PDA

View Full Version : Incra 1000SE problem

Michael Weber
05-08-2009, 11:23 PM
Kind of a newish 1000SE. Cuts great at 90 degrees (after I adjusted it). A 4 inch board cut in half, then butt the two cut edges together after flipping one and there is no gap. However when I then put the gauge in the 45 degree notch this is what I get.
I have to use the vernier to reduce to 44.8 degrees to get tight joints. Kind of disappointing considering how highly everyone speaks of this product. And yes, all the pieces are the same length and width plus I tried it multiple times. Anyone else experience this?

glenn bradley
05-08-2009, 11:43 PM
The fence on my Incra had to be replaced. The replacement was only half as bad and I had to shim it with foil tape to get it true. Lay a straight edge along your fence and see if as you move away from the miter bar, a gap appears. That's what mine did (does without shims). In other words the gauge is correct but the fence is not realiably 90* for its length. My gauge is top notch; the fence is so-so.

Eric Roberge
05-08-2009, 11:50 PM
I had the same issue out of the box. I did what Glenn just said and used my Combo square against the blade and could see that the gap increased further down the fence. I just loosened the three bolts that are flat on the gauge and adjusted it square and tightned. Cuts perfect 45s now.

Joe Scharle
05-09-2009, 7:50 AM
Build/buy a cutoff sled and never look back!

Michael Weber
05-09-2009, 11:13 AM
So Glenn, your saying the fence may not be perfectly flat along it's entire length? Thats about the only thing that makes sense and I never considered that. So if the fence is out of flat on the extreme end closest to the blade that might explain it since I used such short pieces to check for 45. I'll give it a check this morning. To everyone else that offered advice, thanks. I do have a crosscut sled I can use but wanted this as well. I did loosen the 3 screws on the Incra gauge to adjust to 90 degrees.

glenn bradley
05-09-2009, 12:13 PM
So Glenn, your saying the fence may not be perfectly flat along it's entire length?

Yes. If it proves to be so, Incra was really quick to send me a replacement on my problem.