PDA

View Full Version : Check this on your Helix

Bob Davis
05-08-2009, 11:32 PM
Hi Epilog owners,
While investigating our relatively new machine (Helix 45w) I discovered something that has the potential to lead to all sorts of problems. It's a very simple but not obvious quirk that can be easily avoided if you're aware of it.
The ribbon cable on the beam can catch on a projection inside the channel unless the cable is routed well away from the side of the channel. The attached photo shows the problem.
The problem will only occur if the machine is engraving on the RHS of the bed. The cable can catch on the nut and either flip itself off the nut (wearing the cable / wearing the connections / eventually damaging the cable / possibly ruining the job) or get caught completely leading to immediate damage.
Quite possibly this is the cause of x axis problems on these machines and can be easily avoided if you are aware of it. If you've been having problems it is worth a check.

Mike Chance in Iowa
05-09-2009, 1:04 AM
The same thing happens on the Epilog Mini.

Rangarajan Saravana kumar
05-09-2009, 4:15 AM
Hi,
Similarly when the rod which carries the hose, while not screwed properly or loosened, it tends to bend a bit.. that would lead a way to scratch or have friction with x axis module, creating some problems

Regards,
saravanakumar

Frank Corker
05-09-2009, 6:14 AM
I discovered that the first time I cleaned the machine. I must admit I thought it was a bit daft. I just put a piece of clear tape across the nut and it glides over it fine and has done so since.