PDA

View Full Version : Help identifying this veneer

Jeremy Niemann
08-08-2004, 11:30 PM
Ok folks, long time lurker first time poster here...

I got a good deal on some veneer sheets today, but I need assistance identifiying a particular one. The salesman at the woodworking store was of the opinion that it was maple, but myself and another salesman had some doubt. Compared to other maple veneer samples (quilted, fiddleback, curly, birdseye, etc) that were also there, it was just too different to be sure (unfortunately the supplier did not label this particular selection). While I ended up buying it anyways, I still would like to pin it down for sure to the wood species (it just bugs me otherwise not to know). I've checked a couple of online lumber/veneer sites but didn't really find a match.

Any gurus care to lend an opinion or guess? I'm including a scanned image of an 8"x11" section. I cut back on the scanned detail in order to decrease the file size, but can provide higher res if necessary.

Michael Ballent
08-09-2004, 12:03 AM
Maybe it's some sort of birdseye maple variant??? I see some curl like from curly maple, it could be a result of the way it was cut

Jim Ketron
08-09-2004, 12:30 AM
Looks Like Maple to me Not shure what kind?
Welcome to the Creek!
Jim

Pete Harbin
08-09-2004, 12:58 AM
Another vote for Maple.

Roger Barga
08-09-2004, 2:10 AM
Your veneer is Birch, specifically Karelian Burl - it is an unusual form of burl, though common to birch but not to other species, that gives the appearance of swirls or flames instead of the "eyes" that are more common to other burls. In some flitches (logs) the flames are outlined with dark brown or black lines. Looking forward to seeing what you make with this veneer.

Cheers,
Roger

John Shuk
08-09-2004, 8:02 AM
My guess is Birch Burl as well. Here is a small birch burl that I turned. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=10475
I turned this and finished it with BLO and Shellac. The Blo really picked up the figure and it just seems to glow which really fit nicely with the "sunburst" pattern.

Ken Fitzgerald
08-09-2004, 8:17 AM
:confused: I'll let someone with more experience determine what species the wood is :confused: .....but......Welcome to the 'Creek, Jeremy! :D

Jeremy Niemann
08-09-2004, 10:41 AM
Your veneer is Birch, specifically Karelian Burl - it is an unusual form of burl, though common to birch but not to other species, that gives the appearance of swirls or flames instead of the "eyes" that are more common to other burls. In some flitches (logs) the flames are outlined with dark brown or black lines. Looking forward to seeing what you make with this veneer.

Cheers,
Roger
Thanks for the assistance! I'm inclined to lean toward the suggestion of it being Karelian Birch Burl rather than maple based on comparison to similar pics on the internet search.

Rather exciting to find since it doesn't seem as common. The lot that I bought was about 10 bookmatched sheets, about 20"x24" in size. I also got a similar sized lot of 10 Brazilian Rosewood sheets as well, plus a nice 10"x30" batch of 10 Birdseye Maple, all for about $80. My plan is to use some on tops for some larger size shaker oval boxes, where you have to start using veneered plywood for strength due to the increase in dimensions. It will take me forever to use that much quantity of veneer stock, but I couldn't pass up such gorgeous wood.

Paul Downes
08-09-2004, 9:15 PM
Looks like flame birch. Amazing that some furniture manufacturers consider this a defect. That would be yellow birch. I just picked up several boards 8"-10" wide X 8-9' long on a trade for walnut. (Stelth gloat). :)