 12:02 AM
Nice score! What material are the cutting boards made of? If I were looking for them on the net what would I search for? Thanks.

It just says "poly". Here is a link to what I used-http://www.standardrestaurant.com/ecom/app/stockDetail.action?stockNo=87702

It was a little too thick, and had a rough surface, so I ran it through the planer a few times. The 12x18 size gave me 3 full size blanks, and one that's about 3/16" short. It's not as durable as UHMW plastic, which is what I really should have used, but it was cheap and readily available.

scott spencer
05-09-2009, 7:25 AM
Congrats Jason! Great find.....heck, the fence is worth the asking price!
Nice looking setup...

Bob Genovesi
05-09-2009, 7:34 AM
Jason,

Great gloat indeed!! I'm sure that your new saw will provide you with many years of trouble free performance...

Dell Moore
05-09-2009, 9:50 AM
Sweet! Did the outfeed and side tables come with it? And nice coffee table!

Jason Hallowell
05-09-2009, 1:26 PM
Sweet! Did the outfeed and side tables come with it? And nice coffee table!

Yep, both tables came with, but I think I'm going to have to put another support under the outfeed/assembly table. It flexes a little if I put too much weight in the middle.

Stephen Edwards
05-09-2009, 2:54 PM
It just says "poly". Here is a link to what I used-http://www.standardrestaurant.com/ecom/app/stockDetail.action?stockNo=87702

It was a little too thick, and had a rough surface, so I ran it through the planer a few times. The 12x18 size gave me 3 full size blanks, and one that's about 3/16" short. It's not as durable as UHMW plastic, which is what I really should have used, but it was cheap and readily available.

Thanks, Jason. I appreciate the link!

Von Bickley
05-09-2009, 3:54 PM
Sounds like you stole it to me............ Good deal. :D

Kelly C. Hanna
05-09-2009, 4:03 PM
Sweet saw....and a very good deal! The laminate top might be strong enough if it has a good substrate...also you might be able to add to the bottom [think torsion box]. Then you can hang your router....nice setup!