PDA

View Full Version : More G0513 Talk - Quieter/Cleaner Now

glenn bradley
05-08-2009, 10:21 PM
With all the discussion this tool seems to bring up we seem to have quite a little community out there. As my saw was winding down a few days ago I noticed a kinda of clunk-clunk-clunk-clunk that followed the motor rotation, not the blade (I dress my welds).

I wrote Grizzly tech support and in their usual fashion, they were all over it. I pulled the motor cover and found the fan/centrifugal unit was cockeyed. It is retained by a split-collar grip to the motor shaft for orientation and linear position. I adjusted it.

During the time I had waited for Griz to respond (overnight), I had done some troubleshooting on my own. This led me to remove the belt (noise still there of course as I hadn't found the real problem), removed the pulley, etc.

I figured as long as I had the belt off I would put on the link belt that I had hanging on a nail. Along with silencing the clutch noise which I always assumed was normal (till is got louder) and the addition of the link belt, I cannot believe how quiet and smooth this guy runs (nickle test no problem before this effort).

Here is a shot of the throat restricter I added (I've seen these on those cool Italian jobs at the shows) which has drastically helped in my dust collection. I sometimes just seal off the lower hose now as so little dust gets by this area. Hope this helps any others out there who want to tweak their machine.

John Keeton
05-09-2009, 6:15 AM
Great improvements Glenn! I haven't noticed the need to go to the link belt, but certainly the restrictor idea is one that I will do! I rarely get much dust in the lower compartment anyway, but if I can improve the DC, it would be an easy addition.

Most of my "lost dust" is above the lower compartment - on the table, in the lower guide area. It isn't much, and I don't know of a good fix for that, other than periodic cleanup.

Russ Massery
05-09-2009, 6:26 AM
I might add on mine I drilled six 1/4" holes next to the guide assembly 3 on each side of it. This gets most of the dust that like sit there. Other wise mine has been smooth and quiet right out of the crate. In fact was amazed how quiet it was compared to my old 60"s era 14" Delta.

John Keeton
05-09-2009, 7:00 AM
Russ, I now recall you posting about that previously - even with a follow up pic. Do you recall the thread? I don't recall exactly where you put the holes - were they in the top of the lower compartment?

glenn bradley
05-09-2009, 12:19 PM
Great improvements Glenn! I haven't noticed the need to go to the link belt.

I think the factory belt was fine. I just put the link belt on because I had it handy ;).

I might add on mine I drilled six 1/4" holes next to the guide assembly 3 on each side of it.

Russ, I now recall you posting about that previously - even with a follow up pic. Do you recall the thread? I don't recall exactly where you put the holes - were they in the top of the lower compartment?

I would love to see that one too Russ. I picked up a 4x4x2.5 wye and some stiff flex hose that I was going to target that area right below the table with. If I could avoid that kludge, that would be great.

Russ Massery
05-09-2009, 1:26 PM
I'll take some pic's this afternoon and post them. Yes John, I remember the post just didn't get around to taking them.

jerry nazard
05-09-2009, 5:51 PM
Glenn, that is a great addition.

RE: dust directly under the table. I took a 5" length of 4" flex hose, slit it along its length, and inserted it between the bottom of the table and the top of the cabinet. It seems to help, although the overall dust collection on this machine is quite good to begin with.

I am beginning to treat the 513 like a prized handplane: a tweak here, a bit of fettling there. It certainly is a fun machine to own!

Russ Massery
05-16-2009, 6:44 PM
Sorry it took so long but here the are. I removed the table so you can see them better.

John Keeton
05-16-2009, 6:59 PM
Excellent!! Thanks for all the effort to post this, Russ.

glenn bradley
05-16-2009, 7:38 PM
Yeah, thanks Russ. I have been playing around with a piece of that 2-1/2" rigid flex (http://images.rockler.com/rockler/images/29812-07-500.jpg) and aiming it up in there. I think the holes would do as well and be a lot less cumbersome.

Wade Lippman
05-16-2009, 11:55 PM
With all the discussion this tool seems to bring up we seem to have quite a little community out there. As my saw was winding down a few days ago I noticed a kinda of clunk-clunk-clunk-clunk that followed the motor rotation, not the blade (I dress my welds).

I wrote Grizzly tech support and in their usual fashion, they were all over it. I pulled the motor cover and found the fan/centrifugal unit was cockeyed. It is retained by a split-collar grip to the motor shaft for orientation and linear position. I adjusted it.

Can you detail the fan issue a bit better for those of us not mechanically inclined?
I have had a clunk clunk since I got it. Works fine, but maybe it has issues.