PDA

View Full Version : Jet - WMH - GREAT customer support!

Mike Minto
05-08-2009, 9:25 PM
I recently bought a 1014VSI mini-lathe from JET. I was more fortunate than many in that I had no damage to my machine, particularly the VS control box, which I understand some buyers have had arrive broken in some fashion. My only complaint (small that it was) was that some paint was chipped here and there, particularly on the banjo. I dropped a line to WMH tool group (passing on the comments from many about the not infrequently damaged control box) about the chipping, and today arrived a large can - in a really large box, well packed - of 'JET' colored paint. Last year, I also received excellent support when I bought my Jet wet sharpener, which had a couple of problems (I've since sold that machine). The lady who helped me with the paint issue said she would pass the comments on regarding packing the mini-lathes. FYI, I've experienced the tailstock 'creep' some have mentioned, when extending the quill on a piece of stock. I understand that Monster Tools sells a replacement piece which can help eliminate that 'creep' - anyone bought that add-on? Mike

Brian Effinger
05-08-2009, 11:30 PM
FYI, I've experienced the tailstock 'creep' some have mentioned, when extending the quill on a piece of stock. I understand that Monster Tools sells a replacement piece which can help eliminate that 'creep' - anyone bought that add-on? Mike

I thought that was something unique to me & my mini-lathe. I'd be interested to see what can be done about it also. Mike, did you mention this to Jet?

Mike Minto
05-09-2009, 9:10 AM
Brian, no, I didn't think of it, but will drop them a line regarding that today. If you go to Monster Tools website, look under the tab, 'Mini Lathe' - they sell replacement 'blocks' to replace Jet's round ones. But maybe we can get Jet to do something for free, first. We'll see. Mike

Jon McCoy
05-11-2009, 1:38 PM
I've experienced the tailstock 'creep' some have mentioned, when extending the quill on a piece of stock. I understand that Monster Tools sells a replacement piece which can help eliminate that 'creep' - anyone bought that add-on? Mike

The round washer supplied by Jet doesn't provide enough friction to keep the toolrest nor the tailstock in place -- if you torque down hard on the handle to compensate, you'll eventually deform and strip the threads on the bolt. If the tailstock isn't used to drill, or to provide much tailstock pressure, maybe it's not an issue. Same with the toolrest, unless you're levering against it (spinning pewter, coring), you might not notice.

Jet replaced the damaged bolts on my 1220 under warranty (first they tried to sell me the replacement parts), and I installed the T-washers from Monster Tools. Great solution, great guy.

-jon-

Chris Struttman
05-11-2009, 2:33 PM
Has anyone found a fix for the tool rest lever? I can't seem to tighten down the lever that keeps the tool rest from spinning. It tightens to a point but the rest can still move when force is put on it. I have stripped two levers already. It can really cause a problem when you have the long tool rest on the lathe. I'm using a 1220 but the parts are shared by the 1014.

Mike Minto
05-11-2009, 3:45 PM
Do any of you think a homemade replacement made of wood (like many of us make to secure bowl steadies, and the like) would work in place of the round washers the lathe came with, or would it have to be made from metal to do the job? Just trying to save money, :D, Mike

Joshua Dinerstein
05-11-2009, 5:33 PM
I would second the comment. Jet/Powermatic/WMH are seriously great at customer support. So it The Toolnut and Sean there specifically. I got some extra stuff with my Powermatic 3520b last summer that wasn't running true. I contacted them and they took care of the problem immediately.

It is nice to deal with such great companies and shame that it stands out so blatantly as different...

Joshua

Brian Effinger
05-11-2009, 10:07 PM
Do any of you think a homemade replacement made of wood (like many of us make to secure bowl steadies, and the like) would work in place of the round washers the lathe came with, or would it have to be made from metal to do the job? Just trying to save money, :D, Mike

I would think that a wooden washer would get beat-up and broken pretty quickly. I don't know how much force is generated in the clamping, but I bet it is a lot. I do agree about saving money though. I thought it was a little pricey for a couple thick square washers. If they were half of that, they'd be on order already.